Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 05:29 AM

18 posts, read 47,332 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a place to buy a nice vacation property that (hopefully) pays for itself in short term rentals that my family can stay a few weeks out of the year (and as my wife and I get older we can spend more time at). Was originally looking in Florida but that seems to be a way too competitive market to make something like that work (especially with a mortgage). Not trying to get rich or make money, just find something that covers its own costs (mortgage, cleaning, mgmt, etc.).

Is something like this viable in the Sevierville area? I am just shopping online and there seems to be some mountain cabins for under $150,000.00 that appear to be nice quiet vacation spots with good rental history, is this correct? Are these actual mountain retreats or just another crowded vacation spot? Are these quality homes or just cheap builds? Any info or advice about the area is appreciated, thank you very much.

Example of what I am talking about -

2148 Little Valley Rd, Sevierville, TN 37862 is For Sale - Zillow

Last edited by pbiancardi; 01-20-2015 at 05:54 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 06:01 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Many cabins have close neighbors even though the photos don't show it. Some also have very steep driveways with little parking, which again, the photos won't show. Bookings can vary, you may have rental income for the entire month of October, a few in November, and then none in February and March. I wouldn't depend on the rental income to pay the mortgage, just consider it gravy money when you get it.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:48 PM

745 posts, read 2,208,752 times
Another thing you may consider is water source. Many cabins are on well water with a septic tank. That usually means fewer rentals, more gunk in your washing machine, jet tub, etc. It's something we have to look closely at when we book because of a family member that breaks out in some sort of rash when exposed to well water in the area. In general, we tend to have better luck with Gatlinburg or Sevierville than Pigeon Forge in my limited experience.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:01 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,804,376 times
This similar thread is a few years old but has some good info & things to consider:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/knoxv...yone-have.html

FWIW, I wouldn't buy a place that doesn't offer a semi-decent view of the mountains. Many people rent a cabin in the Smokies with the idea that they can go out on the front porch and enjoy a nice view, and if you can't offer that with your cabin it's going to be that much tougher to rent.

Also, be sure to use Google Maps' street, satellite & terrain views to get a good feel for the lay of the land (and the housing density).

Old 01-20-2015, 06:51 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
That boat sailed several years ago.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:14 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
That boat sailed several years ago.
I think it's a good time to buy a vacation home, if that's what it's going to be, but not necessarily to use as rental property.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 AM

18 posts, read 47,332 times
Where to shop in the area for vacation (non-rental) cabin? What price range would I have to do to get something decent (doesnt need to be huge)?

Old 01-21-2015, 04:22 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
There are lots of cabins for sale in the Gatlinburg area, also Wears Valley, Townsend, Walland, LOTS. They vary in size, location, views, access, and quality. Some are on wells, some do not have all that great of water (smells like sulphur).
The quality of construction varies a lot too, some are unsafe pieces of junk, and others are high quality.

I've been to some cabins that I would rather ride in an upside down, backwards roller coaster, blindfolded, than drive down the driveway. Some have views that can make you want to never leave. Others have views of some trees, and the side of a mountain.

I have been in some that I have to wonder how anyone gets to it in the winter. There are trade offs for everything, but you can figure that if the price is really low, there is a reason for it.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:53 AM

621 posts, read 1,614,933 times
My in-laws have actually purchased two condo's in the past couple of years. One is behind the Apple Barn, and the other right down the road in front of the Zorb rental place. Both 2-bed/2 bath, around 1200 sq.ft. They do a pretty decent amount of rentals on both throughout the year.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:59 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
My in-laws have actually purchased two condo's in the past couple of years. One is behind the Apple Barn, and the other right down the road in front of the Zorb rental place. Both 2-bed/2 bath, around 1200 sq.ft. They do a pretty decent amount of rentals on both throughout the year.
"Pretty decent amount of rentals" and "paying for itself" are two very, very different things, usually. In Sevier County, the chances of both being the same are probably nil.

It doesn't just come down to how many rentals you get. You have to think about rental management. Everyone, unless they live close by and have lots of time, has to use that service and it takes an enormous chunk of your profit, if not all, and if you have one to begin with.

We get this question over and over and it's always the same. Even when we were in the midst of the housing boom, but there was half of the rental inventory that we have now, I knew someone that couldn't come close to making a fraction of what she paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville