Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 AM

284 posts, read 759,501 times

Advertisements

Well, being that it's Eastman producing the smell in K-port, as a fact, it is pertinent. Only a portion of the blame can lie with city officials, regarding downtown development in East TN. The masses seem more interested in downtown festivals and car shows, and not long-term development of property, or catering to businesses that make the jump. The Tri-Cities is more about chain restaurants and big box stores. Many small towns/cities in Western NC have been quite successful in rejuvenating their downtown areas, and it's not just because of tourists, and big money retirees. One fault lies with the horrible "urban renewal" concept of the 70s - rather than put new life into historical areas, it robbed them of all their uniqueness, with misguided traffic and architectural configurations, often defacing buildings, and turning downtowns into "malls". This trend was particularly popular in East TN, for some reason. These days, JC developers keep trying for downtown living spaces, but their concept of "lofts" is bizarre. They look more like cheap apartments, that "fight" the architecture of the structure. I actually prefer the downtown of K-port, although JC has a nice vista. Bristol, well, I just don't know. It has potential that rarely, if never, seems realized. It's all about that @#*# raceway, which "does not a city make".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,627,534 times
Have you been to downtown Bristol recently? It seems to be improving at light speed. Three years ago State St was a blight. Now it is the diamond in Bristol's rough.

This past month I've been to State St on a Monday and a Tuesday. Both evenings the street was crowded. This past Tuesday, I had to park at the (new) library because of all that was happening.

BTW, we ate at Macados (Mak a dooz), which was excellent.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:31 AM

426 posts, read 1,273,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrobrob View Post
My wife works for a bank with many locations in the area. We will wait until a job opens in the area we decide on. We would love to find an area of historic homes that is also a good neighborhood. Any suggestions?
I think this is a good plan. Transfering is probably a best option as banking in the Tri-Cities (as would be A LOT of the work in the TRI) is based largely on "who you know" and local connections, etc. Many people mysteriously "pop up" as VPs and Branch managers, etc. without even the slightest bit of banking experience--those jobs never seem to be advertised either. Of course, I don't know specifically what her job is, so maybe things would be different for her. Teller jobs are always there (and seem to mostly be filled by women--ugh) if you want to work for minimum wage/slightly above. So some "back door" route into the Tri-Cities banking industry is probably wise.

If you do end up looking in Bristol TN, you might look at the area near Fairmount Elementary School. Those streets are named after trees, too (Poplar, Cypress, Spruce, etc.) crossed by avenues named after states (Virginia, Carolina, Tennessee, etc.). You're probably going to need to go with a serious fixer-upper in that <100K price range which will probably be good given your line of work. Homes on/near Holston Avenue and Vance Drive are probably going to be higher than your price range. Even smaller homes on those two streets are commonly purchased/owned by the locals with means to let their children live in. Additionally, some of those homes (especially the pricey ones) rarely come on the market. Rather, they are sold directly to friends and colleagues.

For Bristol, VA--I suspect that many of the homes around Euclid Avenue (Lawrence, Arlington, Park Street, etc.) would be out of your price range. You might find a fixer upper on the less desireable ends of these streets (closer to Commonwealth Avenue) but gets exceedingly nicer as you move closer to Virginia HS and Virginia Middle School (the Spring Garden area of Bristol, VA). Maybe something in/around Solar Street for a historic home but you'll have to look at bit closer at the surrounding neighborhoods as you get closer to downtown and Virginia Intermont College.

Last edited by gsp4ever; 07-16-2009 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 02:02 PM

I've driven through downtown Bristol, but haven't noticed anything recently. Guess it was at the wrong time of day. The last time I gave it a shot was in December, and there was no life. Are these summer "events"?

And I agree about the "it's whom you know" description, regarding jobs in the Tri-Cities. I think people around here are scared of "outsiders," unless forced upon them.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 PM

295 posts, read 750,872 times
State St. in Bristol is looking pretty good compared to when I went through there a few years ago, but all three cities have a long way to go yet downtown but at least Bristol and Kingsport are showing some real momentum which should encourage more people to take the risk/plunge. JC doesn't seem to have anything new in the two years I've been here but certainly has the potential.
Who you know is important anywhere other than the largest cities. If you belonged to any organizations wherever you are moving from you want to get involved with them quickly when you relocate here or join a church right away. Nothing good is advertised in the paper/internet. Meet and speak to as many people as you can as soon as you can. Network, but at least one of you should have something lined up for when you move here. I don't think anyone is hiring people anywhere these days, especially down here.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times
Downtown JC has had a little growth. The Blue Moon Dinner Theater has opened up, and the Tipton Street Project is done (?) or is coming along near completion. Tipton St Pub is great. I suggest you check it out.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:53 PM

WHOM you know is important, anywhere. It IS, indeed, very strange here. I finally have an interview next week, but I had to go over heads to corporate, out of town, to set it up.

Tipton Street has dragged on forever, and it's only one block.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:18 AM

426 posts, read 1,273,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshin View Post
WHOM you know is important, anywhere. It IS, indeed, very strange here.
Good luck with your interview. Hopefully, something will work out. I think the good economic opportunities have traditionally been so limited here that people *had* to pull strings to make things work for their children and grandchildren. Self preservation of sorts.

My experience is largely with Bristol, but in the "good ol' days" of Raytheon, Westinghouse, United Telephone, etc. there were more opportunities for transplants, though some of those jobs were specialized (engineering and the like) Growing up, most of my friends were not natives of Bristol. It's amazing how few of those people (or their parents) still live in Bristol.

There is a lot of disparity in the area. Some people are living very well (with a lot of success) but the masses are largely the working poor and underclass.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:10 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshin View Post
WHOM you know is important, anywhere. It IS, indeed, very strange here. I finally have an interview next week, but I had to go over heads to corporate, out of town, to set it up.

Tipton Street has dragged on forever, and it's only one block.

Thanks for correcting our grammar... again. Maybe if you loosened up a little bit, you could find a job easier? Relax, you're in the South.

And yes, Tipton St has been a slow project. Like I said, "Johnson City has had a little growth."

Old 07-18-2009, 04:03 PM

295 posts, read 750,872 times
I'm not so sure saying; "Whom you know is important..." is actually correcting our grammar. However, I always thought that rule was kind of nebulous:

Grammar Girl :: Who Versus Whom

besides the fact....well...never mind.

Who[m] really gives a s--t?

As my Father used to say, "It's not what I say...it's what I mean."

Last edited by NorthernLights; 07-18-2009 at 04:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol