Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 10:00 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times

Advertisements

Ok, here is what I have found so far:

Moderator cut: link removed

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...vely-safe.html

Top 100 Least-Safe Cities (Highest City-data.com crime index) (pop. 5000+)

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 06:30 AM..

Old 09-08-2007, 10:05 AM

86 posts, read 414,642 times
Thanks tons!!!

Old 09-08-2007, 11:06 AM

375 posts, read 1,097,521 times
As I read through this it seems that one of the aspects that has you angriest is that the thief was a relative recommended by a 'good' employee. At it's root this may be a result of a common Tennessee mountain version of the southern extended family, I've witnessed transplants get burned by it in one way or another on a number of occasions. To put it bluntly family comes before outsiders, even if we like you and the family in question isn't for much and the relation isn't that close by non-mountain standards. I find it very difficult to believe that your 'good' employee didn't know about her relative's theft habit. Such has become standard holiday dinner gossip. Who's in jail, getting out of jail, who has warrants out, writing bad checks, stealing cars, in rehab, etc., etc. Meth and oxy have done some bad things to the mountains that wouldn't be fixed for decades if both disappeared from the face of the earth tomorrow. She probably hoped he wouldn't steal from you but knew he needed a job so she crossed her fingers gave a recommendation and hoped for the best.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:03 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
As I read through this it seems that one of the aspects that has you angriest is that the thief was a relative recommended by a 'good' employee. At it's root this may be a result of a common Tennessee mountain version of the southern extended family, I've witnessed transplants get burned by it in one way or another on a number of occasions. To put it bluntly family comes before outsiders, even if we like you and the family in question isn't for much and the relation isn't that close by non-mountain standards. I find it very difficult to believe that your 'good' employee didn't know about her relative's theft habit. Such has become standard holiday dinner gossip. Who's in jail, getting out of jail, who has warrants out, writing bad checks, stealing cars, in rehab, etc., etc. Meth and oxy have done some bad things to the mountains that wouldn't be fixed for decades if both disappeared from the face of the earth tomorrow. She probably hoped he wouldn't steal from you but knew he needed a job so she crossed her fingers gave a recommendation and hoped for the best.
As I take a break during halftime of the Wake-Nebraska game, I was curious to see if anyone else was going to complain about how dumb and crooked people in Pigeon Forge are.

I agree with what you said, yarddawg.

I also think it's telling that rather than assume that everyone in the mountains is as sweet and hard-working as her "good" employee, amyevansmom decided to paint a broad picture of lying, thieving, poverty-stricken yokels who can't wait to commit crimes.

I am truly sorry for the problems you're going through, amyevansmom. From not knowing that there's a Meijer down here to not doing background checks on employees who are entrusted with your money, I hope you've learned to be more thorough in your research before moving to an area.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:07 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
That really is interesting. I'm saddened (but not surprised) to see that resort towns like Pigeon Forge and Branson MO have such high crime rates. I think anywhere a bunch of tourists gather, crime will follow. It just goes to show that you can't be too careful, even in a family-friendly place like Pigeon Forge.

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 06:29 AM..

Old 09-08-2007, 12:10 PM

AMEN! Well said!

Old 09-08-2007, 12:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
This has nothing to do with the good people of Tennessee.

After living in Fort Myers, Florida, I vowed that I would never live in a tourist area again. And that has nothing to do with the good people of Florida.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:31 PM
pdq

170 posts, read 527,509 times
I'm a TN native but having lived in MI and other Midwestern states I understand where you're coming from. Outside of metro Detroit, Chicago, and Cleveland, there is little crime. My cousins in western MI have never locked their doors, ever.

East TN is sort of like if you took the problems of inner city Detroit and spread them out over a large area, tucked away in the mountains out of sight. You may not see them right away but they're still there waiting to get at you and your money.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:31 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned I went and asked owners/managers that I know about their track records w/ employees and the picture that was painted was quite bleak. I hear a lot about the transients, which they don't give a crud about the workplaces here, but I haven't hired any transients, but I've had 2 locals steal from me, 4 just up and not show up after they were hired, not to mention the countless that didn't even show up for interviews. My best three employees were one from SC that moved here to stay, a teenager from G-burg, and a retired man from Powell. That's it. Store owners here are stolen from regularly, but what can we do? Work the stores by ourselves? No. I'm sorry if I don't paint a perfect picture of this beautiful area that people want to sugar-coat. My former town was not picture perfect either, but NEVER have I had such problems w/ liars and cheats. I try to help people here, and make their lives better. I pay above average pay and pay their medical insurance, plus paid holidays and paid vacations. Not many places offer that. I only came here hoping for the best for myself and my family and I've always been taught to help those less fortunate. But it sure is hard to keep helping when they rob you blind and what I give them is never enough. I so wish it weren't true. I will not lie and sugar-coat this area. I simply will not.

Last edited by mbmouse; 09-08-2007 at 07:33 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 12:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq View Post
I'm very sorry to hear about your robbery. East TN is very high in crime. It is the drugs and poverty, they are rampant. TN has ranked in the top 5 in meth use for as long as I remember. A few of us here have been saying this for some time now but we always get drowned out by everyone talking about the wonders of Utopian East TN.

Sorry that you're dissillusioned, I've been dissillusioned for quite a few years now and I'm a native. They lock them up for awhile, then out they come to do some more damage. TN also ranks #1 in the US in perscription drug abuse, legal and non-legal. Oxy-Contin is destroying TN.

Try to hang in there and put these people in jail.
Good luck to you.

Well, this is upsetting.

My subdividsion has had 5 robberies/house break-ins- I live in a nice quiet area- My neigbor said the police said they were on drugs....they did arrest one of them- kids on meth.

I have dogs, but my neighbor said, if they have guns...

It is sad- seems no place is safe anymore.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville