Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,077 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Like many others before us, my wife and I just moved from Florida to Maryville. We are currently renting, but since we are planning to stay in the area for the long term (15+ years), we are looking to purchase a home.

In the interest of full disclosure, though Maryville looks like a perfectly nice town, my wife and I would really like to live in Knoxville. We decided to look for a home in Maryville for three main reasons: she works here (and I would rather be the one to commute if I found employment in Knox County), we are planning on starting a family soon (therefore we would like to take advantage of the local school system), and the Smokys are a half hour closer from Maryville.

Our perfect house would be a 3 bedroom, two stories, 1,500 sqft cottage, on a small (<.5 acres) wooded lot, with a detached (or hidden) single car garage, in a clean, safe neighborhood for less than $200k (how about that for specific!).

Our preliminary research indicates that, though no area in Maryville is outright dangerous or run down, some are clearly more desirable than others. We are looking predominantly at two sections of the city: the area surrounding Coulter Grove Intermediate School on Sevierville Road and the area marked by Montvale Road to the East and Old Niles Ferry to the West.

Property in the former neighborhood is more affordable, the vegetation is mature, and access to Knoxville appears to be easier. However, several lots are in a poor state of repair (front porch in disarray, debris in the back yard, poorly maintained lawns), and the retail strips close by are not appealing (Lamar Alexander Pkwy, Broadway Ave, and Washington St, I believe).

The latter neighborhood is clearly more affluent (properties are larger, well maintained, and often more pleasing to the eye), but, naturally, there are fewer properties in our price range, access to Knoxville is not direct, and vegetation is younger (in other words there are fewer big trees).

We have also been made aware that property in Blount County, just over the Maryville City Border, is less expensive and that property taxes are lower. However, once our perspective children will be of schooling age, we'll have to pay tuition to enroll them in Maryville City Schools (and I'm guessing the City will not provide bussing service). Besides, living South or East of Maryville would place us further away from Knox County, and potential employment and educational opportunities (we are both planning to continue our education at UT).

As you can imagine, I have been poring over maps and databases, cruising around neighborhoods, and soothsaying for answers (just kidding on the last one).

What are your thoughts on the two neighborhoods we identified? Are our perceptions inaccurate? Is there any other elements we should consider? Any other neighborhood matching our wants/needs?

Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 08:51 PM

6 posts, read 8,181 times
Your first neighborhood is a section of "east Maryville". Your description of which was pretty much on point. Cheaper, a bit run down, etc. Your second area is basically "west Maryville" - home of the Wimbledon, Heritage Hills, Cross Creek/Knightsbridge/Oxford Hills neighborhoods among many others. These are more expensive, and colloquially the nicer side of town. I'm biased; I grew up in the Oak Park neighborhood.

Also regarding Maryville City Schools and tuition. Don't bet on your children getting in a situation such that you could even pay tuition. A LOT of students are on the waiting list to attend MCS from out of the district.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,245 times
Hello-
I am in the process of learning about Maryville. I love the fact that it's so close to the Smokey Mountains. I noticed that on greatschools.net, that the high school there is at a "7". Does anyone know why? Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville