Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 03:17 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times

Advertisements

I am about 2 years out from retirement and doing some preliminary investigation of the Knoxville area. I love the Northshore Town Center concept of small lots and walkability. However, it seems pricey for the square footage and the city/county taxes plus HOA fees are an added cost...without much in the way of amenities the fees seem high. Not sure what impact the apartments will have either. I can't seem to find anything comparable, though. My daughter just moved into a house in Jefferson Park, so I want to stay in that area. Any suggestions? I just don't want to depend on a car for everything and I don't want a large yard to maintain. I also need a detached dwelling since I have dogs that can be vocal when they are playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 01:48 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
There is a development behind Farragut Town hall with small lots. The field across the street had plans for a town center that fell through with the recession but may be revived.

I've always thought one of the best neighborhoods for walkability is Village green. Walk to the library, park, fresh market, etc. The lots are larger but you may find a partially wooded lot. It may be worthwhile to pay someone for maintenance if you save money on the house.

For smaller lots I'm thinking of a subdivision off concord road, maybe summerdale or loop rd??? Conventional subdivision but the lots were smaller. No sidewalks in the subdivision but I think as concord rd was expanded sidewalks were added. Historic Concord is a quaint area with older homes on small lots.

Farragut is pretty sidewalk happy, at least in new construction, so that could be a place to focus your search.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:31 AM

Thank you for the tips. I am going to be in the area this week and will do some scouting around. Appreciate the response!

Old 11-24-2015, 03:35 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Check out Fountain City, too.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:45 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I love Northshore Town Center. It still has a ways to go, regarding expansion, but if I were looking for new, it would be at the top of my list. The quality of the work is wonderful. Besides, it has a Publix and a Target. How can you beat that?

Old 11-25-2015, 10:27 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
And my favorite Casual Pint is close by!

Old 11-25-2015, 05:19 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
And my favorite Casual Pint is close by!
Yes, that is a cool area.

I should mention that there is an excellent elementary school that was built in Northshore Town Center. Even if you don't have kids, it tremendously helps the resale value.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:42 AM

Fountain City looks like a neat area, and I did consider it, but I think it is a bit far from my daughter and I wonder about making new connections with neighbors for a single empty-nester in that sort of traditional neighborhood. However, I use Meetup a lot in Atlanta for hiking, dining, social and political activities. It looks like Meetup is pretty active in Knoxville, too. So, that is an alternate path for meeting people.....so maybe a traditional neighborhood would be okay. My grandchildren, when I have them (my daughter just got married in October) would go to the new elementary at Northshore Town Center and I love the idea of being so close to his/her/their school. I drove through there this past weekend when I was in the area for Thanksgiving. It looked just like it does on Google Earth (funny how Google Earth can make you feel like you have been to places you have never set foot near). It appears that construction is heating up. I just hope the future phases don't price me out. I have followed the controversy over the apartments at NTC and will be interested to see how they impact the area...mainly the traffic.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:12 PM

75 posts, read 226,646 times
Nothing compares to Northshore Town Center for convenience. Walk to Target, Publix, brand new elementary school, and various restaurants/quick eat places like Five Guys, pizza, etc. When the economy came back, that neighborhood came back very quickly.

Lots are tight, and prices are higher, but they are not having trouble selling them.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:19 AM

I like the small lots. I hear many people in my age group looking for the same things....walkability to a small dowtown, fewer square feet, but nice finishes, detached, small lots.....developers seem slow to catch on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville