Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:47 PM

5 posts, read 31,096 times

Advertisements

I have read many posts on here and I am just wondering just how conservative are most people who live there? We are considering moving to TN, and looking mostly in the knoxville or Johnson City areas. Now, we are currently living in Indiana, a mid-size city, and I think it is very conservative here for the most part, but I don't feel overwhelmed by it, but dont want to live here forever either. However, we have lived in other places, (Arizona, Colorado) and visited many more, and really like a place where you can be who you want and thats okay.
We are looking for a place that if you are at a farmers market and you ask if their produce is organic, they don't get all offended. Or if you believe in God, and pray on your own, and don't want to be apart of organized religion, people don't think your not religious enough. We are also in a biracial marriage (i am white, husband is black), and we have 2 boys. How do people think of that there? I assume that it is a large enough city so it is probably commen enough. I am also starting homeschooling with my 2 boys this year, so we would be a homeschooling family, and I have noticed most of the homeschooling groups seem to always be religion affiliated, as they are here too, not that I am against a religious group, but I don't want to feel like my kids and I are on the outside of the "circle".
We think TN is just beautiful and it is at the top of the list of possible choices. We have alot of interest in owning land. Growing organic gardens, I currently have a small one. I hang out laundry and we try to watch our comsumption of water and power. I am into simplicity, as we are working towards downsizing our lives, and rarely find anyone that has any interest as mine.

So I guess my question is, Is TN really as conservative as I have read about, or would my family and I find it a great place to live? Any response at all would be great appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:33 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourmovers View Post
I have read many posts on here and I am just wondering just how conservative are most people who live there? We are considering moving to TN, and looking mostly in the knoxville or Johnson City areas. Now, we are currently living in Indiana, a mid-size city, and I think it is very conservative here for the most part, but I don't feel overwhelmed by it, but dont want to live here forever either. However, we have lived in other places, (Arizona, Colorado) and visited many more, and really like a place where you can be who you want and thats okay.
We are looking for a place that if you are at a farmers market and you ask if their produce is organic, they don't get all offended. Or if you believe in God, and pray on your own, and don't want to be apart of organized religion, people don't think your not religious enough. We are also in a biracial marriage (i am white, husband is black), and we have 2 boys. How do people think of that there? I assume that it is a large enough city so it is probably commen enough. I am also starting homeschooling with my 2 boys this year, so we would be a homeschooling family, and I have noticed most of the homeschooling groups seem to always be religion affiliated, as they are here too, not that I am against a religious group, but I don't want to feel like my kids and I are on the outside of the "circle".
We think TN is just beautiful and it is at the top of the list of possible choices. We have alot of interest in owning land. Growing organic gardens, I currently have a small one. I hang out laundry and we try to watch our comsumption of water and power. I am into simplicity, as we are working towards downsizing our lives, and rarely find anyone that has any interest as mine.

So I guess my question is, Is TN really as conservative as I have read about, or would my family and I find it a great place to live? Any response at all would be great appreciated.
Over all, East Tennessee is very Republican. The city of Knoxville, however, isn't nearly as conservative thanks in large part to being home to a large university and its liberal faculty.

There are biracial couples all over the place here, even in the "redneck" mall (Knoxville Center) there are biracial couples holding hands in public without fear. In my very conservative church there are several biracial couples, and no one treats them any differently. Unlike, say, Memphis where everything boils down to race, I honestly don't think most people in Knoxville even think about it.

East Tennesseans generally have a live-and-let-live attitude. Your neighbors might very well invite you to church, but it's not meant to be an assault on your personal beliefs, it's just a way of being friendly. If you politely thank them but say you're not interested, they'll probably respect it and won't ask you again. But don't be surprised if people bring up their churches in everyday conversation. Again, it's not meant to be an affront to your sensitivities, but rather a way of sharing fun experiences with neighbors.

Then again, if you live near campus it's very possible you'll have neighbors who never step foot in a church. But like everyone else, they also try to have a live-and-let live attitude.

Because people in Knoxville are fiercely proud of the Great Smoky Mountains and the mountain heritage around here, you'll find ultra conservatives and ultra liberals joining hands to protect and save our beautiful lakes and mountains. I think that's pretty cool.

I think it's a refreshing attitude that people have around here. And you might enjoy it! Come on down and see what we're all about. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:58 PM

188 posts, read 567,121 times
My realtor was one half of a gay white couple with adopted black children. My closest friend co-worker is black and her husband is white.

I would say that there is plenty of "diversity" here. PLENTY.

Knoxville consists of extreme left hippie throwbacks as well as southern throwbacks!

In addition, even the most annoyingly conservative southerners around here have been so exposed to the alternative life choices of others that they no longer freak out.

Around here, you would have trouble raising eyebrows.

Kelton

Old 07-16-2008, 09:19 PM

Thanks JMT for the information. That sounds like a place I would like. I am all about a live and let live way of life.
I am not at all insulted when people invite me to their church, or discuss personal beliefs, or religion, as we are all here to learn, so that is no problem when everyone is respectful. It's great about people coming together to protect the mountains and lakes...it does sound like a refreshing attitude.

bfskinnerpunk--sounds good on the diversity issue. We have visited several states and driven thru quite a few more, and have been on both sides of the issue, and we would rather be on the side with Plenty of diversity. Thanks for your post.

Last edited by fourmovers; 07-16-2008 at 09:31 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 05:27 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
I wish I could agree with JMT that people don't think about race, I'm afraid that's not so. But even if someone doesn't approve of your family composition, they will be too polite to say anything to your face. They have had 30+ years to get used to mixed race couples but it takes a while and maybe a mixed race grandkid for some folks to come around. I do agree that live and let live is the overwhelming attitude.

We're not a city that revels in its diversity - it's there but people don't make a big deal about it or wear it as a badge of honor.

You'll find plenty of people into organic gardens and the simple life. Though for many families simple living and doing more with less isn't a new trend it's a tradition or necessity.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:53 AM

188 posts, read 567,121 times
Among home schoolers, you are probably right about the higher percent of religion-steeped people.

That is probably the case almost everywhere, but you are probably just fine with your pray at home lifestyle. For all I know, you would be fine even without religion.

I bring it up a lot in this forum, but I am an atheist, and I have plenty of like minded friends around here. A recent poll indicated that atheists are the single most distrusted group category of people in America, but apparently Knoxville can deal with it.

Of course, the average person can't "see" that I'm an atheist! Nevertheless, I see plenty of anti-religion bumperstickers... even more than I saw when I lived in downtown Orlando.

Kelton

Old 07-17-2008, 08:15 AM

420 posts, read 1,534,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
We're not a city that revels in its diversity - ...or wear it as a badge of honor.
This sums it up. It is quite a change for us, having recently moved from central NC. Not that NC was a constant celebration of diversity (hardly!), but people's manners were a bit more improved (probably through practice). And, I'll note that my Obama bumper sticker is the only one I've seen around here :-0

I laughed at the comment about "how do you grow your food", too. I've asked those questions of farmers and seen those reactions (huh? you can't grow that here without chemicals, etc.). While there are many beautiful home gardens out in the country (probably out of a combination of culture and need), I think with interest from urban folk who want to support sustainable growing, things will shift in time. It's not there now, though. But--We used to grow and sell in NC (organic methods) and are probably just one of many plotting to do the same here (thanks to more affordable land). Markets are fairly new and lacking in significant numbers of farmers selling their own produce at this point, but I hope that will change. This is not as wealthy an area as some out east or west which have highly developed networks of organic growers, so that will have an impact on the kinds of farm products folks produce, too.

That said, it sounds like you'd be a great neighbor. Want to move to rural Roane County? :-)

p.s. compared to many parts of Indiana, I think TN and the southeast in general are actually more open minded and hearted (I am not talking Bloomington here, but of things "in the middle").

Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfskinnerpunk View Post
I bring it up a lot in this forum, but I am an atheist, and I have plenty of like minded friends around here. A recent poll indicated that atheists are the single most distrusted group category of people in America, but apparently Knoxville can deal with it.
I find it so interesting that there is an East Tennessee Rationalists group (for atheists) based in Oak Ridge. My interpretation of this was that atheists needed their own support group in eastern TN, because it's not easy living here!! It also suggests that meeting folks with similar views is not always so easy. (I can't tell from your comments above if this is a faulty conclusion :-)

Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 AM

Thanks piedmont....You sound you would be a great neighbor as well. I do generally think that most parts of the country are typically more opened minded and open to change than in Indiana or the midwest for that matter. As from personal experience, people seem to want to keep things they way they have always been and don't rock the boat or try something new.
As far as the diversity, it isn't perfect here by any means, but for the most part we have had few issues.

If you don't mind my asking piedmont, why did you move from NC to TN? I ask because I thought about possbly checking into NC, but I haven't looked into anything there.
Thanks alot.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 AM

We were lured away from NC by a great job for my DH. We really enjoyed our lives in NC, although it had gotten a lot busier and more sprawling since we first lived there. Depending on your work fields, various parts of NC might be a better fit than TN. I also think NC is a bit more progressive, overall (especially in urban/suburban areas). I also really loved the piedmont landscape and the sandhills region of the state. It's not "flashy" beauty, but it spoke to me. The landscape is much more obviously gorgeous here in eastern TN---ridges, mountains, lakes, rivers in most directions you look.

So far, in culture and general development, TN is reminding me of NC 15-20 years ago. Unfortunately, it looks like there is even less planning here than in Carolina (although that was/is also a big problem there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville