Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 03:54 PM

37 posts, read 44,609 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My husband and I are moving with our 2 and 6 year olds. We are looking for an area with great schools and also has houses with 5 or so acres. We spent some time in Maryville today but it seems that there isn't a lot of land. We also felt like the housing was either out of our budget or trailors. If anyne knowsof any little towns with good schools and houses with property I would love any suggestion.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 05:08 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,094,021 times
First......Where will you be working.....

Old 04-19-2015, 09:24 PM

35,171 posts, read 31,490,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
First......Where will you be working.....
This. What is your budget? What are your specific wants in a property? Where are you working and commuting to? No one can give you much realistic help without more specifics.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:30 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,819,376 times
With 5+ acres you'll probably be outside city limits just about anywhere in East Tennessee, which means you'll be in a county school system that's likely not "great."

As a general rule of thumb, small towns/rural areas in the South are not good places to look for strong school systems (or plentiful job opportunities).

Old 04-20-2015, 05:03 AM

Ill be teaching and my husband will be a driver (hopefully not over the road). I understand what everyone is saying. Thank you all so much. Ill continue on my search. Maybe we can find 3 acres or so.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:04 AM

As far as what we are looking for in a house we are not as specific in our needs because we can work on a house. We cant add property or work on the district.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asroberts1 View Post
Ill be teaching and my husband will be a driver (hopefully not over the road). I understand what everyone is saying. Thank you all so much. Ill continue on my search. Maybe we can find 3 acres or so.
I can only guess that you do NOT have a job lined up....

IMHO....I would NOT move anywhere without a job. Then with a job location established, I would rent for a year to get to know the area and where I would want to settle down with my wants and needs.....

I would not want to live on the outskirts of one side of town and have to commute to the opposite side for work everyday....

Old 04-20-2015, 11:23 AM

I'm looking at towns first soi know where to apply for jobs. There are schoolseverywhere. Iwill commuteup to30 minutes. But Iwould like to try to find the towns that will meet our needs.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:38 PM

35,171 posts, read 31,490,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asroberts1 View Post
I'm looking at towns first soi know where to apply for jobs. There are schoolseverywhere. Iwill commuteup to30 minutes. But Iwould like to try to find the towns that will meet our needs.
You could either do a large search across the whole area for properties that meet the needs, then work the job around the property. I would look for the job first, then make the property needs fit the job. If you have a job, at least you'll have some idea of what to base your property search around.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
You could either do a large search across the whole area for properties that meet the needs, then work the job around the property. I would look for the job first, then make the property needs fit the job. If you have a job, at least you'll have some idea of what to base your property search around.
^

Agree....

Just because "schools are everywhere" ......does not mean they will be hiring....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville