Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times

Advertisements

It was on CNN, but I never saw it on FoxNews. It was also all over TV station websites all over the country. I even saw it on TV station sites in Los Angeles and Miami. My uncles in Raleigh and Richmond said it was on the news there as well.

Funny thing about FoxNews... AFAIK, they never mentioned this on the website, or on TV, but they went into detail on a shooting in Arkansas where one person had minor injuries (or so I heard). They also mentioned the shootings in LA. I guess they do not mention news from Tennessee. ??

I just hope this does not deter too many people from moving to Bristol... we all know that Bristol has bad enough of a rep here now as it is, because most newcomers here that are "thinking of moving to the area" always mention Kingsport or Johnson City, but never Bristol. I guess we stink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyM View Post
This kind of thing usually shows up on FOX or CNN. Wonder why it hasn't made the nationals. This is definitely national newsworthy, don't ya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 12:17 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
The shooting in CA was on all our local stations, but not the shooting in Bristol. The only way I heard about it was on this thread. You would think that with Bristol only being 5-6 hours away, this news would have made it to our stations in SC.

It is so sad that these things are happening at such an alarming rate....random shootings, schools shootings, university shootings. We have a lot of sickos in our society, unfortunately. You just aren't safe anywhere, anymore!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:13 PM

It is strange. I guess Tennessee news is not as important as California news. I mean 5 people died in one incident within a couple of hours and it was not mentioned on FoxNews. I did visit some local TV station websites from across the country and did see it on most of them on a national level- meaning they all said the same thing. I did see it mentioned on both Knoxville stations however and a fairly large write-up about from a TV station in southern WV.

I agree it is getting bad. Seems like this week, it was a bad and strange week in Bristol. The next morning I was getting out of my car at the parking lot at work when five Bristol VA police cars came roaring through the parking lot with lights and sirens. They slid in the end of the lot, jumped out and was apparently chasing someone that had gotten out of control inside of one of the markets. Before all was said and done, eight patrol cars were outside! I am not sure what all that man had done! Then I think it was that evening when there was a shooting in Sullivan County.

Then Sunday morning that tragedy in Bristol TN happened when those teenagers in that truck ran into a home and killed a woman inside. The home burst into flames (it had gas heat) and the woman inside who was apparently ill with the flu, tragically perished. The teenagers in the truck escaped before the fire began. They did not even find her body until they pulled the truck out a few hours later and found her under it. How horrifying. Thank God her 3 year old daughter was not at home at the time of the crash! This happened not too far from where I live and in my old "stomping grounds" as they say. I lived in the area during my childhood. I knew the house well and even as a kid, I knew that home was in a bad location right on that curve like that. I just hate that since it was finally hit that it caused that death of that woman. I bet she never even knew what hit her. I hope she died instantly. It would be horrible to think she laid there, trapped under that truck with the house on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
The shooting in CA was on all our local stations, but not the shooting in Bristol. The only way I heard about it was on this thread. You would think that with Bristol only being 5-6 hours away, this news would have made it to our stations in SC.

It is so sad that these things are happening at such an alarming rate....random shootings, schools shootings, university shootings. We have a lot of sickos in our society, unfortunately. You just aren't safe anywhere, anymore!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:21 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
That poor woman! It goes to show, that we never know when it's our time.... I think that strange things are happening all over lately. I teach school, and just within our faculty alone, 3 have been diagnosed with cancer within the last few months and 2 have been the victims of crime (very nice school in a very nice area). Charleston has had a lot of crime lately...more than usual. Yesterday morning, police found a baby in an apartment (during a raid) with white stuff around its little mouth. Upon closer inspection, they found he/she had ingested crack cocaine!!! The baby is now in critical condition in the hospital and both "parents" (a term I use loosely) are in jail on child abuse and endangerment charges among others. What is this world coming to?

My first cousin is a police sergeant in Bristol, so I'll ask him if he knows what happened the other day. He said that crime is on the upswing now, mostly domestic violence and drugs.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:48 PM

851 posts, read 2,458,537 times
That is really sad. Like you said why can't they just kill themselves and leave everyone else alone. We had the same kind of incident here in West Palm Beach, Florida at Wendy's. A man shot 6 people and then killed himself. A firefighter was killed as well. The firefighter, his wilfe and little boy had bought lunch and walked out, the firefighter realized that his son didn't get his toy in the Happy meal so his family went to the car and he went inside to get the toy. The gunmen shoot him point blank in the back, the poor guy never even seen him. He has 5 kids (boys) youngest 4yrs old. The rest of the people will survive their injuries.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:46 PM

OMG, how horrible. Whats going through peoples minds?! It boggles my mind. I hope the baby recovers. Thats also bad news about the cancer diagnosis there. Its a scary thing.

My first cousins husband has been on the BRTN police force since the late 1980s. I think he is a detective now. We do not see them much these days.

Yeah, that was horrible about that woman and there is more to the story I have heard... the 15 year old went to school the next day she came to school and went up to the deceased womans daughter and said, "so what, I killed your mother"! How horrible. Its sad really.

Then there was this story where that tree fell on that home in Walland, TN and killed that woman... the story has been posted here elsewhere. Here is the link to that...
Fallen tree kills woman : Local News : Knoxville News Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Yesterday morning, police found a baby in an apartment (during a raid) with white stuff around its little mouth. Upon closer inspection, they found he/she had ingested crack cocaine!!! The baby is now in critical condition in the hospital and both "parents" (a term I use loosely) are in jail on child abuse and endangerment charges among others. What is this world coming to?

My first cousin is a police sergeant in Bristol, so I'll ask him if he knows what happened the other day. He said that crime is on the upswing now, mostly domestic violence and drugs.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 PM

Sad story. It sad when you cannot even to to a FF restaurant to get dinner without being shot. Now those poor kids are without a dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
That is really sad. Like you said why can't they just kill themselves and leave everyone else alone. We had the same kind of incident here in West Palm Beach, Florida at Wendy's. A man shot 6 people and then killed himself. A firefighter was killed as well. The firefighter, his wilfe and little boy had bought lunch and walked out, the firefighter realized that his son didn't get his toy in the Happy meal so his family went to the car and he went inside to get the toy. The gunmen shoot him point blank in the back, the poor guy never even seen him. He has 5 kids (boys) youngest 4yrs old. The rest of the people will survive their injuries.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:04 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
It's not just Bristol, a man walked into the BP gas station in Gray yesterday (where his girlfriend works) and shot himself. Not anyone else, but still.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,640 times
Signs of the times. Scary.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:06 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Didn't hear about that mouse, but I was in Sevier all day. Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol