Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:31 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,101,471 times

Advertisements

I was told if someone in TN has a toolbelt and a hammer, their considered a "carpenter". That coming from a new neighbor of mine that just built his home and he found out the hard way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 05:47 AM

1,093 posts, read 471,600 times
My husband is very handy, does our remodeling, even built our first house with the help of his brothers. Electrical was the only inspection required, but times here in PA have changed, now every thing has to be inspected. Anyone know what inspections are required in TN?

Old 06-18-2008, 08:26 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,101,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah53 View Post
My husband is very handy, does our remodeling, even built our first house with the help of his brothers. Electrical was the only inspection required, but times here in PA have changed, now every thing has to be inspected. Anyone know what inspections are required in TN?
My neighbor just built his home a few months ago. He said 2 inspections are required now. One for electrical and one for septic. That's it. You can build your home anyway you want but he also said changes will be coming soon on inspections and there's talk adding impact fees before too long. This was in Cocke county.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:24 PM

62 posts, read 312,237 times
We are looking into building a modular home. Excell homes are very nice and the price quoted was around $75/Sq.Ft. That was better then the other quotes we got.

We also wondered if by telling people we want to build in Tellico Village if they were quoting us more because it is considered an affluent neighborhood. I hope that isn't the case because we would not consider ourselves affluent at all. Might stop telling people that is where we are moving.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:15 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,308,011 times
Default Inspections

In some counties all you need are electrical and septic. In Knox County (and several others), there are FULL inspections, since they have Building Departments and staff.

A lot of people view building codes as the enemy, or some sort of "force" to keep you from having free will. Building codes were developed to make homes SAFE. What a lot of people don't realize is the codes are the MINIMUM STANDARD for construction, not the maximum.

The trouble comes when people build homes that don't even meet the code. I can't tell you how many times I have heard comments like: "Well that's the way my Daddy always did it", or "That ought to be good enough" (that comment is usually followed by a hard stomping on the wood to verify just how strong that structure is).

I have seen homes (in areas that don't have inspections) that had decks that were so unstable, I didn't want to walk on them or under them. I have also seen many homes where the carpenter did not have a clue about the fundamentals of "load path" or how the structural members are supposed to support each other (to hold things up).

Sorry for the thread drift, I just feel that codes are an important.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:24 AM

1,093 posts, read 471,600 times
Barking Spider,

Codes are important in that they protect people. I have seen some of the shoddy building you describe. I always worry about the unsuspecting buyer who can't see what's behind the walls etc. nor can house inspectors.

Like I said my husband is very handy, but worries that he doesn't know the code requirements, therefore he feels he has an easy out for projects I would like him to do.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:06 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,308,011 times
If only they still sold those x-ray glasses at Sears!!

I will have to remember that one (your husband's excuse), I have always used, "I need another tool to do THAT job".

There is a basic part of the code that a lot of people do not understand. Since the code can not cover every single part of a house, they have a catch-all that covers a lot of stuff.

ANYTHING that is installed in a house, MUST be installed according to the manf. specifications. The code defers to the manufacturer.

For instance, most of the pull down ladders I see have been installed improperly. The "code" does not cover the installation specifically. Most of the ladder manufacturers specify that the ladder be attached to the framing with 16d (16 penny) nails, or 1/4" lag screws. Two at each end, three on each side, and one thru each of the four brackets. The most common thing I see, is the ladder is held up with maybe 4 drywall screws.

Some ladders even have the installation instructions printed on the ladder, WITH A PICTURE TOO!.

So if you are installing something in the house, if you follow the written instructions, you will probably be OK

Old 07-27-2015, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 951 times
I would to find a good builder in Knoxville TN and how much cost to build my own house? 2300-2700 sft 3b/ 2 baths with fence and extra big studio (20x20) if I buy my own land. Thank you in advance. Elena
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville