Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 06:54 PM

38 posts, read 70,783 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Within the next 10 to 12 months my family and I are moving from Northern California to Tennessee (and I can't wait). We like the Nashville area (Hendersonville, Mt Juliet) but also really like the Knoxville area. Some of the differences that we've notice: Nashville is flatter, more traffic, faster pace of life, more expensive, more work opportunity. I think the Knoxville area is beautiful with the foothills.

Here are some of my questions: (thanks in advance for your thoughts everyone)
What are some of the differences between the people in the two areas (if any)?

What areas have the best schools? (I've read a lot about the Farragut School district, but is there any where else? Including Catholic / Private schools that are good?

My wife is a psychologist and wants to open a practice (She mainly works with Vets and first responders now). Would there be enough people to support her work?

I'm retiring and I'll make around $90,000 a year. In California, I would need to get a job if we wanted to stay here. Would my retirement allow us to live comfortably?

My wife and I are going to Knoxville at the end of the month to take another look at the area. What would you tell us to see? An area, a farmer's market, or anything that might give us a better feeling of the area.

Thanks again for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 10:37 AM

320 posts, read 541,401 times
Hello. I believe your own observations about the cities were pretty spot on. Nashville does seem to be more fast-paced and flatter while Knoxville is slower-paced with some foothills.

The major difference between the people of Nashville and Knoxville is that Nashville has semi-recently become a transplant city with people flocking to the city from all over the U.S. Population growth has not been as pronounced in Knoxville. Other than this, I feel that the "locals" in each town are largely the same, with the main difference being which football team they are likely to support (Vols or Vandy).

From what I've seen on these forums, the best schools in the Nashville area are found in Williamson County while the best schools in the Knoxville area would be Farragut, Oak Ridge, or Blount County. Private schools in Knoxville are largely religious-affiliated (Cristian Academy of Knoxville, Knox Catholic, etc.) I'm not sure about the Webb School.

As far as veterans, just to the north of nashville near Clarksville is Fort Campbell. There is a large veteran population there.

The COL in the Nashville area is definitely higher than in the Knoxville area. It has shot up recently due to the economic boom the city is experiencing. However, $90,000/ year should allow you to live very comfortably in almost any area of Tennessee.

If you're visiting the Knoxville area/ The Great Smoky Mountains in October, be prepared for traffic and jacked-up hotel rates. That being said, it's probably the best time of year to visit if you're interested in nature. The Smokies in the fall are beautiful. If you're into sports at all, you could catch a UT football game at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville or a Titans game in Nashville.

Downtown Knoxville is not as bustling as Downtown Nashville, but it's nothing to scoff at. There are plenty of things to do. Definitely check out Market Square (there's a farmers market there btw) and walk along Gay Street. There are always events going on at the University of Tennessee campus if that is something you're interested in.

Kingston Pike is the main artery supporting Knoxville. It runs parallel to I-40/75. If you follow it from Farragut into downtown, you'll be able to see the majority of the city.

Hope you enjoy your time in Knoxville!

Old 09-09-2016, 06:50 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,598,384 times
You will save money on hotels by avoiding game days. But you might want to experience a game. At your income it will all seem affordable.

Traffic won't be too bad in townsend if you want to experience the mountains.

Beware the cades cove loop can be very slow.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:08 AM

Thanks to both of you! I don't know if either of you have spent time in California, but the mentality here is not aligned with my way of thinking. My wife and I really want our daughter to grow up in an area where she doesn't come to believe that the California mentality (not knowing your neighbors, fast paced living, etc) is the norm. The more I read about the Knoxville area, the more I'm convinced it would be a great place to live.... Thanks again for your insight.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:59 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
The "CA mentality" you're describing is basically a big city, corporate lifestyle anywhere. If you're making $90k per year without working, your wife probably wouldn't even need to work in Knoxville if you're frugal.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:18 PM

Serious,
You're right about it being big city mentality... but I live in a town about the same size as Knoxville in Northern CA. It's different out here, even in the medium sized cities (for CA). Thanks for insight about my salary.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:29 PM

363 posts, read 482,664 times
Ummmmm... I have to interject. I have to say that same "big city mentality" is also alive and well here in certain parts of Knoxville. If you're looking for more of a slower pace, I suggest outside of West Knox, Bearden, Farragut. It's got that same suburban California thing going on. It reminds me of my old neighborhood except smaller streets with no sidewalks. I moved to this area just so I wouldn't get homesick but I am ready to move to other parts of town. The city I came from in Southern California is the same size as Knox and honestly, these West Knox suburbs aren't much different.

Schools are great here though. No complaints there. So you give and take...

Old 09-12-2016, 07:02 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
IMO a lot of the rat race mentality comes from affluence and pressure to keep up with the Joneses. west side of Knox is pretty affluent so you'll probably see more corporate types and people trying to keep up impressions than in more working class parts.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:41 PM

363 posts, read 482,664 times
Yeah, and that's why I think if he is trying to get away from that California fast pace thing, he should probably avoid West Knox.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
A couple of things.

First of all, Farragut schools are Knox County schools. Same curriculum, same system.

Second, not all of West Knoxville is the same. There are plenty of very cool areas of West Knox that aren't "Little boxes on a hillside, little boxes made of ticky-tacky." When people think of West Knox, they think of places like Whittington Creek or the mansions on the water, but there are many other alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville