Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 6,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Many sub divisions have sidewalks, but they are few and far between. There are some in Farragut.
Just keep looking.
How about the apartment communities for renters? Most of them do not have sidewalks? (Kind of shocking/disappointing?) How about the apt communities in West Knoxville, e.g., surrounding West High, Bearden High, and Hardin Valley Academy? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 01:11 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
Lots of apartments near Beardon HS. Not sure about near West. I think there is a large complex on Hardin Valley close to Pellissippi State.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:27 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
The apartments near West high are mostly subsidized/based on income. For market rate rentals you may be better off renting a house. There are sidewalks along Sutherland and a great greenway along 3rd creek.

Most likely there won't be sidewalks on the interior streets but the city is working hard to make and connect sidewalks on the busier streets.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:13 PM

7,038 posts, read 6,289,652 times
What about disabled folks who use a walker or wheelchair? I still just use a cane & drive but the time is coming where I will need to use a walker occasionally, if not always. How do folks get around?

Old 07-09-2015, 08:31 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
Honestly, most people that use a walker or wheelchair drive, or are driven to shoppings areas, where there are handicapped parking spaces and sidewalks.
My Mother used a walker, and I would drive her all over for shopping or to go out to eat. The little bus at her assisted living place would take residents on outings all the time. Almost all of them had walkers, and a few were in wheelchairs.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:46 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
There is a senior complex in Bearden called the Carlton and you see people headed to shopping on their motorized scooters all the time. A bit too far for a walker or standard wheelchair unless one had stong arms.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:21 PM

7,038 posts, read 6,289,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Honestly, most people that use a walker or wheelchair drive, or are driven to shoppings areas, where there are handicapped parking spaces and sidewalks.
My Mother used a walker, and I would drive her all over for shopping or to go out to eat. The little bus at her assisted living place would take residents on outings all the time. Almost all of them had walkers, and a few were in wheelchairs.
Thanks barking. I almost took Knoxville off my list but you reassured me. I feel that I have to wait until at least next April when I moved in here. I also need to see how I handle this winter. I like where I live but it's not very convenient to shopping & there's no senior bus unless you move into town so I feel stuck between a rock & a hard place. I have to live in a rent controlled senior building or my quality of life would go down the drain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville