Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:51 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,247,257 times

Advertisements

Oh gosh, thats terrible. Hope everything turns out OK. Accidents can be very scary. Keep us informed.

Heading to bed... until tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Hubby and I just got back from a trip to the ER with Brother in law.
He was driving niece home from Dr's office, the windshield was fogged up a bit due to the rain, there was a bend in the road, he didn't see it, ran off the road and hit a fire hydrant. Air bags went off, niece was in from seat (I know, I know and so do they, she should have been in the back! ) She got a little bump on the forehead and scuffed nose. He dislocated his shoulder, had to go to the ER with him to get it put back in. Sister in law couldn't bring him as she is recovering from back surgery. Been a CRAZY road driving day all around! But glad everyone is now back at home, safe and sound with just a few bumps and car fix its needed.
Lets all try for a better day tomorrow ok?
(shoot, just looked at the clock, I mean today.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 11:55 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,255,430 times
Nothing nearly as bad here in the Tri-Cities. I did hear that there were a few accidents in Greeneville. I had to go there and back up to JC around 5 o'clock (right in the thick of the commuter traffic, made going through Jonesborough fun!) and it was very foggy and grey, drizzly and just thick.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:10 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
Wow, MBMouse! It was a terrible day for driving.

The car is fine, the hubby reports. I haven't dared to look!

It's 37 degrees here and down in Knoxville. Nothing looks frozen. Knox County is on a two-hour delay. I'm going to go into work in an hour. I'm sure that it is fine.

NWS is saying that temps should be 58 on Sunday and 60 on Monday!

Old 01-23-2008, 04:50 AM

812 posts, read 1,677,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Wow, MBMouse! It was a terrible day for driving.

The car is fine, the hubby reports. I haven't dared to look!

It's 37 degrees here and down in Knoxville. Nothing looks frozen. Knox County is on a two-hour delay. I'm going to go into work in an hour. I'm sure that it is fine.

NWS is saying that temps should be 58 on Sunday and 60 on Monday!
Yeah; After it hits 15 Friday morning

Old 01-23-2008, 05:49 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times
Default The Accident Count

Well, here's the count:

Knoxville Police Department said Knoxville police responded to 232 wrecks during a two-hour period.

In Knox County, 130 crashes were reported between 7 a.m. and noon.

Rural/Metro Ambulance Service responded to 251 calls between 6:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. - more than double the usual amount.

Anderson County Sheriff’s Department said deputies responded to 19 traffic crashes, with 9 involving injuries. That doesn't include Oak Ridge where police officers stopped responding to non-injury crashes about 8 a.m. because of the call volume and because they had seven or eight during a short period and were overwhelmed.

One man (from Lenoir City) died in an accident in Oak Ridge on his way to the Lab when his pickup slid into a tree. A woman also from Lenoir City died in a different crash in Loudon County when her car slid off the road and hit a utility pole.

Info comes from stories in the Oak Ridger and Knox News Sentinel.

Man killed in icy crash - Oak Ridger (broken link)

Ice causes road chaos : Local News : Knoxville News Sentinel

Old 01-23-2008, 03:19 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,141,657 times
Thumbs up I'm glad that all got through relatively safely.

Considering all of the ice and accidents, it is probably remarkable that there weren't more fatalies. I would imagine that most people were gauging their driving according to the weather conditions.

If there is ice - you will not see me on the road at all!

Old 01-23-2008, 04:25 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
If there is ice - you will not see me on the road at all!
The thing is Gem, the ice hit out of nowhere. People were caught out on the roads and it developed in a matter of minutes; literally. People that wouldn't venture out in a hard rain suddenly found the previously wet roads turn into ice. The black ice doesn't happen often here, but when it does it is awful.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:22 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,247,257 times
Thats terrible. The only fatality I know of here in Bristol was the one on Lee Hwy in Bristol VA, because before it changed to rain, there was some ice in some areas.

Even more woes tonight in Bristol VA at the exit 7 area of I-81, as some sort of a tanker with hazardous materials has crashed. Traffic on both north and south bound lanes (I think south bound is open again) in that area has been diverted and traffic is backed up badly from what I have gathered. They said it could take up to 6 hours before they can even begin to clear up, as they had to wait for another tanker to get out whatever the other tank was carrying. Looks like a long night for some.

If you click on the largest dot, it shows a live traffic camera of the area that is backed up.... (click on the southwest Virginia area)
Traffic Cameras

Old 01-25-2008, 05:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,040,028 times
Just crusing through and saw this thread... Glad to hear y'all are ok! I've got a silly question, here (it's about 5 below to 3 above depending on where you are at this point) we use studded tires during the winter. Is that allowed there or do I toss them when we finally sell this place? If it's not allowed do you think anyone would notice if I ran them until they died as they're not cheap....
Stay safe out there, I can relate to the ice and cold thing and especially slipping on it. I have a pair of shoes that have slip on ice cleats that stay on them all winter just for this and keep a pair of cleats in the car just in case I'm wearing different shoes.
Anyway, hope you stay warm and the polar express leaves y'all soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville