Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:37 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times

Advertisements

And now ImagePoint shuts down today. 450 jobs total with 270 being here locally.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:43 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,963 times
lil ray o sunshine in all the mess

WBIR.com | Knoxville, TN | Company avoids layoffs, gives back to community (http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=74124&provider=rss - broken link)

Old 01-10-2009, 05:06 AM

396 posts, read 1,311,432 times
That is excellent! What an outstanding example of how businesses can give back to the communities that support them.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:11 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
Dollywood (& Splash Country) is going to be open less days this season. Their salaried employees are not getting raises this year and their executive team is taking a voluntary 5% paycut. Now that is what I call a positive move. Three cheers for Dollywood. More executives could learn a lesson from them!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:28 AM

557 posts, read 1,676,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I absolutley HATE it but my wife and I are moving to Houston, TX because we have jobs lined up. It's really no secret that they have jobs availible but I've been out of work since October and I just can't do it anymore.

I'll really miss Tennessee.
I feel for you. Really. I had to leave my dream farm in TN a few years ago because of a job situation, and not a day goes by that I don't get at least a little misty-eyed over it. I adjusted eventually but things will never be the same.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:55 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,329,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailli View Post
Looks like things will be affecting me too, I thought since my DH is retired Military we wouldnt feel the effects except for higher prices in the stores but no where else, well I was Dead wrong, seems Obama wants to make military people(retired or previous service entitled to Tricare)to have to pay the first $525 of Medical plus half of the next 4900 which means we will be paying almost $3000 a yr out of pocket, well, I in no way could afford that. My husband spent 22 years in the Navy, been to war and spent his time knowing the great benefits he would get in the long run, but NOPE, Obama wants Tricare(military ins)to go back to paying what it paid in 1995 when it started.

I am bombarding my Senators and Repre. with emails to not allow this to happen.

Obama also wants VA medical to only treat those that have service related injuries or illnesses and the poor so that means my DH wouldnt get to use the VA Hospitals or Clinics either and wont get his free glasses every year.
]
That is horrible! I am so sorry, I hope that will not be passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Dollywood (& Splash Country) is going to be open less days this season. Their salaried employees are not getting raises this year and their executive team is taking a voluntary 5% paycut. Now that is what I call a positive move. Three cheers for Dollywood. More executives could learn a lesson from them!
Leave it to Dolly to make the smart move.
Just more proof that if more women were in charge, things would be a lot better.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:27 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,379,279 times
Default Actually, you're lucky!

Quote:
Looks like things will be affecting me too, I thought since my DH is retired Military we wouldnt feel the effects except for higher prices in the stores but no where else, well I was Dead wrong, seems Obama wants to make military people(retired or previous service entitled to Tricare)to have to pay the first $525 of Medical plus half of the next 4900 which means we will be paying almost $3000 a yr out of pocket, well, I in no way could afford that. My husband spent 22 years in the Navy, been to war and spent his time knowing the great benefits he would get in the long run, but NOPE, Obama wants Tricare(military ins)to go back to paying what it paid in 1995 when it started.

I am bombarding my Senators and Repre. with emails to not allow this to happen.

Obama also wants VA medical to only treat those that have service related injuries or illnesses and the poor so that means my DH wouldnt get to use the VA Hospitals or Clinics either and wont get his free glasses every year.]
On Medicare, my dh and I will be paying $7,200 per year, PLUS the cost of our co-pay on drugs and our own dental care in full. Oh, and we pay for our own glasses! You've had it real good for a long time!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:02 PM

780 posts, read 1,766,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
On Medicare, my dh and I will be paying $7,200 per year, PLUS the cost of our co-pay on drugs and our own dental care in full. Oh, and we pay for our own glasses! You've had it real good for a long time!!!

Well we may have had it real good for a long time but then again my husband risked his life for his country for those benefits just like other people work their whole lives to earn theres so its not right to take away something someone has earned, especially by serving their country, I am on Medicare so I understand your plight but like I said, these were benefits promised to retiree's and its not right for Obama or anyone else to deprive our Veterans of these benefits

Old 01-10-2009, 11:46 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,781,619 times
Quote:
Well we may have had it real good for a long time but then again my husband risked his life for his country for those benefits just like other people work their whole lives to earn theres so its not right to take away something someone has earned, especially by serving their country, I am on Medicare so I understand your plight but like I said, these were benefits promised to retiree's and its not right for Obama or anyone else to deprive our Veterans of these benefits
Is this direct information from a reputable source or hearsay? What is your source?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:52 AM

780 posts, read 1,766,494 times
Yes I would say its reliable since it came from the Military, check it out yourself on Military.com

My hubby is also retired 15 yrs from the Veterans of Foreign Wars not counting 22 yrs with the US Navy so we get all the up to date information in a military newsletter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville