Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:02 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,253,258 times

Advertisements

Ex-cuuuse me, Hik. I said it on the 31st of July. You didn't mention it until the second of August.
I'll share it with ya, though. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,045 times
I would recommend Johnson County, TN, which encompasses Butler and Laurel Bloomery (two communities that were mentioned by other people replying to your request), and of which Mountain City, a quaint little town, is the 'county seat'. Mountain City is only a 35 minutes from Historic Abingdon, Va., and approximately 30 minutes from Boone, North Carolina. Johnson County is the most 'northeast county' in TN, and I can assure you that the minute you see its natural beauty, you will want to stay, just ask half of this area's residents, who happen to hail from across the United States, but who moved here once they experienced this area. Of Course I may be biased, as I live in Mountain City, but I am originally from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, came to visit a relative in this area, went back home, packed up my two boys, sold my house, and moved here. This county is an economically distressed county (per the State of TN), but with its proximity to other beautiful but over-crowded areas (namely Boone, North Carolina), the future looks good for sustainable economic growth. Hope this helps! Karla the ex-coonass

Old 11-12-2010, 07:31 PM

688 posts, read 1,491,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellygirl67 View Post
We are looking at the possibility of building a summer cabin in the East TN mountains, but also want to be within close proximity (10-20 min.) of a small downtown, good grocery store, and home goods store (Target, Lowes, etc.) I prefer the quaint renovated downtowns with coffee shops, sidewalk cafes, bookstore, boutiques, and local restaurants. Boone and Asheville would probably work, but I want to live in Tennessee. We would like to build a cabin in the mountains near a beautiful river or lake (for fishing, canoeing/kayaking) and hiking trails. We are educated and outdoorsy in 40's-50's and very active. We lived in Franklin, Brentwood, and Nashville and if you are familiar with those areas, something like downtown Franklin or Hillsborough Village would be nice. A "walkable" quaint downtown with tasteful local flavor, near breathtaking scenery in the mountains. Asking too much?! I know... but suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Except for being a county away from lake (though there is some nice whitewater there) Erwin in Unicoi County seems to fit your bill. Erwin is less that 20 miles south of Johnson City (which has malls, good eating places and entertainment, and even occaisional big name concerts, level 1 trauma center which hopefully you won't need and ETSU university with medical school, etc.), but is EXTREMELY rural in itself, and is only 45 minutes or so from Asheville, N.C., and a ski resort (used to be Wolf Laurel, maybe names has changed) only 20 or miles south of Erwin near Mars Hill, N.C. on 1-26 on way to Asheville.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,970 times
Default I have several in mind:

Norris, Gatlinburg, Cumberland Gap, Rogersville, Townsend, Etowah, the Tri Cities area, Bristol, all are charming. Some smaller than others (like Cumberland Gap but you would have to go to KY for the big shopping, but it is charming indeed)

Old 11-20-2010, 11:57 PM

66 posts, read 145,590 times
I would have to agree with Maryville. Plus it has easy access to the most beautiful area of the Smokies in my opinion, Townsend and Wears Valley.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:55 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,606,950 times
I'm curious where the OP wound up. or still looking?

Old 06-13-2015, 07:40 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,318,644 times
Based on her past posts, it looks like she gave up on TN and has moved on to SW Florida.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Based on her past posts, it looks like she gave up on TN and has moved on to SW Florida.
Say it ain't so!!

She'll be back.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:39 PM

41 posts, read 212,624 times
Default Update for Ellygirl67

Anyway, we are finally able to actually go forward with a move as my husband is retiring in a few months. No, we didn't move to SW Florida, although we are still looking in that area also. But we are also still looking at east Tennessee. My son graduated from UT and is now at UT Law and he wants to stay in the Knoxville area. As for the towns... We continued to visit and I haven't found anything perfect, but I'm leaning towards Dandridge. It has a small little town that is cute, plus we could live on the lake with a view of the mountains, and it's not too far from downtown Knoxville which is kinda cute itself. We are probably going to live in the area for a few months while traveling around and visiting other nearby areas. I love Watauga Lake and it's not too far from Boone, but it would be quite a drive to get to anything from there. Johnson City does have some pretty areas and Maryville will be a consideration also. We are planning on looking more when we get there in April 2016! Thanks for all the suggestions and feel free to give more! We'll be there soon!

Last edited by Beretta; 11-09-2015 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: Merged into your old account ;-)

Old 11-05-2015, 08:27 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,606,950 times
Dandridge is a very cute little town. I like that it has more than one commercial street. It seems that you could make a nice little "figure 8" stroll of the mini downtown area.

Plus it's such a convenient location. Not far from Knoxville or even a day trip to Asheville or Hot Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville