Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 01:20 PM
AGA AGA started this thread

729 posts, read 2,720,564 times

Advertisements

Got a ticket for speeding in a school zone. Looked up the school zone hours and referenced it with the time on ticket. (I never saw a indication I was in a school zone, like a flashing light)
so....As I can determine, the school zone light would have been extinguished at 3:25 and my ticket has a time of 3:33.
Any suggestions on how I could go about getting this looked at without having to come back to town?

And btw, I was going 35, which is the appropriate speed in that area for a non school zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 04:23 PM

2,132 posts, read 6,883,274 times
You'll have to show up in order to fight it. If you win maybe you can get your travel fees back in small claims court. Perhaps the only interesting info I found online is this:

I heard of a way to at least get out without points on your license. If the ticket is $161, make out a check for $165 or something other than $161. The police will collect their money and send you a check for the remaining balance or extra. When you receive that check, rip it up, do not cash/deposit it. Points are only assessed when all financial transactions go through and with you never cashing that check transactions are not final, but they are happy because they got their money. I have never tried it, but heard it works from a magazine.

Let us know if you need any phone numbers. I don't see why you can't call the police dept and ask them about it.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,619,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
You'll have to show up in order to fight it. If you win maybe you can get your travel fees back in small claims court. Perhaps the only interesting info I found online is this:

I heard of a way to at least get out without points on your license. If the ticket is $161, make out a check for $165 or something other than $161. The police will collect their money and send you a check for the remaining balance or extra. When you receive that check, rip it up, do not cash/deposit it. Points are only assessed when all financial transactions go through and with you never cashing that check transactions are not final, but they are happy because they got their money. I have never tried it, but heard it works from a magazine.

Let us know if you need any phone numbers. I don't see why you can't call the police dept and ask them about it.
Baloney on not getting points and on getting your travel fees back in small claims court. Where are you going to get that from? The city of Knoxville? The county? Yeah, like the municipalities pay people that have to travel to fight a ticket. Not in my world, at least.

Can you actually picture a judge siding with the aggrieved speeder and against the municipality that employs him?

And the points thing is so much malarkey. It's the internet. Don't believe everything you read. Someone always "heard" something but no link, of course.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:34 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,874,638 times
Hik is right it is bogus.... and I have heard it more than once.

snopes.com: Overpaying Traffic Tickets

It originated in Australia apparently....

To the OP I'm sorry but have no ideas for you to prove your innocence.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:34 AM

712 posts, read 1,499,513 times
Could it be that you were caught speeding during the time period, but the ticket wasnt actually written until he got out of his car, talked to you, etc. That process might have taken a few minutes...

That one is a bit picky for the officer, but it would take more effort to fight it than it is worth, and you will probably lose

Old 09-07-2010, 09:56 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,070,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
And the points thing is so much malarkey. It's the internet. Don't believe everything you read. Someone always "heard" something but no link, of course.
Are you telling us that if we all avoid filling up our cars on a certain day, gas won't really go back down to $1/gallon???

Old 09-07-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Are you telling us that if we all avoid filling up our cars on a certain day, gas won't really go back down to $1/gallon???
Yepper.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 PM

749 posts, read 1,798,548 times
Over paying the traffic ticket DOES work. It did for me several years ago. It still doesn't show up. Now each state may be different; but it did work for me. And snopes is not alway correct.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
Over paying the traffic ticket DOES work. It did for me several years ago. It still doesn't show up. Now each state may be different; but it did work for me. And snopes is not alway correct.
Traffic Ticket Urban Legends (http://www.edmunds.com/advice/youngdrivers/articles/125550/article.html - broken link)

Speeding Ticket | Speed Safe

Keeping Speeding Tickets Off Your Record

Sounds plausible, but not true. In fact, the National Motorist Association has not been able to find any place that this works. Don't fall for it.

And on and on and on...

Old 09-09-2010, 08:23 AM

863 posts, read 3,009,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
I'd guess they've closed that loophole by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville