Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2015, 09:42 AM

9 posts, read 7,860 times

Advertisements

I have done some research in the Knoxville area for days now and I really want to check it out. The problem is that my bf is an personal trainer and I literally do not see anything available for him.....
Can anyone offer any guidance who is maybe in that field?? With Google maps I see quite a few gyms (more than other towns including Nashville) but no jobs and a very very poor salary. He has his bachelor's in exercise science and has so much experience in the field. This is one of the things holding back researching this area any longer...is for 40k/yr for him unreasonable?? With my administration/csr experience I'm not going to be making (if I'm lucky) more than 13/hr and he says he wants to lean more towards atlanta to see if anything else is better for him? Him and I are never going to leave NY cause of this indecision and it is so bad
Please can someone shed any light at all for the fitness field in Knoxville?? is TN just not going to work?

Last edited by Evilinacloset716; 07-25-2015 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 10:46 AM

363 posts, read 483,686 times
He will have to be in very high demand, really good and offer amazing results/ products. I think he'll definitely be using any sales skills working as his own boss or working off of commission because I don't see any of the gyms offering that kind of salary.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:55 PM

9 posts, read 7,860 times
Yeah its usually commission. Here in NY he has many customers so it's good for him here but he wants out of the state of NY like I do. He's very good at what he does we just don't know if he has a shot in TN. What's the demand like?? Is there a market for this at all? Just from what I heard Knoxville is sort of like Asheville not entirely just a bit but I was hoping in West Knox where more of the money is that there would be a demand for trainers. I'm hoping because I really don't want to search elsewhere

Old 07-25-2015, 02:43 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,544,709 times
I agree with onetoughkitty. It's a tough sell in the area.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,364,007 times
From another post I see that you live right outside NYC. Is he making $40,000 now? That's really low for your neck of the woods.

You have to bear in mind that there is not going to be an apples-to-apples comparison between NYC and Knoxville for many things, including salaries. This is going to prevail for almost every profession. The good news is the cost of living is VERY different, as well.

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

Have you been here before? This may not be the area for you. I highly recommend a recon trip.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:46 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,833,972 times
Does he have to work for a gym, can't he do it freelance? Probably get more clients that way.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:15 AM

132 posts, read 192,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilinacloset716 View Post
Yeah its usually commission. Here in NY he has many customers so it's good for him here but he wants out of the state of NY like I do. He's very good at what he does we just don't know if he has a shot in TN. What's the demand like?? Is there a market for this at all? Just from what I heard Knoxville is sort of like Asheville not entirely just a bit but I was hoping in West Knox where more of the money is that there would be a demand for trainers. I'm hoping because I really don't want to search elsewhere
What I suspect is you are thinking he just needs to answer the classified ads and that's not the case... For what he does, it is like being a small company on his own! He will need to promote/advertise himself to establish his customer base. He can work-out at the gyms (maybe pass his card or post services on their boards) to meet potential clients. He can even offer inexpensive beginner classes through some gyms. Newspaper and online promotions are also typical. The more active he is, the more likely he will be noticed by potential clients that want to be/look like him. The odds are, he already knows all of this... After everybody goes out to eat at all the many restaurants down here, this can be his world of opportunity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville