Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 10:57 AM

99 posts, read 112,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTransplant View Post
Sprouts is great and has good produce, Mountain View is good - just has a smaller selection and Toucan Market is fine but pricey. Albertsons is no better or worse than you'd find anywhere else from my experience shopping there.
I do most of my shopping at Sprouts. I haven't had much luck with bananas, avocados, or multiple types of greens there. Sprouts reminds me of Trader Joe's. Not a fan of the limited selection. I know many like Trader Joe's. If you do, you will probably like Sprouts.

Given the size, Mountain View is more like a corner grocery store.

My limited experience with Toucans was that it was "extremely" pricey. If I remember correctly, I purchased Green Mountain Gringos salsa and it was more than double the typical price.

The Albertsons here are dirty, dark and the staff unfriendly. In my experience, they are well down the list of these type of supermarkets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 11:02 AM

To compare, I came here from a similarly sized area, Asheville, NC. It had multiple Publix, multiple Whole Foods, multiple Earth Fares, Harris Teeter and many locations of a regional typical grocery chain, Ingles, that all would be considered the best store here.

Last edited by mountainstosea; 05-03-2020 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-05-2020, 07:40 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,617,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstosea View Post
To compare, I came here from a similarly sized area, Asheville, NC. It had multiple Publix, multiple Whole Foods, multiple Earth Fares, Harris Teeter and many locations of a regional typical grocery chain, Ingles, that all would be considered the best store here.
Asheville is a far more affluent area.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:29 PM

Makes sense. Surprised there's not even one though. I'm sure it will happen sooner than later.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:56 AM

I realize that if I move to LC I will be "roughing it". I'm used to unlimited water, green stuff growing, and all stores one could desire, and sticking my hand in my garden dirt without a glove and never looking to see what could be lurking in there. I also am in an area where I never worry about my car being stolen or broken into. I seriously wonder sometimes if I would regret moving to NM, it doesn't seem the local or state police have a grip on crime.
But...I hate winter. In Michigan it could snow tonight, low 25. High today is 45. We're well below average, and it feels like punishment.
LC seems to have the perfect climate for me. I like it hot. I adjust come summer and it doesn't bother me until into the 90's, but that's in a very humid climate in direct sun.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:01 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,283,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I realize that if I move to LC I will be "roughing it". I'm used to unlimited water, green stuff growing, and all stores one could desire, and sticking my hand in my garden dirt without a glove and never looking to see what could be lurking in there. I also am in an area where I never worry about my car being stolen or broken into. I seriously wonder sometimes if I would regret moving to NM, it doesn't seem the local or state police have a grip on crime.
But...I hate winter. In Michigan it could snow tonight, low 25. High today is 45. We're well below average, and it feels like punishment.
LC seems to have the perfect climate for me. I like it hot. I adjust come summer and it doesn't bother me until into the 90's, but that's in a very humid climate in direct sun.
40 years in Cruces and not one burglary, not one car broken into (did have one broken into in Albuq), all the water I ever could use (though a sprinkler had an underground leak once and that resulted in a $300 bill), no deadly insect or reptile bites. I do miss some of the goods you can buy in a larger, more affluent area. It's much better than it used to be. Some goods are available in El Paso and Amazon and the rest of the internet are a reliable source for a lot of high end goods. The Mesilla Valley is relatively green too. Not like Michigan (born in Detroit myself) of course but large orchards and fields of lettuce chile and onion can have you forget you're in the desert.

It's going to be mid 80's, dry and sunny today. A beautiful day to work on the yard and enjoy a cold beverage on the patio. As I write this at dawn, it's 55.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
40 years in Cruces and not one burglary, not one car broken into (did have one broken into in Albuq), all the water I ever could use (though a sprinkler had an underground leak once and that resulted in a $300 bill), no deadly insect or reptile bites. I do miss some of the goods you can buy in a larger, more affluent area. It's much better than it used to be. Some goods are available in El Paso and Amazon and the rest of the internet are a reliable source for a lot of high end goods. The Mesilla Valley is relatively green too. Not like Michigan (born in Detroit myself) of course but large orchards and fields of lettuce chile and onion can have you forget you're in the desert.

It's going to be mid 80's, dry and sunny today. A beautiful day to work on the yard and enjoy a cold beverage on the patio. As I write this at dawn, it's 55.
Thanks TKO, that's so good to hear. I really do want to make the move in a couple years after things settle down with this virus and we all know where we stand.
I'm jealous reading your post! I was studying growing hatch chilis. Something I think I could really enjoy in a desert garden. Here in Michigan by the time the first bell pepper is ready to pick, growing season is over.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:06 AM

78 posts, read 109,691 times
Default How to Help Keep NM Enchanting & Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
And I hope that the snakes keep people away so that more 2200 sq ft homes aren't built. Thats the last thing we need. Don't like rattlesnakes? Solution is simple: stay in NY or Chicago or Detroit... Your stated desire for greater destruction of natural habitat and native species is disturbing and irresponsible.
Indeed, your concerns with over development, over population, deforestation and species extinction in NM are keenly shared. Though anything but a world traveler, I’ve had the same boundless and lifelong Steve and Bindy Irwin kind of adoration for all green space and wildlife-especially those of the American southwest-and in parts of Australia, Tanzania and South Africa-since I was a kid. Deforestation and of biodiversity, primarily due to the global human birth rate (> 100 million/year since the early 60s), domestic over immigration, deliberately by that those like Trump’s eco-idiot friend in Brazil and consequent soaring climate change is a deeply painful and sinful tragedy.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/w...-1226560803039
I have met several NM residents at this forum who share my feelings on this. Some like me are also child free, strive to minimize fossil fuel use and consumer waste and recycle whenever possible.

That said, the SW’s snake vs. human population is clearly unsafe, where a measured amount of culling or spot killing is unfortunately in order, as it sometimes is with bears in NJ and elsewhere. It goes beyond being just another scared NYer who’s happily never encountered a reptile more dangerous than a small garter snake (they’re really cute), whose life I was happy to have saved from my Dad’s wacko dog. I’m very fit but past 60 and don’t want to spend my so-called golden years worrying about mistaking venomous snakes for others. https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...600&carousel=1

And snakes, javelinas, scorpions and black widows are obviously enough of a hazardous nuisance that there are loads of these contractors throughout NM.
https://aallanimalcontrol.com/albuqu...snake-removal/

Nor do I think I ought to pay upwards of $500/year to have the pests removed from my less than perfectly snake proofed back or side yards. That yearly sum’s no doubt far larger than a community tax for the town to cull rat populations if rodents are as much a problem in NM as claimed in AZ. https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ence/96516674/

Indeed, it ought to be local government who possess the expertise, the manpower and be paid for the task of humanely and economically “balancing” the hazardous prey/predator wildlife populations within in developed areas.

I’ve been in the municipal planning field on Long Island for over 25 years-and have been a ZPG activist since my early 20s. Nothing cuts deeper in the heart like the results of madness of egoism and greed driving consumption based economics. Board of Directors | GrowthBusters https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-g..._organizations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_as_a_problem
https://www.janefonda.com/2011/05/too-many-people/
https://www.capsweb.org/blog/actor-m...lated%E2%80%99

https://www.motherearthnews.com/natu...eme-zm0z11zsto

Sadly, our elected representatives with whom we entrust with our welfare, corporations whose products and services we purchase and many so-called “progressive” orgs https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/wh...ulation-growth -are why individuals and communities are left ignorant and unenlightened about how they must deeply and quickly rethink their long held behaviors in a rapidly climate changing world.

So much that threatens NM’s human, wildlife and landscapes is about water-too much during the monsoon season and flash flooding or too little. And the inconvenient truth is that human-induced climate change will bring more polar ice melts, thus more rainfall and intense flooding events in the flooding events ahead.
https://www.mrcog-nm.gov/DocumentCen...014-PDF?bidId=

Ironically insufficient ways to capture and process this water for re-use among the drought stricken western states is the other side of this increasingly dangerous double trouble.

Am I wrong or do you find snakes and javelinas in your backyard mostly there looking for water perhaps more so than prey?

But how do you keep the evils of over development-and the usual cast of opportunistic two-faced politicians and land barons-out of the equation to solve or at least manage for the long term what may be NM’s most serious challenge: Flood water control, capture and purification?

While I’m no civil engineer, NM communities should have sooner acted on the realization by now that once public and private entities and property owners bite the bullet to install these advanced flood management systems, not only will they prevent property damage, injury and death every year but the contained and purified water can then be utilized to avert drought conditions, enabling fire departments to better combat wildfires, provide water for residential and commercial consumption and irrigation. This will create more jobs (thus reduce crime) in green industry jobs like agriculture and green energy technologies, provide more economic stability and thereby better quality goods and services, which attracts more (“green screened) investment. Last but not least, some percentage of recurring flood waters might be channeled via the arroyos to outlying wildlife environs among a small series of manmade cement mini creeks (?), where various animals, including snakes, can catch a drink.

Thus, if residents and municipal officials in the towns like Framington, Alamogordo, Lordsburg, Silver City, Deming and places northeast of Santa Fe can convince each other to shoulder half the cost; they can and should seek matching funds from the state and from corporations in NM’s energy, electronics, insurance, and other economic sectors. Likewise, the governor must do her part to win matching funds from the federal government.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvRyQ0M5Zv4

However, the key aim here is to design, build and maintain this flood water/reclamation system independent of as much political and corporate funding as possible, lest there be too many strings attached. That’s why it’s got to be a grassroots initiated movement among homeowners and local businesses. “Bedroom communities” of much larger municipalities like Albuquerque and Santa Fe, having that Trump like super growth mentality, may have easier routes to such funding. For example, Rio Rancho passed a $10 million bond issue last year (however far those funds go in that ever sprawling place) and likely expect some reciprocation after welcoming Trump with a campaign rally early this year. And during a lengthily documentary on public water access, produced by the city of Las Cruces which I recently saw on Youtube, a hydro engineer said that as long as there’s an agricultural sector in Cruces there will be no water shortages. This at least implied that Big Aggie helped to finance the city’s recently installed desalination facility. And it also likely funded the additional processing power for when Cruces will need to convert sewer water to potable water, as they too seek to encourage more population growth, regardless of the usual consequences that have long plagued much of east and west coast (soaring property taxes, home prices and tuition, deforestation, et al).

But smaller NM communities-Lordsberg, Silver City, Deming and several others throughout southwest NM for example-can escape that fate and still solve the flood/drought paradox if they can genuinely commit to partnering to finance the project and maintain its operation..

I know this all sounds like silly theorizing, I’ve never spearheaded projects like this in my field, but it’s this kind of visioning that can help formulate practical strategies to solve fundamental problems which might reduce the impact of several smaller ones among numerous NM smaller towns-and do so without sacrificing what’s left of the Land of Enchantment to the insanities of endless population growth and over development.

I wish I could do more to facilitate this process 3000 miles away and unable to even consider buying a home or buildable land anywhere in NM for at least 3 more years. Meanwhile, please discuss the financing and logistics of what may need to become a regional (multi-county) southwest NM project with your next door neighbors, at the next public library event or town board meeting-well before the next local elections-albeit online and/or several feet from each other until the COVID 19 vaccine is here.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I do most of my shopping at Sprouts. I haven't had much luck with bananas, avocados, or multiple types of greens there. Sprouts reminds me of Trader Joe's. Not a fan of the limited selection. I know many like Trader Joe's. If you do, you will probably like Sprouts.

Given the size, Mountain View is more like a corner grocery store.

My limited experience with Toucans was that it was "extremely" pricey. If I remember correctly, I purchased Green Mountain Gringos salsa and it was more than double the typical price.

The Albertsons here are dirty, dark and the staff unfriendly. In my experience, they are well down the list of these type of supermarkets.
We have a large northeast co-op chain called Shoprite. Mostly great stuff, huge variety and great prices. But they usually get romaine from some place in Salinas, CA. Full of tiny live bugs spilling out onto my kitchen counter. There’s another very small chain in NYC and here on Long Island called Fairway. Superb produce and just slightly more money.

How’s are the red (sweet) peppers, cumbers, red onion, carrots and romaine lettuce there? Those are a must for my big weekly salads. Is the romaine at all buggy? But Shoprite cantaloupes are invariably dried out inside for the last two years. And hardly any melons from CA anymore. Honduras and Guatemala; human rights violators. Cantaloupe meat nearly always rock hard and dried out.

Gorton’s frozen fish sticks and flounder? Koch’s frozen grilled chicken strips? Frozen broccoli, peas and carrots?

Old 05-11-2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
You do not want to live in Deming. Silver City will have some winter.
I was just chatting with a woman on youtube who’s lived in Silver for 12 years. She mentioned a "meth” problem as one reason besides COVID 19 for her not frequenting the local Walmart anymore than necessary. And there was a local TV news report posted on youtube implicating one or more local mining companies for drinking water contamination.

Snow’s no big deal for NYers. Presumably, crime in Silver is no where as bad as they say it is in Deming?

But at least via realtor.com I couldn’t find anything homes in Silver of interest in my price range.
Perhaps if I can find the right 1/2 acre to build on…….. ?? More on that later.

Anything pro or con to say about Lordsburg?

Any problems with wifi reception among any of these places?

Reputable Honda and HVAC repair services?

Any complaints about health care from local hospitals and/or medical and dental groups?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces