Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:55 PM

9,494 posts, read 10,862,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Please use pull-offs when anyone is "tailgating" you, Dragon or anywhere else. It's annoying to be tailgated, but it's also annoying to drive behind people who go 10-20 miles under the speed limit (not on the Dragon) for no apparent reason and not be able to pass them. Glad they finally banned trucks there, don't know why it took so long.

Yes if your driving under the speed limit you should allow traffic to pass, that is the polite thing to do. However a lot of these people on the bikes are going well over the speed limit and they are pushing and intimidating those in cars driving the legal speed limit. We need more sheriffs patrols on the dragon to get the crazies under control there. The kinds of things I see bikes do on that road is crazy, dangerous and out of control. The ones they call "crotch rockets" are by far the worst. The middle aged guys on Harleys are not usually the problem, they are usually there enjoying the road the same way everyone else is. Don't take this post the wrong way, I do believe if your impeding the flow of traffic and driving under the speed limit you should pull over. I also believe there needs to be more law enforcement there, that alone would get rid of a lot of the people causing the problems. The whole country knows about "the dragon" and every daredevil around comes here on a bike to say they rode the dragon. Most of these people driving like that don't even live in East Tennessee, some are literally from 500 to 1000 miles away. If they want to drive like that then they can do it in their own state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 02:49 PM

394 posts, read 797,657 times
If you read the Tenn drivers manual I think it says if someone wants to pass you (even if you're at the speed limit) you are supposed to pull over to allow them by. The context is for a multi lane road. In some states they do not make any distinction.

Tenn paved all the pull offs a few years back (I think) in an effort to encourage people to move over for faster traffic or big trucks.

The most egregious slow pokes are the big Harleys who come to an almost full stop in the sharp corners and refuse to use the pull offs.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:05 PM

132 posts, read 192,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnemj View Post
The Dragon is one of my least favorite places to ride. I am a competent rider but don't like aggressively ridden sports bikes passing me on blind curves after tailgating me for a few moments. Pulling off does no good because in a minute there will be another biker behind you. Happy to leave the road to the sport riders as I am content riding many other fine roads in the area!
I with you there... I haven't been on it yet and have put it off on purpose. Enjoying a lot of other back roads in the meantime. Someday, I will have to see what the big deal is... My wife wants to stay home that day. The "Devils Triangle" is supposed to be just as technical as the "Dragon," but it was empty when we went through it! It was also very beautiful... and we went slow too!

A few crazies spoil it for the rest of us... but glad they finally wised up about the trucks! It might just increase the sport bike speeds though...

Old 12-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 23 days ago)

16,150 posts, read 21,299,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC20853 View Post
If you read the Tenn drivers manual I think it says if someone wants to pass you (even if you're at the speed limit) you are supposed to pull over to allow them by. The context is for a multi lane road. In some states they do not make any distinction
This is from the manual. I've seen the slow driver laws argued to death in other forums, but I take the TN manual to mean that only slow moving vehicles are required to pull over, not those that are at or above the speed limit already.

You are considered to be driving a SLOW-MOVING
VEHICLE if you are traveling at a rate of speed that is ten
(10) miles per hour or more below the lawful maximum
speed. Whether you are operating a passenger vehicle or a
commercial vehicle, if five (5) or more vehicles are lined up
behind you, the law requires you to turn or pull off the
roadway as soon as you can do so safely. Slow drivers who
block other traffic cause many accidents. Remember, slower
s not always safer...

When driving, you should adjust you speed to flow along
with the speed at which other traffic is moving - provided the
other traffic is traveling within the posted speed limit
provided under Tennessee law!

Last edited by DubbleT; 12-09-2014 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: http://www.tn.gov/safety/publications/05Manual.pdf

Old 12-10-2014, 12:10 PM

394 posts, read 797,657 times
Here's a video of a truck going through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3oLZKBYO_E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: