Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 02:55 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,157,120 times

Advertisements

Hello! Well after lots of trips and now over a year of research we had narrowed down our search to east of Louisville in Oldham County. But now do to this economy and my job opportunities shrinking, I need to give my family some options. So I am looking at both Evansville and Owensboro now too. We are looking for a nice suburb of a decent city with low crime and economic opportunity. Can you recommend the best places to live nearby either city that would put you close to civilization yet still give you the country feel that we so like. We prefer hilly terrain compared to flat, and prefer being near a forest or at least lots of trees! We will be looking for a house with at least a 1/2 acre in the $180,000-$225,000 zone. Top priority is local excellent public school system for elementary through high school! You know the usual family requirements. Any advice you can give in advance will be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 03:19 PM

145 posts, read 518,860 times
Not to be negative but do yourself and your family a huge favor and don't think about owensboro or evansville anymore. Stick with Oldham county. I don't live in any of these spots so I have no horse in the race. Owensboro and Evansville are industrial towns and have a midwestern factory town vibe to them. You can find land you are looking for but If you live in Owensboro then you are pretty much isolated from a lot of things. Evansville is in Indiana and is bigger and offers more but it is in Indiana and you can do better..ha. Oldham county is beautiful has great schools and is close to louisville so you can have the benefits of a big city without the downside of one. I live in Lexington so as I mentioned before I don't have any ties to any one of these spots but have been to all three plenty of times. Owensboro is kind of depressing and seems like a dying town afraid to change with the times and Evansville while having more to do just isn't that great.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:27 PM

22 posts, read 80,881 times
Considering schools, there is no doubt that Owensboro has better public schools. They are one of top in the state of Kentucky behind Oldham County. I am from Owensboro and now live in Richmond, but I do not think that I would want to go back. But I do not like Richmond either so I am considering Bowling Green.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:38 AM

486 posts, read 1,898,256 times
I've spent loads of time in Evansville and it basically is one of those industrial cities from years ago that was at one time booming but since many jobs have been lost, there are numerous warehouses and buildings that sit abandoned. The east side and north side of Evansville are great, but "central Evansville" (ie- the old city) is a complete dump. Most new construction is on the east side (Eastland Mall, Evansville Pavillion, etc). Vanderburgh County schools are decent. My mom attended North High there and from my understanding, Reitz, Memorial, and North High are all good public schools. Evansville itself is flat except right around Mt. Auburn Road where the television broadcast centers are. If you want "hilly" and in Indiana, go for Warrick County (Newburgh or Boonville), Posey County (Poseyville), or Monroe County (Bloomington).

Old 11-15-2008, 03:14 PM

345 posts, read 1,278,171 times
owensboro! I have never heard anyone be proud to be from indiana

Old 11-15-2008, 03:54 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,492,699 times
If your of German ancestry you'd like Evansville better.

If your of Celtic/ English ancestry you'd like Owensboro better.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:20 PM

486 posts, read 1,898,256 times
I'd take Evansville over Owensboro anyday. Oh and you've never heard of a proud Hoosier? You're seeing one now

Old 11-16-2008, 03:35 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,756,620 times
I have to agree.....I think yiou are making a huge mistake considering Owensboro/Evansville. Neither is an attractive place and both are SUBSTANTIALLY smaller than Louisville with a much more run down vibe. If you want alternatives to Louisville in this area, I would look at Nashville. I still like Louisville better though.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:34 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,092,380 times
If you are wanting something smaller how about places like Elizabthetown(E-town) or Bowling Green?

Old 11-17-2008, 08:53 AM

8,983 posts, read 17,305,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbanks101 View Post
owensboro! I have never heard anyone be proud to be from indiana
You must not know many people from Indiana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky