Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 PM

41 posts, read 133,520 times

Advertisements

Hi All, We are locating to Knoxville in June because we love the nature there, particularly the Mountains. Knoxville is a big wide city, which side of the city gets the best view of the Mountains? Are those areas safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Knoxville is in a very wide valley so there are hardly any views of mountains. To add to that, Knoxville is very hilly in many parts. In fact, you usually get a glimpse of them from the main roads or highways if you are lucky. Your best bet is to live in West Knoxville or North Knox County to get some views of the Cumberlands...maybe. Or perhaps in East Knox County or parts south to get a glimpse of the Smokies. Down Rutledge Pike is also very pretty with House Mountain and the ridges. But people generally don't live here for the view of the Smokies. We live near them and enjoy all that Knoxville has to offer. It is beautiful on its own and particularly known for its flowering trees such as the dogwoods, its parks and greenways, that it hugs the Tennessee River.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
I am sorry hik - I know it will hurt your feelings but I have to strongly disagree.

I am quite the coinnesseur of Smoky mountain views and there are plenty to be found. I think the OPs will fit into Scott Ave the best or Buffat Mill near North Hills if they want more elbow room. I could go on and on. There are some jaw dropping views in Holston Hills. There are great views from some of the West Knox suburbs for anyone concerned about good schools. Some of the best views are from poor neighborhoods, Lonsdale for example.

Are you thinking about a studio/home situation? There might be a couple of options on Central near Scott if the owners want to sell. There's a small commercial building on Scott, also some property on Oak Hill near Tenova hospital will have views and might be zoned properly.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 AM

41 posts, read 133,520 times
As you can see by my handle 'austinbound', we tried that, had to come back home, long sad expensive story. As for Knoxville, my husband is from India, and I took him to see the Smokies and I could not hardly get him to leave. We are visiting Jan. 12 for a short trip because we cannot wait to really look at the city. My family home is in north Tn, Scott county and every time I visit TN, I have a feeling of 'coming home'. Don't know why I have waited so long to move here, but the decision is made and I cannot wait. We are stuck in Dayton, Ohio until June though...so...we will be visiting lots, I think. I am an old hippie chick and love natural living. I have enjoyed reading your posts through out the site, Creeksitter, very informative, especially about the studio/living line. We will check it out. Thank you so much for the feedback. Blessings, Ren'ee

Old 01-04-2013, 02:21 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Since you can get great views from many different areas, you really need to just drive around and get a feel. On one street you may find homes with great views and a hundred yards away, no view at all. It really doesn't matter if the house is not available.

I've been in many homes where the view isn't apparent until you step on the rear deck.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:11 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Have you thought of Maryville, or out toward Sevierville?? Those areas will have more views of the smokies.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 PM

345 posts, read 921,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinbound10 View Post
As you can see by my handle 'austinbound', we tried that, had to come back home, long sad expensive story. As for Knoxville, my husband is from India, and I took him to see the Smokies and I could not hardly get him to leave. We are visiting Jan. 12 for a short trip because we cannot wait to really look at the city. My family home is in north Tn, Scott county and every time I visit TN, I have a feeling of 'coming home'. Don't know why I have waited so long to move here, but the decision is made and I cannot wait. We are stuck in Dayton, Ohio until June though...so...we will be visiting lots, I think. I am an old hippie chick and love natural living. I have enjoyed reading your posts through out the site, Creeksitter, very informative, especially about the studio/living line. We will check it out. Thank you so much for the feedback. Blessings, Ren'ee
Sorry to hear you are stuck in Dayton, Ohio! That's where I am originally from!

As others said, you may want to try Sevierville, Seymour, Straw Plains or Kodak for exceptional views.
Wish I could offer more assistance to you on where in Knoxville, but it seems that creeksitter gave you some excellent suggestions! There are a few nice small apartment complexes in those areas I listed that are nice, just off the beaten path a bit.

Hope you have a great time on your short trip here this weekend! Bring me a box of Esther Price, a Frisch's Big Boy sandwich or a Cassano's big cheese pizza, would ya? Seriously, safe travels!

Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 PM

306 posts, read 757,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinbound10 View Post
Hi All, We are locating to Knoxville in June because we love the nature there, particularly the Mountains. Knoxville is a big wide city, which side of the city gets the best view of the Mountains? Are those areas safe?
Maryville has what you are asking for, avoid Sevierville..the traffic is a nightmare. Maryville (pronounced murvil) is a 20 minute drive to the Great Smokies or downtown Knoxville, plus the airport is nearby.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:49 AM

142 posts, read 176,410 times
Hi. We live in Chicago and are thinking of moving to a warmer climate once the kids are settled with colleges in a few years - we hate the cold and snow! We might buy a vacation home now to eventually move to. We love mountains, hiking, lakes, rivers. Would Knoxville be a good fit? We'd like a town/city that is big enough so it has plenty to do, but not super big. Thanks!

Old 10-25-2015, 10:00 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Knoxville would fit all of your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville