Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 07:42 AM

232 posts, read 302,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Hey, Tommy, hi right back to you! Still digging Pueblo? We're getting a new A/C and nat.gas furnace because ours finally bit the dust. Not bad for 22 years old, though, our furnace. It is the original RUUD air conditioner, so we really can't get too upset about it. We have a portable stuck in our bedroom window, so that's helping. The appointment to install the new one isn't until Monday morning the 10th of June. Whew - imagine that, it blew right as the temperatures were rising!

Yeah, agreed, put out that cigarette and stop smoking immediately! Terrible for you! Take care and chat with you later, Colorado.
Hi elko!
Always good to see you on this thread because it's always the 'straight dope' from a 'die-hard' New Mexican as yourself. Well all I can say about your ac/furnace issues is "as is" the main issue with home ownership. I owned 2 and that's it! I'd rather rent and travel...in fact I'm keeping LC in mind for the "Whole Enchilada Fiesta" Cruces' big show in October I think? Should be some good food!

Pueblo? So far it works for me: "Old Mexico" if you know the history? I have to renew my lease in Nov but my apts are well managed (by a place in AZ) and we have a good staff and it's mixed company with children: not that over 50 crowd ONLY. I had "carpal-tunnel" surgery (endoscopic) last Oct. My fingers are stiff in the am but at least I can make a fist. B/4 I couldn't. A board-certified plastic surgeon here did it. His only competition here are orthopods (bone surgeons) and you don't want them: they'll split your palm open with months of healing! I will have some arthritis...something there is no cure for: age elko...haha. So keep exercising your hands elko...it can creep up on you.

Later my friend. Stay cool this Summer down in 'gordo.

Last edited by tommyp1; 06-05-2019 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: word change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcoop View Post
We currently live in Missouri and are nearing retirement. We are middle income and would have around 230,000 for a home/condo/townhouse. I have been doing research on Las Cruces the last few years and following the board closely. I have not seen too many posts by people who have actually relocated to Las Cruces for retirement. I'm interested in hearing from those who made the move and what the experience has been like. A few questions:
1. How has the experience been since your move? Did it live up to your expectations?
2. Pros and cons of Las Cruces as a retirement location.
3. If you had to do it over again, would your decision be different?
We are not golfers. Like to bike ride and hike. What areas of Las Cruces would you recommend? Thanks.

I live in nearby Alamogordo, but frequently visit Las Cruces. Absolutely love this area! I lived in the Chicago area for 55 years before retiring. I have severe arthritis from working outdoors year round in Chicago, so the weather here is just what the doctor ordered. Cost of living is much less expensive than IL and housing is a bargain as well. You won't be sorry if you move here. I've been here almost 5 years now and would definitely recommend.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:10 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Yes, as I tell tommy or anyone else we love it here in Alamogordo. Low cost housing and hot and sunny much of the time. We're getting a new A/C and nat.gas furnace on Monday so that's a pretty important event!

My wife and I like heading west to Las Cruces for more of a variety of shopping and restaurants. It's a bit busier, three times the population of Alamogordo, but the streets are easy to navigate and traffic is livable, too.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Yes, as I tell tommy or anyone else we love it here in Alamogordo. Low cost housing and hot and sunny much of the time. We're getting a new A/C and nat.gas furnace on Monday so that's a pretty important event!

My wife and I like heading west to Las Cruces for more of a variety of shopping and restaurants. It's a bit busier, three times the population of Alamogordo, but the streets are easy to navigate and traffic is livable, too.
Alamogordo vs Las Cruces: 68.2mi?

The KEY to both (as alluded to by elko) is size, shopping etc which translates to serviceability. If UR a senior that means alot! Sure you can get a shuttle etc. in 'gordo but WHY do that when you can live in LC and walk, cycle, or hop on a bus? AND lets not forget El Paso is 40 (46.1mi) minutes away with a major airport (Southwest Airlines).

BTW on the weather channel yesterday they listed 10 cities that would go dry from water in our future (who knows when?). One of the 10 was El Paso. I guess NM will have to sell Texas more water which they already do? Have a great weekend.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:14 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp1 View Post
Hi elko!
Always good to see you on this thread because it's always the 'straight dope' from a 'die-hard' New Mexican as yourself. Well all I can say about your ac/furnace issues is "as is" the main issue with home ownership. I owned 2 and that's it! I'd rather rent and travel...in fact I'm keeping LC in mind for the "Whole Enchilada Fiesta" Cruces' big show in October I think? Should be some good food!

Pueblo? So far it works for me: "Old Mexico" if you know the history? I have to renew my lease in Nov but my apts are well managed (by a place in AZ) and we have a good staff and it's mixed company with children: not that over 50 crowd ONLY. I had "carpal-tunnel" surgery (endoscopic) last Oct. My fingers are stiff in the am but at least I can make a fist. B/4 I couldn't. A board-certified plastic surgeon here did it. His only competition here are orthopods (bone surgeons) and you don't want them: they'll split your palm open with months of healing! I will have some arthritis...something there is no cure for: age elko...haha. So keep exercising your hands elko...it can creep up on you.

Later my friend. Stay cool this Summer down in 'gordo.
Just wanted to point out, sadly, that the Whole Enchilada Fiesta is no more. There's some new thing but no more big enchies.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Just wanted to point out, sadly, that the Whole Enchilada Fiesta is no more. There's some new thing but no more big enchies.
Thanks for that. Maybe the "Southern NM State Fair" replaced it? I'll keep my eyes open.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:29 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp1 View Post
Thanks for that. Maybe the "Southern NM State Fair" replaced it? I'll keep my eyes open.
We've always had the fair too. It's La Gran Fiesta. Sept 20-22. On the new plaza downtown.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
We've always had the fair too. It's La Gran Fiesta. Sept 20-22. On the new plaza downtown.
Good to know. Thank you TKO. Sorry to see the "WEF" go. I worked at MGH when they had it and could smell that 'big enchi' all over town. Unfortunately I didn't go.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,078 times
Default coming Soon from northern VA!

Looking at greyfox in dona ana - putting an offer on a home next couple of days.
Was homeless in el paso and roomed with a couple @Telshor in my younger years.
Went back to the NE to do the money thing.
Just can't do the winter in VA one more gin.
Now I'm an old fart and ready to come back, kick back and chill.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:06 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
As to living experience. Mother loved it enough to live there twice. I would not live there once. If you do not live near transportation, or own a car you drive, it is a problem to get groceries or see a doctor. The traffic is horrendous; it reminds me of St. Louis. I much prefer Palm Springs for desert living and San Diego County for ocean living.

Surely you are not talking about Las Cruces here. The drivers are horrendous, but there is no real traffic to speak of. I've never taken LC's public transportation so I don't know how well that works.
Yeah, and it is rarely over 80 at night/4 am. Usually in the 70's in summer at night. Hardly any traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces