Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:13 PM

166 posts, read 244,220 times

Advertisements

We had 5" of snow in Anderson county (just north of Knoxville) Wed and got another 3 ish over the weekend. Except for shaded areas, its gone now. You'll find that due to the banding in the types of storms we get along with the topography of the area snow amounts will vary greatly from one community to the next. That said, the snow will not be an issue for you, nor will the cold. I ran my A/C on Christmas eve. That's highly unusual though. I am usually out on the lake in April and swimming in it easily in May.
I'd highly suggest that anyone considering a move visit first and check out all the surrounding counties as there are gems in every one of them.

I love Norris lake and the area surrounding it. State parks, scenery, the lake, hiking, hunting and small town. The views of the plateau and the scenery on the lake is gorgeous.

I'm sure there are other areas in Loudon, Blount, Roane and Knox county that are similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 08:09 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,514,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenJim View Post
We are now comparing Knoxville to Gatlinburg and Chattanooga as possibilities to buy a home in. While all the research I've done on Knoxville and Maryville makes them sound like the area would be a great fit for us, I wonder how it compares to the other 2 towns as far as ... vibrant downtown, great mountain views, nice hiking, safe area. Any input is appreciated!
If you are serious about the Chattanooga area and still want those mountain views, take a look at the Deer Ridge neighborhood in Collegedale, TN. Good schools, not too far from downtown Chattanooga, even closer to the large regional mall in the county, on the east side of town with proximity to the Georgia route to Atlanta (90 mins away), and views. It is only 5 minutes from Southern Adventist University and an adjacent 4+ mile greenway and the new Collegedale town center with Pickle Ball and athletic fields. New athletic fields are also under construction. It is in a beautiful wooded area, but only about 15 minutes from the expansive VW plant.

DRHA Home Page

LOL... looks like it's technically in Ooltewah, but all those things I said about Collegedale hold, as it's actually a short jog to the university which is inside the Collegedale limits, and it's closer to the middle of C'dale than the center of Ooltewah.

You can Zillow some Deer Ridge properties and they look like they're in your budget.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:51 AM

161 posts, read 237,822 times
Looking for a good area in Knoxville not to far from Grayson Hyundai. They offered to fly my family and I out for a weekend to see the area and dealership and meet some people before we decide to just move in July. Looking for an apartment at first close to and elementary school and a day care. Super nice gesture on their part. They were like Welcome to the South.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:57 AM

Check out some of the apartments along Gallaher View and Broome Road area. I believe that is in the school zone for West Hills Elementary and Bearden HS. West Hills has a very good, solid reputation. Grayson is very close. Plus very close to shopping of all types.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:07 AM

161 posts, read 237,822 times
Thank you. I will check into that.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:08 AM

142 posts, read 176,965 times
Thanks shinestx! I'll check into the area you recommended. The Maryville (Knoxville) area is now top on our list - doing more research makes it seem like home values in that area might be better than Chatt because of better schools, though I can't be sure, and that's just one part of the equation. For our budget (which is pretty good), do you know of a nice area of Maryville that isn't right in town, but has great mountain views??

Old 01-27-2016, 10:44 AM

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Maryville, although been through there many times. I'd be surprised if there are not any neighborhoods on ground that affords a view of the Smokies/Cherokee parks.

I do know of several neighborhoods in West Knoxville with nice views, although they tend to be the most pricey areas. I know several people who have views from their yards... in the Lyons Bend and Duncan Road areas. The problem with some of those homes however is that they are established and the trees are mature. So while on high ground they may not have unobstructed views year-round. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:30 AM

142 posts, read 176,965 times
Thanks much shinestx! I'll check that area out a little more. From what I looked up so far, there were just a couple homes on the market with views. I'm sure more will come on in the spring. The only thing with West Knoxville is that it's farther from the mountains for hiking, but still considering it.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:49 AM

132 posts, read 181,907 times
Good luck on your job interview/move to Knoxville. If I could find work, I would move from Metro Atlanta to there in a heartbeat!

Old 01-27-2016, 11:51 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,082,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenJim View Post
Thanks much shinestx! I'll check that area out a little more. From what I looked up so far, there were just a couple homes on the market with views. I'm sure more will come on in the spring. The only thing with West Knoxville is that it's farther from the mountains for hiking, but still considering it.
The Somkies aren't the only option for great hiking....

Hiking in Tennessee State Parks — Tennessee State Parks

Last edited by Bones; 01-27-2016 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville