Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 08:51 PM

156 posts, read 182,169 times

Advertisements

Hi

Was driving through this day (moving to NC) and I got pulled over by an unmarked police car. Got a speeding ticket. Was wondering if there was a way to remove the ticket with a defensive driving course? If so, how do I go about getting this started?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 04:13 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,824,556 times
The class removes points from your license, not the ticket, but let someone else confirm that... I took the class so I would not have points

Old 10-01-2016, 01:02 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
The class removes points from your license, not the ticket, but let someone else confirm that... I took the class so I would not have points
The ticketing procedure(s) likely vary in different jurisdictions. I know in Sevierville (unfortunately from experience), the procedure "WAS" that there was a $50 fine for speeding, but for those with a clean driving record, no citations, the ticket was (apparently) held in abeyance and not reported to the state for six months. Then, if another ticket was not received within that six months, the ticket was expunged from their (Sevierville) records. Not sure if that six months period only applied to getting another ticket in Sevier, or whether the ticket was compared to a state license ticketing database at the end of the six months period. There was no option of a "driving school/class," in my case.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:19 PM

1,180 posts, read 778,609 times
Is Tennessee pretty good about handing out tickets for out-of-state cars?

Old 10-01-2016, 04:19 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcapulco View Post
By good, do you mean more frequently ticketing out-of-state drivers? If so, I would say no, but it would depend on the violation. You will pay regardless of domicile if you are caught speeding, imo.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:40 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcapulco View Post
I was going to answer with "How would we know," but then I remembered that my ex got stopped 11 years ago, when we first moved here. He had Florida tags still on the vehicle. He had to go to court and since he had since put on Tennessee tags, the judge dismissed it. There was some other goofball charge such as failure to yield. It was a back road with no one around and it was an excuse to stop him. I believe he didn't fight it (I would have). That was in the far reaches of Knox County and I believe it was a THP officer (state cop).

Old 10-06-2016, 07:11 AM

24 posts, read 45,735 times
Imbebo, I don't know if your ticket is a Knoxville city ticket, but if so this is what I had to do

I was ticketed for 5 over inside the city limits earlier this year with a mandatory court appearance (why a mandatoryappearance for 5 over I don't know)...but I went to court at my assigned time and was called in front of the judge to "plead my case"...gave him the usual...he checked my record on his computer and put me on one month double secret traffic probation...told me if I did not get another ticket in a month then it would not be on my record...of course I had to make the $101.50 donation to "the fund" on the way out

there were a bunch of us there for 5 mph over, so it's obviously a good moneymaker for the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville