Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 12:54 PM

42 posts, read 34,842 times

Advertisements

So a couple years ago I started getting the bug to move my family to Knoxville so I began researching it on here and have gotten some great information. Fast forward to a year later and the bug still exists and I keep getting random signs pointing me in this direction. While I'd still be a couple if not a few years away from moving I do want to begin looking a bit more seriously at the area. When I lived in Central America and people inquired about moving there I'd tell them to visit at the worst possible time of the rainy season and the hottest possible time of the dry season because if they liked it at those times they'd love it the rest of the time. (at least climate wise) I know everyone will have their own opinions but weather wise what are the worst times of year? For a little background my family currently lives in the desert so we know extreme heat and we used to live in tropical rain forest so we know humidity. Also what would the most beautiful time of year be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 06:37 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
July is probably the worst and the best is split between spring and fall. Spring for the Dogwoods, and fall for the colors.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Worst for heat and humidity will probably be the end of July or perhaps from middle of July to first week of August. It does seem that if it is going to be really hot, it's the last week of July, but not a guarantee. For what it is worth, it doesn't become Central American hot and humid here.

Also, for coldest, I would consider middle of January to first week of February. That can change quite a bit, of course, but that's a general idea. It's not north US cold, by any means, but it will give you a good idea.

My favorite time of year is spring. However, the apex of spring when there are a lot of things blooming can be anywhere from second week of March to middle of April or so. Once again, there can be a wide flux depending on what kind of year we are having. For instance, this year we had almost all of the flowering trees done by the end of the first week of April. It was very early. The third and fourth week of March might be a safe bet. Maybe.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:36 PM

42 posts, read 34,842 times
Thank you both for the replies. We are going to try and visit this summer and see if it's something we want to pursue. Then I'm afraid we're going to fall in love with the area and we'll need to get our a**es in gear and see if we're ready to take another leap of faith. I took a big one moving to Costa Rica in 1996 and a big one moving to Las Vegas 6 years ago and both worked out pretty good. I left a good job to return to the states and I'd be leaving a good job to move to TN but sometimes you just have to take a risk. I think I just find enjoyment in living in new places and luckily my wife and son are adventurous as well.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:00 AM

284 posts, read 362,276 times
We currently live in central Mississippi and looking to relocate around Knoxville as well. We've made 3 scouting trips over the last year and a half to see the area at various times. Our first was at the very end of October and the fall colors were beautiful and temps were mild until a cold front moved in and dropped about a foot of snow in the Smokies. No snow, just cold rain in Knoxville. The second trip was late July and while it was hot, it was not Mississippi hot and I was thrilled to find I could be outdoors without breaking into a massive sweat. That's huge for me in that I'm trying to escape oppressive humidity. The final trip was late March and Hiknapster is right, the dogwoods and flowering trees put on quite a show. The air felt so crisp and refreshing and think I'd have to say springtime wins the prize. We like water sports, so love that the boating season here runs from April to November and in the summer, seems like it doesn't get dark till about 9:30, so lots more time to play! I've been tracking the weather and its really very similar to where we live now, just a longer spring and fall to enjoy, slightly colder winters, but a much more tolerable summer. We plan to make our move next spring!

Old 05-21-2016, 01:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
We currently live in central Mississippi and looking to relocate around Knoxville as well. We've made 3 scouting trips over the last year and a half to see the area at various times. Our first was at the very end of October and the fall colors were beautiful and temps were mild until a cold front moved in and dropped about a foot of snow in the Smokies. No snow, just cold rain in Knoxville. The second trip was late July and while it was hot, it was not Mississippi hot and I was thrilled to find I could be outdoors without breaking into a massive sweat. That's huge for me in that I'm trying to escape oppressive humidity. The final trip was late March and Hiknapster is right, the dogwoods and flowering trees put on quite a show. The air felt so crisp and refreshing and think I'd have to say springtime wins the prize. We like water sports, so love that the boating season here runs from April to November and in the summer, seems like it doesn't get dark till about 9:30, so lots more time to play! I've been tracking the weather and its really very similar to where we live now, just a longer spring and fall to enjoy, slightly colder winters, but a much more tolerable summer. We plan to make our move next spring!
DEAD ON.

I've lived in New England and Southwest Florida so you can see why I feel the same way. The only thing I miss is the profusion of vibrant reds in the fall in New England. But they can have the incredibly long, cold and snowy winters and the practically non-existent springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: