Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 04:37 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,771,995 times

Advertisements

I've heard it both ways.

It depends on the inflection of the person's voice & the look on their face. (sappy sweet & a snarky look)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 12:34 PM

377 posts, read 474,499 times
The tobacco comment is a real culture shock for northerners, Barking Spider. I wasn't limiting my observation to cigarettes. In fact what has shocked me most is how many young boys walk around with chew, spit, or whatever that disgusting habit is. All my boys picked up the nasty habit too, even though I did everything I could to stop them. It's much more accepted here than up north.

Thanks for the "bless your heart" clarification, DubbleT. I did notice that sometimes people said in confusing context -- now I know.

Just to clarify, I LOVE living here in the Knoxville area.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,479,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathiOH1 View Post
The tobacco comment is a real culture shock for northerners, Barking Spider. I wasn't limiting my observation to cigarettes. In fact what has shocked me most is how many young boys walk around with chew, spit, or whatever that disgusting habit is. All my boys picked up the nasty habit too, even though I did everything I could to stop them. It's much more accepted here than up north.

Thanks for the "bless your heart" clarification, DubbleT. I did notice that sometimes people said in confusing context -- now I know.

Just to clarify, I LOVE living here in the Knoxville area.
I don't see anything like that at all, and I'm a Northerner, but I live in Knoxville and not Maryville. That isn't a slam at Maryville, just an observation.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:55 PM

5,814 posts, read 2,698,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndGirl26 View Post
Hi -- I have lived in So Calif all my life and am looking for a change of scene with more greenery, four seasons and more affordable housing/lifestyle. I'm single (divorced) in my 50's, and want to be near city amenities but living in an area with open spaces and nature. I love mountains, hiking, rivers, waterfalls, and am a landscape photography buff.

I had narrowed it down to the Knoxville or Chattanooga, TN area, or Greenville, SC, possibly Fort Mill. Was getting excited, but something called my attention to crime statistics, and all these locations seem to have a lot of crime compared to areas I have lived. It may be a reason they are not on as many "best places to live" lists as I would think they would be based on other attractive factors.

I'm writing here to get opinions from residents. Does crime impact you personally? Are there communities near Knoxville that feel safe? Maryville? Was planning to visit soon but got a little spooked by some pretty surprising statistics I read, and you really can't tell a lot about crime from a 2 week visit.

Also, any So Cal transplants that have opinions on 'culture shock' warnings? I'm not extremely conservative or liberal, but not a church attender. It seems to me we are an increasingly mobile country, so culture may be 'melding' and not as much of an issue. More so in cities though and not suburbs?

Thank you!!
Knoxville (except certain parts on the east side) is a very safe city. It's nothing like SoCal, crime wise. Sure, things happen, but in the 32 years I lived there I never once felt unsafe.

Look for a house in West Knoxville and welcome to the easy life.

I'm leaving LA next week to come home after 20 months here. It's bittersweet currently bc this is an amazing place and literally we will be driving away in a week, but overall I am THRILLED to get back home. It's just too much here. Too much cost, too much hassle, too much stress, too many people. I've had my big city fix (which was always a goal of mine) and am ready to live in a medium sized city again where there aren't millions of people in my face 24/7. And God, I can't wait to get my boat out on one of the dozen lakes come spring and go to the mountains all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville