Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 01:58 AM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
For us it's suitablility for retirement. A good library within a decent distance. Good meaning large enough to have more sections than fiction, non-fiction, and childrens (Crossville). Restaurants, access to plays, symphonies, arts, etc without having to drive an hour. Good shopping, intelligent liquor laws (can I actually buy the makings for a margarita closer than 30 miles away?), friendly people, good medical, low crime rate, etc.

In other words, all the usual stuff.

Thanks.
Do you only want to live in a planned retirement community? I don't know anything about those but from my reading, you may want to check out Farragut in Knox County. It's 17 miles from downtown Knoxville, 10.9 miles from Oak Ridge. It's one of the more well-to-do Knoxville burbs (median household income is $82,726 in 2000 - last census). They are part of the Knox County library system.

You know some of the continuing learning schools for retirees also offer day and overnight trips that might interest you, too, and I only mention this because you wouldn't have to do any distance driving yourself to get to them. So, wherever you wind up, you might want to check out Continued Learning Schools to see if "trips" is also part of their offerings. For example, this current semester, the Oak Ridge Institute for Continued Learning (affilliated with the state college) is going to the Frist Center in Nashville for the Treasures of Ancient Egypt exhibit, and they have a two-day class that includes a trip to the Clarence Brown Theatre at the University of TN (Knoxville). The first class includes lectures on direction, lighting and scenic design, a tour of the costume shop, prop shop and scene shop and a luncheon at a restaurant and the second class is a play, dinner buffet and an after-play talk back with the actors. The bus is provided even though Knoxville is only 24 miles away. This semester they are also going to the Biltmore Estate in North Carolina and the IJAMS Nature Center in Marble Springs among other places. I think they went to NY last semester or the semester before that.

Oak Ridge has a symphony and a community playhouse but Knoxville, of course, has everything on a grander scale, including the restaurants and stores you desire but you wouldn't have to live in Knoxville to be near them if you lived in Farragut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 10:34 AM

56 posts, read 263,739 times
Brian:
What is it that the Loudon County government wants to do? Am also thinking of moving to Tellico.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:40 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Default Negativitity

runs rampant!

If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything...

As for good 'ol Estrada, if he's willing to pay my plane ticket and lodging I don't care where he lives.

If you don't mean to be rude, then why are you? Don't make excuses for your opinion. It isn't required. Shopping isn't why I'm moving. Think about it...

LauraC - Thank you for your response. That is the kind of information we are looking for. Driving isn't a concern in general - we took a two week driving trip this summer, but we don't want to drive too far to the grocery store or other conveniences. By the time we retire and gas is $7.00 a gallon that will make groceries and lumber very expensive.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:43 PM

21 posts, read 199,080 times
Quote:
runs rampant!

If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything...

As for good 'ol Estrada, if he's willing to pay my plane ticket and lodging I don't care where he lives.

If you don't mean to be rude, then why are you? Don't make excuses for your opinion. It isn't required. Shopping isn't why I'm moving. Think about it...

LauraC - Thank you for your response. That is the kind of information we are looking for. Driving isn't a concern in general - we took a two week driving trip this summer, but we don't want to drive too far to the grocery store or other conveniences. By the time we retire and gas is $7.00 a gallon that will make groceries and lumber very expensive.
Nice response to people trying to give you honest answers.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:46 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Default You're right

I should never answer in a forum after one of "those days".

Brian, thank you. I keyed on Estrada and did not respond to the remainder of your post. I appreciate the excellent information. Looks like I'd have to change my shopping habits. No more dropping and shopping at the last minute!

LauraC, I reiterate: This is the type of information that is invaluable, like Brian's. Thank you.

Cubsfan. Since You are allowed an "honest answer" and I'm not I guess I can't respond.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 11,180 times
Default Tellico Village

I relocated from Florida last summer, however we bought our house 2 years prior to moving on a permanent basis.
My husband and I absolutely love it here. It is about 30 miles from the Village to downtown Knoxville. We are also 10 minutes to the nearest Home Depot from the Village as well.
With everything that we have experienced here, we would find it difficult to leave.
More and more people are moving to this area from Florida, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois. Our real estate market is prospering at a steady pace, nothing crazy like what went on in Florida. I have some information that I would be happy to send to you if you are interested or look us up when you get into town.
Good Luck with your decision!
Quote:
Looks like our biggest concern would be distance. Yard work is not a problem, and I can fix or build pretty much anything, including a house.

As an example, we took a bus tour to Chicago last week to see the Tut exhibit, take an architectural tour of downtown from the river, and see Wicked. We were scheduled to leave early Monday and discovered about 5:00p Sunday that we had water in the basement. Had terrific amounts of rain all day and the sump pump decided to die. We had the new one in and running in less than an hour, including two trips to Menards/Lowes. This is the distance problem. We live within 5 minutes of a Lowes, Menards, and Home Depot in addition to every conceivable kind of store and restaurant you could ever want. That change is going to be the culture shock for us.

I did notice that the distance from Tellico to the west end of Knoxville where that big new mall is being (finished) built is not too bad. For the number of times we go to the theater, etc. it would end up being a "special" trip.

We are planning on taking up Eric Estrada (sp?) on his offer next spring and let them fly us down to Tellico and take the tour. Instead of flying back at the end we're going to rent a car and go up to Norris Lake, then use some of our airline miles to fly home. This will also give us some time to look at Knoxville more closely.

Again, thanks. If you think of any other areas close to Knoxville we'd appreciate knowing about them, too.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:04 PM

115 posts, read 596,179 times
How about grocery stores and drug stores near Tellico Village? Any restaurants nearby other than those affiliated with the Village? I understand a Super Wal-Mart is located within 10 miles.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:37 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatrinaFoster View Post
I relocated from Florida last summer, however we bought our house 2 years prior to moving on a permanent basis.
My husband and I absolutely love it here. It is about 30 miles from the Village to downtown Knoxville. We are also 10 minutes to the nearest Home Depot from the Village as well.
With everything that we have experienced here, we would find it difficult to leave.
More and more people are moving to this area from Florida, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois. Our real estate market is prospering at a steady pace, nothing crazy like what went on in Florida. I have some information that I would be happy to send to you if you are interested or look us up when you get into town.
Good Luck with your decision!
Catrina,
I am so glad to hear from someone with personal experience about Tellico Village. My husband and I are looking into relocating in 2 years and we think Telico might just be what we're looking for. We are planning a visit this summer to check it out. We're from California and have lived here almost all our lives. Can you tell me a little about our experience with the folks from the Loudon/Lenoir city area? Did you find a big culture shock to move to this area? We have lived in what would be considered a large city most of our lives, but we now live in a smaller town of about 18,000 in the foothills. We love living in the country like we do, but we commute into the city every day. In two years we will be retired, at 50 and 55. So we are still very active and not looking to be in a "seniors only" community. We have spent quite a lot of time with my in-laws who live in that type of village and found it a little too stuffy and old fashioned. Are there any stores in Tellico village itself or just near the gates? How far to the nearest restaurants other than fast food and pizza? Do you have a boat and do you and your husband golf? You can PM me if you like I have tons of questions as you can see...

Last edited by TheShadow; 04-04-2007 at 02:00 PM..

Old 04-04-2007, 01:22 PM

98 posts, read 388,642 times
Loudon the town itself isnt the best place to re-locate if your not from there.

if your looking for work Sugar Limb Industrial park is all it has

Try Sweetwater or Athens much more friendlier and closer to Chatt

Old 04-04-2007, 02:04 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
We won't be looking for work. We're looking for the recreational opportunities that a place like Tellico has to offer, boating, golfing, community events, etc. We're quite used to driving at least 10 minutes to the nearest store and 20 minutes to a decent hardware or department store. We actually have to get on the interstate to go just about anywhere except a neighbor's house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville