Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 01:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times

Advertisements

I've checked Google and can't seem to find anywhere that repairs cameras. Wolf/Ritz might but it has horrendous reviews - worst I've ever seen for anything - and it looks like they just do sales and only for Sony and Nikon. We have tons of everything else in Knoxville but no camera repair? I have a Canon Digital SLR. I'm not sure if I want to repair it or buy another but I'd love to have someone at least look at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 01:21 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Does Thompson do camera repairs? They might know who does them if they don't.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:04 AM

I didn't know about Thompson as a camera store. I am going to find out. Thanks!

Old 12-31-2011, 02:43 PM

181 posts, read 464,596 times
just wondering if you found someone ? I have a camera with a roll of film stuck in it .

Old 12-31-2011, 06:55 PM

No. I've looked around at new cameras. I might get a small one. But I have a Canon digital SLR. It's a nice camera but my husband - soon to be ex - dropped it and really messed it up. I'm considering sending it away to Cannon. It will probably be worth it.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:23 PM

181 posts, read 464,596 times
well shoot ....I don't even remember what's on that film but want to get it out. Hope you get yours figured out . Sounds like sending it to the Co. might be good , maybe it wouldn't be much to fix it. Good luck and thx for answering.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Hik, my wife had a Cannon EOS Rebel that quit working last year (3 years old btw). We took it to a camera repair shop and they told us that it'd cost more to repair it than it was worth and if we did pay to fix it we'd still have an old camera that was worth little.
We thought about it for a few days and decided he was right, $200 to fix a camera worth that or less didn't make sense so we sold the store the parts they were willing to buy.
We then went and bought another Canon Digital from Costco and the lenses we had from the old camera fit the new one as well so that worked out ok. You could look at buying a "body only" Canon camera and just use your current lenses maybe?
I know my wife loves her new one!

Old 01-01-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Hik, my wife had a Cannon EOS Rebel that quit working last year (3 years old btw). We took it to a camera repair shop and they told us that it'd cost more to repair it than it was worth and if we did pay to fix it we'd still have an old camera that was worth little.
We thought about it for a few days and decided he was right, $200 to fix a camera worth that or less didn't make sense so we sold the store the parts they were willing to buy.
We then went and bought another Canon Digital from Costco and the lenses we had from the old camera fit the new one as well so that worked out ok. You could look at buying a "body only" Canon camera and just use your current lenses maybe?
I know my wife loves her new one!
Nope. The lens is broken. That's the problem. I have a Cannon EOS Rebel. Three years old. I thought the same thing regarding buying another one so I went out to price them. Those cameras go for far more than $200. Their entry model is $550 at Best Buy and it goes up rapidly from there. Of course to fix the lens might cost far more than $200 but we'll see. My camera cost over $800.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Nope. The lens is broken. That's the problem. I have a Cannon EOS Rebel. Three years old. I thought the same thing regarding buying another one so I went out to price them. Those cameras go for far more than $200. Their entry model is $550 at Best Buy and it goes up rapidly from there. Of course to fix the lens might cost far more than $200 but we'll see. My camera cost over $800.
If the only problem is the lens then I'm with you, either send it to cannon or buy a new lens.
As for the cost, yep, they're certainly not cheap by any means. I know my wife was ticked as she'd spent over $600 a few years ago to get it. You can find 'em used for around $300 +/- with lens or $150 body only so she figured it wasn't worth spending $200 to fix it.
She ended up with a Canon T2i as a replacement. i got her a telephoto lens for our anniversary (Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM for Canon) that has image stabilization. Man that thing can reach!
We get some of our stuff from B&H photo, they've usually got great prices and a decent reputation, you might want to look there for a new lens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville