Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,983,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
No. We're going to get slaughtered.

But I'm very pleased with how quickly Jones has re-energized the team and the fans. Let's hope it continues.
I'm definitely re-energized, and I know a heck of a lot of other UT fans who are re-energized. But I wonder why that hasn't translated into more fans at Neyland? The opening game was far from a sell-out (97,169) and the next one had even fewer fans: 86,783. If UT fans are so hyped about the Butch Jones era (and I am certainly one of them) why doesn't that translate into more tickets sold?

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 07:31 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm definitely re-energized, and I know a heck of a lot of other UT fans who are re-energized. But I wonder why that hasn't translated into more fans at Neyland? The opening game was far from a sell-out (97,169) and the next one had even fewer fans: 86,783. If UT fans are so hyped about the Butch Jones era (and I am certainly one of them) why doesn't that translate into more tickets sold?
A lot of teams (even good ones) have struggled with attendance lately.

I think the economy is a big factor. Not just because of the cost of tickets, but the fact that a good number of fans have to travel several hours for the games. This can mean hotel rooms, gas, meals, parking, and whatever other travel expenses there are.

Add that to the team being extremely disappointing recently, and this year's team being nothing more than a first step for Butch (his recruiting classes starting with next year's are really what excite a lot of fans), and with the quality of opponents (WKU is OK, but they aren't an SEC opponent or even a big out of conference opponent) and the game time (12:21 eastern, 11:21 central), and you have a recipe for lower attendance.

I also think Rat Hamilton is still to blame for ruining the student section by charging by the game. Doing that right as the team started to suck killed the incentive to go to the lesser games.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:22 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
The Ducks put it to the Vols today but we had a good first part of the first quarter. The Ducks penalties helped us out there. Our team did look a lot better dressed than Oregon with their awful yellow uniforms. I have to hand it to the team, they kept playing and showed class. The Oregon offense made me dizzy; they are fast! The Vols defense had some big plays. I lost respect for Oregon running the score up but I am also proud of the Vols. Not a bad showing for a rebuilding year.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I lost respect for Oregon running the score up but I am also proud of the Vols. Not a bad showing for a rebuilding year.
That's what Oregon does. I don't think it's out of disrespect. They don't take their foot off the gas...not just to put up points and stats, but to get ready for the next opponent.

I know we hate being on the business end of an ass-whipping like that, but remember, they are #2 in the country...they are going to do everything they can to be in the top 2 at the end of the season. I can't say I blame them for that.

I was expecting this, so I wasn't upset...though I really would've liked to see more from the offense. Worley just plain isn't an effective passer. The Ducks wouldn't have had so many possessions (and points) if Tennessee had been able to move the ball more effectively.

Hopefully the team will take it in stride and just work to get better before playing Florida. I don't think we'll beat Florida, but after the Oregon game, playing Florida should seem like a nice relaxing stroll in the park.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:03 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
The passing game definitely needs some attention. It will be interesting to see their poise at the Fla game. Butch gets to coach for skill and address emotion and pride now too.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:14 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,018,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
The passing game definitely needs some attention. It will be interesting to see their poise at the Fla game. Butch gets to coach for skill and address emotion and pride now too.
That's an understatement. Four of the next five teams played are in the top 25. Without a lot of improvement in the passing game, it could be a long 5 weeks.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:39 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
I didn't watch the game. I - we - all knew this would happen.

Anyone that laughs at us is ridiculous. They are number 2 in the nation and we are just building our organization. Rome wasn't built in a day. Still love my Vols.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:53 PM

950 posts, read 3,192,892 times
I watched the game on the local ABC TV affiliate. Yeah, it was expected that Oregon would win the game. I didn't think that Oregon would manage to score that big.

Give the new coach the chance. I am sure they will be back to the top like they are supposed to be. I have read on my Mother's Facebook, there were ridiculous comments about Tennessee losing, blah, blah. I would rather to watch Tennessee playing against their SEC opponents.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I watched the game on the local ABC TV affiliate. Yeah, it was expected that Oregon would win the game. I didn't think that Oregon would manage to score that big.

Give the new coach the chance. I am sure they will be back to the top like they are supposed to be. I have read on my Mother's Facebook, there were ridiculous comments about Tennessee losing, blah, blah. I would rather to watch Tennessee playing against their SEC opponents.
Most *rational* fans know better than to set their expectations high this season. If the 2014 recruiting class holds up, it will be a good one. Next year should give us a better idea of what this team under Butch Jones will look like...but it will still be a rebuilding year, I believe. We're going to lose our entire starting offensive line, which is our one true strong point this year...and we'll lose some other seniors (and maybe a few juniors) here and there.

What I am looking for this season is a team that plays hard and plays with pride. About the only way we'll be able to measure Jones's coaching ability will be through effort and team discipline. So far, so good.

I'm not ready to call Butch Jones the solution, but I am impressed with what I see so far. More than anything, it's the attitude. We'll get a better idea of how well he coaches the X's and O's once he has a roster mostly made up of his players (2015 season). As fans, we need to be patient.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 PM

4,884 posts, read 5,018,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Most *rational* fans know better than to set their expectations high this season. If the 2014 recruiting class holds up, it will be a good one. Next year should give us a better idea of what this team under Butch Jones will look like...but it will still be a rebuilding year, I believe. We're going to lose our entire starting offensive line, which is our one true strong point this year...and we'll lose some other seniors (and maybe a few juniors) here and there.

What I am looking for this season is a team that plays hard and plays with pride. About the only way we'll be able to measure Jones's coaching ability will be through effort and team discipline. So far, so good.

I'm not ready to call Butch Jones the solution, but I am impressed with what I see so far. More than anything, it's the attitude. We'll get a better idea of how well he coaches the X's and O's once he has a roster mostly made up of his players (2015 season). As fans, we need to be patient.
Well stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville