Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:17 PM

36 posts, read 99,747 times

Advertisements

We Maryvillians will be happy to accommodate your fleeing families IF the following criteria are met:

1) IF you're moving here, assimilate into local culture. None of us care anything at all about how you did things in Florida, Michigan, Ohio or anywhere else you're running from.

2) You can control your children. Maryville city schools are good for many reasons. Foremost amongst them is that what might be considered "progressive" elsewhere is NOT welcomed by parents here. Is your kid a freaky pierced, tattooed skateboarder? We certainly have a few of those here but they will NEVER be a part of the mainstream achieving class.

3) For GODS SAKE please avoid buying, renting or pitching a tent anywhere Montvale road. You relocatee's have clogged this small artery to beyond capacity in a very short time. Enough is enough.... for everyone.

4) Crime in our lovely little burg has increased tremendously since we became known to the world. Again it's usually not the relocatee's that cause problems, it's their kids. If you don't have a skill, trade or something marketable in the job place, you might want to consider another area. We are full to the top with unskilled clingons moving here for "free" stuff.

5) If you don't like something about this town, anything at all, please consider moving elsewhere. Farragut might be a better choice as transplants comprise a goodly portion of their population. You will most likely have access to the franchises you enjoy in wherever you're from. Along with the attitude, impatience and high costs associated with know it all transplants "educating" us locals.

6) Football. If you have any negative connotations regarding HS or College ball, please stay away. You will NOT be happy here.

Other than that, learn how to drive (pack rules, especially on Alcoa Hwy), listen to others, be courteous and respectful and you'll receive like reception. Act like a typical know it all Floridian, whine about our "stupidity" or our culture and lack of "things"? to do, and you'll HATE it here. I personally guarantee it.

Good luck with whichever decission you make!

Old 12-31-2007, 06:10 PM

745 posts, read 1,729,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
We Maryvillians will be happy to accommodate your fleeing families IF the following criteria are met:

1) IF you're moving here, assimilate into local culture. None of us care anything at all about how you did things in Florida, Michigan, Ohio or anywhere else you're running from.

2) You can control your children. Maryville city schools are good for many reasons. Foremost amongst them is that what might be considered "progressive" elsewhere is NOT welcomed by parents here. Is your kid a freaky pierced, tattooed skateboarder? We certainly have a few of those here but they will NEVER be a part of the mainstream achieving class.

3) For GODS SAKE please avoid buying, renting or pitching a tent anywhere Montvale road. You relocatee's have clogged this small artery to beyond capacity in a very short time. Enough is enough.... for everyone.

4) Crime in our lovely little burg has increased tremendously since we became known to the world. Again it's usually not the relocatee's that cause problems, it's their kids. If you don't have a skill, trade or something marketable in the job place, you might want to consider another area. We are full to the top with unskilled clingons moving here for "free" stuff.

5) If you don't like something about this town, anything at all, please consider moving elsewhere. Farragut might be a better choice as transplants comprise a goodly portion of their population. You will most likely have access to the franchises you enjoy in wherever you're from. Along with the attitude, impatience and high costs associated with know it all transplants "educating" us locals.

6) Football. If you have any negative connotations regarding HS or College ball, please stay away. You will NOT be happy here.

Other than that, learn how to drive (pack rules, especially on Alcoa Hwy), listen to others, be courteous and respectful and you'll receive like reception. Act like a typical know it all Floridian, whine about our "stupidity" or our culture and lack of "things"? to do, and you'll HATE it here. I personally guarantee it.

Interesting little commentary, but probably wouldn't be followed by many who are relocating. They are socialized in another sub-culture, and resistant to change in many cases. Many would prefer to try and change the culture into which they are moving. Of course that won't happen and it creates frustration for natives and newcomers alike. But some would follow your advice and adjust nicely.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,158,079 times
Can I bring my rural NW Montana thinking with me???
Something along the lines of your kids represent your family to the outside world and should act/look accordingly and not like ganstas and thugs?

Old 01-01-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Can I bring my rural NW Montana thinking with me???
Something along the lines of your kids represent your family to the outside world and should act/look accordingly and not like ganstas and thugs?
I have traveled to your beautiful state many times and enjoyed it tremendously. I'm sure you'll enjoy Maryville as much as we'll be glad to have you

Old 01-01-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Interesting little commentary, but probably wouldn't be followed by many who are relocating. They are socialized in another sub-culture, and resistant to change in many cases. Many would prefer to try and change the culture into which they are moving. Of course that won't happen and it creates frustration for natives and newcomers alike. But some would follow your advice and adjust nicely.
These sub-cultures you mention are indeed prevalent amongst those about whom I'm talking about. I have traveled and lived in many different countries throughout the world in my life and one thing that became apparant very quickly is that no matter where a person in the transplant set resided last, it was vastly superior to where they reside currently.

In Milan Italy, I knew a family that honestly thought Italy was a completely backwards waste of time compared to their beloved home in freaking Philadelphia PA.

In College in London, I knew a guy who truly wished he could have been magically transported form the cultural epicenter of western civilization to his beloved home in rural Idaho. Why? He missed driving his car.

If you choose to move, you're doing so for a reason. Why anyone would run from some place, then attempt to turn the new place into the place they are running from, is beyond me. Oh yeah, business transfers? You didn't have to accept the transfer. You ALWAYS have a choice.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:54 AM

812 posts, read 1,684,731 times
Quote:

Can you better explain #1? Should we all be going out and purchasing pickup trucks for the sole reason of parading Rebel Flags as we drive through town on the weekends or is picking our nose in public enough?

#2: Parents are either good or bad. I have seen some excellent natives/transplants, and horrible examples of both. Just because the national average of responsible parents is declining as a whole doesn't entitle you to lump your local bad eggs into the 'bad transplant' section.

#3: Complain to the city or county council about zoning and increasing the cost to buy into land here. Make it high enough and nobody will build, keep it cheap, and they will come in droves. Don't like it? Change it or move.

#4: Prove it

#5: Your attitude should be doing wonders. Either you are angering people to not want to be a part of the community or angering people to want to be a part of the community just to aggrivate you. The joys of a double edged sword.

#6: Go Gators. Ok Maybe not. Yes, a good attitude towards high school and Maryville sports is important, and if you are going to watch local news; forget about 'hating' UT sports, but that is not Maryville specific.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:38 PM

745 posts, read 1,729,176 times
Quote:

If you choose to move, you're doing so for a reason. Why anyone would run from some place, then attempt to turn the new place into the place they are running from, is beyond me.
That very scenario has happened in Oregon and Washington, where many, many Californians have relocated.........to get away from a lot of the problems California has. However, they took their California attitudes and expectations with them, thinking that the "locals" in their new communities were provincial and had to change to meet the Californians desires. The Wall Street Journal did a story on this a few years ago. Not assimilating, or at least adapting, culturally creates a lot of problems. Not picking on Californians here, but I have had the opportunity to experience that very attitude from Californians, while traveling with several in other countries, most recently in eastern Turkey in autumn of 2006. But the assimilation or adaptation of others into a new culture and social structure, while clinging to their older ideas, habits, and lifestyles, isn't a California mindset totally. It is prevalent among many who relocate. It just seems to be a little more pronounced from those who relocate from California, in my personal experience.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
Can you better explain #1? Should we all be going out and purchasing pickup trucks for the sole reason of parading Rebel Flags as we drive through town on the weekends or is picking our nose in public enough?

#2: Parents are either good or bad. I have seen some excellent natives/transplants, and horrible examples of both. Just because the national average of responsible parents is declining as a whole doesn't entitle you to lump your local bad eggs into the 'bad transplant' section.

#3: Complain to the city or county council about zoning and increasing the cost to buy into land here. Make it high enough and nobody will build, keep it cheap, and they will come in droves. Don't like it? Change it or move.

#4: Prove it

#5: Your attitude should be doing wonders. Either you are angering people to not want to be a part of the community or angering people to want to be a part of the community just to aggrivate you. The joys of a double edged sword.

#6: Go Gators. Ok Maybe not. Yes, a good attitude towards high school and Maryville sports is important, and if you are going to watch local news; forget about 'hating' UT sports, but that is not Maryville specific.
#1 WTF are you talking about?

#2 Discount experience in favor of wishful thinking if you want. Hey! You won't be alone.

#3 WTF are you talking about? We natives don't complain. We do things at a grass roots level.

#4 "Prove it"?- see #2

#5 Assimilate or be unhappy- It's not rocket science

#6 Deal with it- or you can always go back the Florida. In fact I'm sure you've considered going back several times. My opinion is that you should retreat to your gated bi-lingual Shangri-la ASAP.

Thanks for stoppin' by.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,973 times

Please help me out. What is a "Maryvillian?" Is that a person who lives in Maryville, Tennessee? Is there a minimum amount of time required to be a member? Two generations? Or are you who want to impose "the rules" a decendant of those that assimilated so well when Tennesse was "settled" by the white man? What happened to the first residents of Tennessee? Let me see, I believe the Cherokee Nation was forced to walk to Oklahoma back in the 1830's. Not everone is running from something. Many people have a choice of where they wish to live. Some may even wish to move to your "lovely little burg". Once again, what makes it YOURS? Because you were there first? As a citizen of these here United States of America, I will exercise my legal rights in Tennessee or whereever I choose to live. If there is something I don't like or agree with, I retain my rights to work within the legal system to make change. I mind my own business and have no intention of forcing my beliefs upon anyone. At the same time, I expect you to respect my rights. Unlike you, I try hard not to stereotype anyone from a particular area, or for any other reason. I do not believe everyone in Maryville has an attitute, or is impatient, or is trying to educate new residents. I also believe that "typical know it alls" are not exclusive to 49 of the 50 states. I'm sure Tennessee has some too, and probably has for years. Bottom line, who died and made you boss? I had a mother, I don't need another one. You are no better than me. I know, you were there first, so you get to tell me how to live, what to do, what to say, what not to say, where to live, how to drive, and anything else you disagree with with. Nice try. I don't think so. I am an American. I will not allow you to tell me how to live. And as I said before, I won't tell you how to live either.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:27 PM

812 posts, read 1,684,731 times
Quote:
#1 WTF are you talking about?

#2 Discount experience in favor of wishful thinking if you want. Hey! You won't be alone.

#3 WTF are you talking about? We natives don't complain. We do things at a grass roots level.

#4 "Prove it"?- see #2

#5 Assimilate or be unhappy- It's not rocket science

#6 Deal with it- or you can always go back the Florida. In fact I'm sure you've considered going back several times. My opinion is that you should retreat to your gated bi-lingual Shangri-la ASAP.

Thanks for stoppin' by.

Great Attitude, sounds like typical Jersey. React first then think if it happens to be convenient.

I'd go down the line and ask you to explain yourself again, but obviously you didn't pay attention the first time I asked so why should I bother now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville