Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times

Advertisements

Weird how this came up, but this Sunday (assuming weather cooperates) I am hiking to Lost Cove. It's an abandoned town with no road access. It's located on the NC/TN boarder just off of a railroad and the Nolichucky River. Should be interesting; I'll post some pics.

Anyone else been here or heard of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 11:59 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsolitude View Post
Besides caves, any other supposedly haunted areas in the Tri-Cities? I know my boyfriend would love to explore those places.
Here's a pretty comprehensive list:
Tri-Cities Haunted Places

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Weird how this came up, but this Sunday (assuming weather cooperates) I am hiking to Lost Cove. It's an abandoned town with no road access. It's located on the NC/TN boarder just off of a railroad and the Nolichucky River. Should be interesting; I'll post some pics.

I've never been to Lost Cove but am familiar with it. I researched it last year as a possible hiking trip but after seeing some pics and reading about how the structures have been wrecked by vandals, I decided not to go. I bet the hike itself would still be a good one, though. Look forward to seeing your pics!
GoTricities.com > Lost Cove is still a sight to behold (http://www.gotricities.com/content/article.dna?idNumber=5279 - broken link)
Lost Cove near Erwin TN - WhiteBlaze

Very interesting post, Jim37680...thanks for the detailed info.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:05 PM

149 posts, read 411,628 times
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Swingle Hospital yet, good luck getting in, but I've heard if you can it's worth it. I'm not really wanting to risk going to jail though haha

Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post

I've hiked it a few times, this information might be a bit too late but as your hiking up from the railroad tracks the path comes to a Y, stay to the left to get to the town where the buildings are. The path gets pretty steep and looks like a dry creek bed. You really can't miss it as you'll see pot belly stoves and other artifacts on the side of the trail that people have tried to remove over the years.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:01 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
Thanks Rcm, we haven't gone yet as it snowed the day we were going to go. So hopefully we will go in early March.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 5,118 times
Hi I grew up close to those five caves and the Rotherwood Mansion where Joshua Phipps and Rowena Phipps are supposed to roam as ghosts. He lived in the 1860's there. Legend says that he was an evil slave owner. Don't believe all of it. She lived there just prior to that. It is claimed that The Hound of Hell howls on stormy nights. It's not true. I never heard the Hound of Hell howl on stormy nights. The five caves did attract some pot smokers and other undesirables many years ago. I never went but I knew some foks who lived just across the river from them. They told of the goings on in the cave. There were indian relics all over the place years and years ago. Probably all gone now. --Arrowheads, other stuff. The place is nothing but wall to wall business now. New housing developments are there too just above the river. The story of the transfer in ownership is a sad one. History repeats itself. Just like the stories in the Bible.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:07 AM

149 posts, read 411,628 times
I want to hike to Lost Cove but someone told me not to hike up there without a gun. Anyone know if I really need to bring one with me on my adventure, or is this a bunch of bull?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:36 PM

377 posts, read 1,063,122 times
My husband and I just hiked to Lost Cove yesterday. Why did they say you'd need a gun? Maybe if you are by yourself and worried about bears or something. But I don't think there is any danger from humans there. It was an absolutely gorgeous hike of approximately 12 miles. We started at the tracks up the road from Uncle Johnnys Hostel and took that route. A lot of the buildings were destroyed but it was still worth it. Many daffodils were in bloom and we were able to refill our canteen from the fresh spring there. We found some Morel mushrooms. We ate our lunch at the intact house in the back of the cove. It was a worthwhile hike. If you are alone just make sure that someone knows where you are going in case you'd fall, twist ankle or something. Cell phones don't work there- our did not anyway and we have Verizon.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:00 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
My husband and I just hiked to Lost Cove yesterday. Why did they say you'd need a gun? Maybe if you are by yourself and worried about bears or something. But I don't think there is any danger from humans there. It was an absolutely gorgeous hike of approximately 12 miles. We started at the tracks up the road from Uncle Johnnys Hostel and took that route. A lot of the buildings were destroyed but it was still worth it. Many daffodils were in bloom and we were able to refill our canteen from the fresh spring there. We found some Morel mushrooms. We ate our lunch at the intact house in the back of the cove. It was a worthwhile hike. If you are alone just make sure that someone knows where you are going in case you'd fall, twist ankle or something. Cell phones don't work there- our did not anyway and we have Verizon.
I would love to see pictures if you care to share. Thanks for the report.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:28 AM

431 posts, read 1,219,140 times
Default The link is a good one.

Don't confuse Sensabaugh tunnel with Click tunnel. (see link).

The real Sensabaugh tunnel cannot be driven through. It is off the side of the road and you can stop and look at it or walk through it.

The place gives me the creeps !

We have done the Click tunnel thing as teenagers, yes the car started back up, no we didn't hear anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol