Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2006, 04:25 AM

Location: Right now I'm living in Saarbrueken in Germany...but in a few days I'll move to Somerset,Kentucky..
1 posts, read 5,427 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

In a few days I'll move to Somerset,KY and I'll live with a host family....actually I'm from Germany but I've always wanted to go to the USA and now..I'll spend a whole year there !
The problem's just...I dunno anything about the place I'll go to!

So...is there anybody who can tell me something about Somerset??!

Thx a lot!

Sanja
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,357 times
Default You won't be alone.

Hello Sanja,
How brave you are to leave your home in Germany and come to an unknown place in the U.S. I live here in Kentucky and I am interested in your post because you are a foreign exchange student. I am a mom to 2 children and we have had experience with the foreign exchange agencies. My number one concern is for your safety and well-being. What I do want you to know is that if there are any problems you are having with your host family and/or your agency representative, you can always contact the Committee for Safety of Foreign Exchange Students at Committee for Safety of Foreign Exchange Students. We also have a toll free number listed on our website. I think that many students who come here are placed with good families. However, there have been too many instances right here in Kentucky where students have been placed in homes where they are treated poorly and even abused and their representatives threatened to send them home if they complained. CSFES has helped many students across the U.S. over the years, including students right here in Kentucky. If you ever need our help, please know we'll be there for you. Otherwise, I hope you have a wonderful year in America. I'd love to keep in touch with you to hear how you're doing. Take care and greatest of luck to you.

Jan

Old 08-27-2007, 04:23 AM

190 posts, read 812,987 times
Default Somerset

This is a really nice small town, situated right on Lake Cumberland. There's quite a bit of "everyday" shopping (KMart, WalMart, Roses, mall) and very close to Tennessee and some specialty shops. There's plenty of restaurants, etc. as well. For fun, we've found plenty to do. There's movies, the lake, bowling, the lake, shops and flea markets, the lake, parties at a certain large marina, and did I mention the lake? Thru the summer, the little town of Tatesville (connects Somerset to Burnside Island) shuts down once a month and has a "street party" with live music, dancing in the streets, a car show, etc. It's kind of like a mini-festival.

Somerset Kentucky City Guide - SomersetKy / Somerset,Kentucky / Lake Cumberland
Somerset, Kentucky and Pulaski County
Lake Cumberland
lakecumberland.com - The Lake Cumberland Directory

If you were wanting a peaceful, scenic, laid-back, beautiful little town, you are going to be tickled pink! We've had a cabin on the lake for several years now, and my hubby's family has owned property there since 1974!
Oh, and check out Sloan's Valley cave. They do tours several times a year, and I hear it is really something to see!

All the best,
~joanna~

Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,836,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanja View Post
Hey everyone!

In a few days I'll move to Somerset,KY and I'll live with a host family....actually I'm from Germany but I've always wanted to go to the USA and now..I'll spend a whole year there !

Thx a lot!

Sanja
Somerset, KY is a hub for foreign exchange students. People will treat you well and you will see how NICE southern people are and you will enjoy it. It IS a small town, I have lived there, but you will like it! There are enough things to do and shop at, so you will not feel like you live "in the sticks". Trust me, unless you hate small towns, you will emjoy Somerset a lot. It is very safe too, unless you decide to hang out with the dope kids (which there are not too many of them in that area).

Welcome to the USA!! Have for for the year! Oh and yeah and Southwestern High School is THE best in the area. Try to go there, if your host parents live in that area. VERY nice public school.

Nirvana

Old 10-03-2007, 08:43 AM

241 posts, read 1,336,944 times
Somerset has about 11,000 residents, so I would call it fair sized rather than small (it's the largest town in the region around Lake Cumberland). As others have mentioned, you'll have access to all the normal kinds of entertainment you'd find in an American city.

The Lake is the big attraction in the area, so you'll see a lot of tourists (especially in Summer). Although the water level is currently down by around 30-40 feet to allow repairs to the dam that holds the lake, it is still huge (it has more than 1600 km of coastline).

From Somerset, you're reasonably close to many other attractions, including Cumberland Gap National Park, Cumberland Falls, and Big South Fork National Recreational area, which has a spectacular gorge and other geological features (you can see a video about it here).

Hope this info. helps.

P.S. - Wo wohnst du in Deutschland? Ich habe verwandten in Frankfurt und Muenchen (meine Mutter ist in Deutschland geboren).

Old 02-15-2008, 10:28 PM

90 posts, read 347,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanja View Post
Hey everyone!

Thx a lot!

Sanja
Hey Sanja- Welcome to the USA and to my little unique town of Somerset. There have been several foreign exchange students to live in Somerset. The Schools, churches, and the people with their southern hospitality will make you feel right at home. I was born and raised there and at the present time I am in British Columbia, Canada. Im waiting for my Canadian husband to get his Visa, so we can move back to Somerset. It will certainly be different for him as it has been for me here in Canada. In fact, my cousin Allison, the owner of the Bed and Breakfast on Main street, has a good friend from Germany. When Allison was in High school, her parents hosted the girl from Germany. Hope you enjoy Somerset.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,820,033 times
Default No-no

Go east to London, KY, it's much better and friendlier.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,090 times
Hi every One My name is Jack Tuynman .I will be moveing to Summerset for some time ;In that time i will be looking for to set up a GOOD computer Buisness: as to marry and support my loved one who is liveing there>Is there much call for REAL good Tech guy who will not charge for call out and only charge for ACTUAL repairs.This is how i built a large company in the U/K and will be hopeing the same will happen in Summerset.Kentucky...I am FULLY QUALIFIED in ALL electronics and computing:and Microwave Tech: All so much in to the repair of new lcd tv repairs.Which Many so called eng are a bit hesatant about doing and priceing to high.Well this is my intentions and i will see you all soon >jacktuynman@btinternet.com : U/K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky