Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 12:07 PM

911 posts, read 2,155,196 times

Advertisements

Just curious! What's with all the crime in La Follette?
Is it a run down truck stop town, a farm area, or is it more cabin area, or what? The proximity to Knoxville is great, but the crime is surprising. Where's the crime come from? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 02:27 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,294,975 times
Are you going to move there, and have a legitimate concern?
I don't think LaFollette is exactly a hot bed for criminals.
Yes, there are cabins there.
I'm guessing there are farms in the area too.
While there are trucks that go thru town, and I'm pretty sure some of them stop there, I don't think it qualifies as a run down truck stop town.
The main drag might qualify as a speed trap, though.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
It's a combination of very small town - population is just over 7,000 - and rural. Unemployment is high, as well as folks on disability and meth production.

Meth labs roll on throughout Tennessee despite tracking | Times Free Press

Tennessee tops U.S. in meth labs; cleanup funds dry up

It is considered to be one of the hardest counties in the US to live in. In fact, there are a cluster of counties up there that are difficult, but Campbell County was ranked 3,056 out of 3,135.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/up...e-us.html?_r=0

Also, I don't think the proximity to Knoxville is all that "great." It's at least 45 minutes to downtown Knoxville, longer if you want to go to West Knoxville. I guess that would be fine if you only venture here in a blue moon, but if you are working in Knoxville, there are far better places to live. And to be honest, most people don't go out of their way to move to that area of Tennessee and if they do, the few that I've met have REALLY regretted it!

Old 07-24-2014, 06:51 AM

Oh, okay. Thanks. We have considered investing in cheap property up there, but I guess you get what you pay for. I asked about meth in Eastern TN before, but people acted like I was crazy. It was closer to cookeville.. To to east, I think it was. We had visited there, and definitely saw some signs.

Do you know of any inexpensive eastern TN areas that are safer and homely, instead of dangerous or suburbia? I'm thinking of a blue collar Mayberry within an hour of Knoxville.

Just weighing our options... We have too many options on where to live do we'll settle on the best deal for the climate, really. Just need to have something in September.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:55 AM

As you said, you get what you pay for.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:10 AM

Yeah, but we don't buying in an inconvenient, backwoods area, if it's safe, friendly, and has some natural beauty. The cost of a place can be lower just due to it being off the beaten path sometimes.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:29 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
Yeah, but we don't buying in an inconvenient, backwoods area, if it's safe, friendly, and has some natural beauty. The cost of a place can be lower just due to it being off the beaten path sometimes.
I would say, if you are looking for a bargain, and depending on what your definition of a bargain is, you might be looking for awhile.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:57 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
In Tennessee, the rural areas have a lot of crime, unemployment, and abject poverty. You may think the "country life" is quaint and like Mayberry, but it's not. Look at the map from the NY times and you'll see that not all rural areas are as poor, out of work, or crime-ridden as the rural TN/Appalachian areas - rural areas of NE, IA, MN, and even KS are doing quite well comparatively. Most of the crime is drug driven, either druggies after each other or people committing property crimes looking for drugs/drug money. There is also a lot of domestic crime. Crime in rural TN is usually not random, but there is a lot of crime. If you need to work, few jobs are available, and what there is usually pays poorly, even when you adjust for the cost of living.

The suburbs/suburban counties of the three big cities (Knoxville, Nashville, and Chattanooga) are going to be your safest, best off, and nicest. Memphis has some nice suburbs, but most of the area is still not very nice. The counties in the Nashville metro are doing very well, and some like Sumner and Cheatham still have a lot of rural/semi-rural land available at reasonable prices, but with fewer social problems and the ability to work in Nashville.

I am from Sullivan County, TN (hundred miles or so east of Knoxville) and drive the highway through eastern KY and into Claiborne/Union/Grainger/Hawkins counties when I come back home from Indiana, about once a month. I moved to Hamilton County, IN (12th on the list) and couldn't be happier with it compared to eastern TN. I wouldn't consider property in rural TN as a good investment - there are few jobs, crime is through the roof, and honestly little reason for new people to move in.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:13 AM

Well that was super helpful. Thanks so much. Not the greatest news for us, but good to know. We are more used to rural GA, CO, MN, WI, MI... Lived in and/or have relatives in those.. I wonder if western (not WV) Virginia is the same. I have family in Tazewell County, VA, so a cabin out hat way could be ideal... It didn't seem crime ridden when we went. Kinda nice and laid back, actually. I'd rather check out Tennessee I think, because there's just more amenities than that area of VA, and eastern VA is too expensive.

UGH. I wish we didn't have so many options. At least our budget restricts us lol

Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Well that was super helpful. Thanks so much. Not the greatest news for us, but good to know. We are more used to rural GA, CO, MN, WI, MI... Lived in and/or have relatives in those.. I wonder if western (not WV) Virginia is the same. I have family in Tazewell County, VA, so a cabin out hat way could be ideal... It didn't seem crime ridden when we went. Kinda nice and laid back, actually. I'd rather check out Tennessee I think, because there's just more amenities than that area of VA, and eastern VA is too expensive.

UGH. I wish we didn't have so many options. At least our budget restricts us lol
I don't know. You asked about an inexpensive area of Wisconsin and pretty much got the same response. If you are looking for dirt cheap, you are going to come across a lot of this.

By the way, in reading your other posts where you are checking out other areas, including other countries, I noticed that you are staunch Roman Catholic. I'm from the northeast with many Catholic friends. Anyway, if you live in a place like LaFollette, you might be considered devil worshippers.

Not quite, but in the real rural areas, Southern Baptists, Fundamentalists and even snake handlers (!) reign supreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville