Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 01:35 PM

257 posts, read 490,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
It snows a lot in E Tennessee too.
Laughing my butt off at your comment! I am not sure where in upstate NY the original poster lives but if is Buffalo, they call 6" of snow a dusting!

We grew up in Buffalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 01:47 PM

885 posts, read 1,168,850 times
LOL. We live in cherry Valley, right outside Sharon springs. We don't get 6 ft of snow but 6-7 inches is hardly worth mentioning up here. Even 12 inches isn't so bad.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:54 PM

1,273 posts, read 993,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnemj View Post
Laughing my butt off at your comment! I am not sure where in upstate NY the original poster lives but if is Buffalo, they call 6" of snow a dusting!

We grew up in Buffalo!
I live im Memphis and comparatively E Tennessee gets a lot of snow.

Last edited by JMT; 11-03-2015 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 11-02-2015, 04:54 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,677,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
We are considering retiring to eastern Tennessee: Knoxville, Maryville, Bristol, or Gatlinburg areas. Everything I read or hear about, the crime "down south" or in Tennessee causes concern since as we age the "elderly" are common targets (we are currently in our early 60's). Is it as bad as I hear, or is it that the statistics lump in "bad areas" and the "tourist" pick pocket types of crimes? thanks.
I'm from west Knoxville, and if this tells you anything, I almost always leave my car running when I run into the gas station (and so do lots of other people). I've never felt Knox is an unsafe city.

Last edited by Mister 7; 11-02-2015 at 05:26 PM..

Old 11-03-2015, 06:46 AM

885 posts, read 1,168,850 times
Thanks everyone. Tennessee snow sound pretty. NYS (or Alaskan) is pretty the first snowfall, the 12th or April snow- not so much.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:42 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,192,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
We are considering retiring to eastern Tennessee: Knoxville, Maryville, Bristol, or Gatlinburg areas. Everything I read or hear about, the crime "down south" or in Tennessee causes concern since as we age the "elderly" are common targets (we are currently in our early 60's). Is it as bad as I hear, or is it that the statistics lump in "bad areas" and the "tourist" pick pocket types of crimes? thanks.
I'm in Bristol. The crime is mostly shoplifting, domestic stuff, and idjits making meth. I too occasionally forget to lock doors and it doesn't bother me. There is little to nothing in the way of graffiti, carjackings, drive bys, gang related violence, wilding or any of the other nonsense I had to hear about all too often while living in Memphis.
As far as snow here, well let's just say that most of the time I take a broom to it, not a snow shovel. The city does a pretty good job keeping the roads clear when it does snow, but if you go further out be prepared to have to wait for the roads to be cleared. It does get colder than I think a lot of people expect for TN, down into the single digits sometimes.
The most off putting thing about Bristol to me is that it is rough looking from two of the main roads. A lot of the empty buildings that were here when I first moved have been torn down or re-purposed, but there are still a lot of run down storefronts that could use a fresh coat of paint and weed free landscaping, and car lots, lots of them! My first impression was not favorable, but once you get off those roads there are some really pretty areas here.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:50 AM

745 posts, read 1,721,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
I live im Memphis and comparatively E Tennessee gets a lot of snow.

I did live in Fairbanks, Alaska for 4 years if we are having a pissing contest.
With all due respect, your comment is inaccurate. East Tennessee is comprised of 34 counties with very diverse topography, some elevations of more mountainous far eastern counties get more substantive amounts of snow, while others at lower elevations get very little, comparatively speaking. Memphis averages 3 inches of snowfall annually,

Climate Memphis - Tennessee and Weather averages Memphis

while Knoxville's average is slightly over six inches, not a big difference. Even Chattanooga, in East Tennessee, gets less snow on average (2 inches) than Memphis.
So, shooting from the hip, so to speak, belies the facts.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:52 AM

927 posts, read 761,647 times
Someone told me there's very low crime in Nashville

Old 11-03-2015, 10:27 AM

745 posts, read 1,721,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
Who would have told you that?

Old 11-03-2015, 10:37 AM

35,108 posts, read 31,388,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
Probably true in the rich and prestigious suburbs, but not in the core city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville