Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:54 PM

11 posts, read 24,919 times

Advertisements

Thanks creeksitter. I really appreciate your forthright answer. My hope is that they will be living near us. Living in Madison WI SS is not that big of deal so niether the girls nor my grandbaby have had any experience living in a culture that may judge them harshly.
We are moving so my husband can enjoy more time outside. His emphysema limits him in the summer and the winter here. I work in health insurance so do not anticipate huge issues, at least I hope not, with finding work but maybe for my daughter's sake do you think her lifestyle would blend in more in Chattanooga?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:11 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,600,149 times
No not particularly. Chattanooga has some progressive elements but historically it has been more conservative than Knoxville.

This is kind of a gut feeling, but it seems Knoxville is more Appalachian, with its culture of tolerance, Chattanooga has Appalachian elements but it is also blended with old and new south culture.

Also Knoxville was mentioned a couple years back as a surprisingly gay friendly city by the Advocate, FWIW. The top spot was Salt Lake city, BTW, which does have low humidity.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:19 PM

11 posts, read 24,919 times
Unfortunately my other daughter fell victim to a southern boys charms. Lola. We have two beautiful grandbabies in Jackson GA and son in Hopkinsville KY. West is out of the question. Besides neither off us want to spend our lives being scouredby sand. There's. Nothing like trees and water and green. Just can't give that up.
We will becoming coming for a visit to both areas in August to get a feel for things. Any non tourist off the beaten path things you would suggest my husband and I see?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:02 AM

745 posts, read 1,720,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I get the impression the OP had a list of questions to cut and paste to a number of cities.

It is a bit disconcerting to encounter someone who has to categorize a place as either/or to such an extent. And judge the demeanor of an entire city by the comment of one person.

Weisgarber, this part of your comment "sometimes ad nauseam" seemed a little snippy - to me at least, otherwise it was helpful advice. Sometimes a new poster hasn't figured out he search function.

My advice, which can be followed or not, is to hold off on long answers unless we hear back from the OP that Knoxville might meet her wish list.
I find that very hard to believe, but if so, there is nothing like diving in and finding out how to use "search." Most people have no trouble with the concept.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Frankly, the poster is not new and has been told this before on other areas of the forum. I'll be nice and stop there.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:21 AM

13,356 posts, read 39,983,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
I find that very hard to believe, but if so, there is nothing like diving in and finding out how to use "search." Most people have no trouble with the concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Frankly, the poster is not new and has been told this before on other areas of the forum. I'll be nice and stop there.
And this is a good way to end this thread. The OP is invited to come back and try again, this time following the rules as stipulated in the Terms of Service.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville