Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM

239 posts, read 699,211 times

Advertisements

I have seen several discussions on healthcare on this board, so I was hoping someone would have some information for me. For the last 5 years, we have had BCBST - Network P insurance. I am now trying to sign up for next year and one of the options is Network S. Network S is cheaper and I notice it says it does not include as many providers. I have called all of our local providers (Johnson City area) and they say they are members for both Network P and S. Is there any drawback to going with Network S?

My two main concerns are:

1. If we are traveling and have to go to the emergency room (yes, this has happened a couple times in the last 10 years or so) would we have to worry about not being covered by Network S?

2. I heard that Network S reimburses at a lower rate, so would I end up paying out of pocket more?

Finally, I see many of the plans are compatible with Health Savings Accounts. This looks like the best way to go to me as my deductible can be paid with pretax dollars, and also, the deductible is not any more than many of the other plans (non-HSA) I am comparing. Any experience with the HSA?

Thank you all so much for any advice...this is so complex, and I don't want to make the wrong decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 10:07 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
I have a $7k HSA family deductible with BCBSTN on the S Network. I added maternity coverage and dental. This plan has worked well for me, but I have not had to use it out of the area. If I found myself in that situation I would call BCBS and ask them where I need to go.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:55 PM

239 posts, read 699,211 times
Default Thank You

Thank you for the information...that is the plan we have been looking at. I guess if we are out of town and it is a true emergency, we won't be concerned about in or out of network. We have had the opportunity to use the emergency room while on vacation....not fun...but at least I knew it as covered. I think I might just check out areas before we travel. It looks like most of the doctors in the Tri-Cities are in Network S, but in the larger cities only a certain percentage area. Looking at Nashville, it looked like the largest hospitals took both Network P and S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol