Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,089 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move in a few months in order to live closer to family. I currently live in Charleston, WV and I like it alright, but I often wish there was more to do. Right now I am mostly considering Louisville, Owensboro, and Evansville as well. I am a 30 year old single woman and I will be living alone. I work in the autism field and have been making contacts in these areas already. I like to shop and get out and try new things. I am not into a partying lifestyle, however. What I'm looking for is an area that has good shopping (at least decent), plenty to do, cost of living is reasonable, low crime rate, people are friendly, and it's fairly easy to make new friends. Right now I'm mostly drawn to Louisville b/c I think there will be more there. Any information is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 08:02 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,017,786 times
As for as "things to do", Evansville would be equivalent to what you have in Charleston. Owensboro a downgrade, Louisville an upgrade.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:48 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,327,117 times
For all its faults, Jefferson County Public Schools does some of the best work in special education found anywhere. I have lived in Louisville, Henderson (near Evansville), and just south of Owensboro. BLS, pretty much hit the nail on the head. I would have to lean towards Louisville. Oldham County is a great bedroom community for Louisville and meets many of your living standards, with the options to work and shop "in town"

Old 01-16-2011, 12:43 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,577,715 times
I agree with what they said about Evansville. I lived in the area for almost 30 years. Henderson is almost a suburb of Evansville, which is more or less the "hub" for the tri-state (Ill, Ind, Ky) area. Most of our shopping trips were spent on Green River Road in Evansville. 2 malls and several shopping centers and plenty of places to eat

Old 01-19-2011, 12:33 PM

7,074 posts, read 16,772,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl30 View Post
I am planning a move in a few months in order to live closer to family. I currently live in Charleston, WV and I like it alright, but I often wish there was more to do. Right now I am mostly considering Louisville, Owensboro, and Evansville as well. I am a 30 year old single woman and I will be living alone. I work in the autism field and have been making contacts in these areas already. I like to shop and get out and try new things. I am not into a partying lifestyle, however. What I'm looking for is an area that has good shopping (at least decent), plenty to do, cost of living is reasonable, low crime rate, people are friendly, and it's fairly easy to make new friends. Right now I'm mostly drawn to Louisville b/c I think there will be more there. Any information is appreciated!
These cities arent even in the same league. Owensboro does not have much to offer. Charleston, although slightly smaller than Evansville, is far more cultured. Louisville is twice as big as Charleston, Evansville, and Owensboro combined. Based on your age and needs the only choice is Louisville of the three. That said, I would also look at other cities similar in size to Louisville, like say, Nashville. Let us know if you have more questions on Louisville.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:13 PM

169 posts, read 373,642 times
What BLS and STX said: Louisville is the clear-cut choice among the three you mentioned.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:22 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,069,486 times
Having been to Evansville many times, I would have to say that I would never trade living in the Louisville area for Evansville. As Stx said - not even in the same league. There are so many things to do in Louisville, wonderful independently owned restaurants, a great airport, very nice shopping and cultural activities, lots of itneresting historic neighborhoods. What part of Louisville interests you?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 PM

7 posts, read 14,889 times
I grew up and attended college in Evansville. Traveled to different cities looking for the "right fit" following college. Louisville won, hands down. Great mix of cultures and diversity, more so than other surrounding cities including Evansville and Owensboro. The recent revival of the downtown area is exciting and reaffirms my decision of making Louisville my home.

I moved to Louisville in 2006 and didn't have a tough time finding a job (work in accounting/finance). The Louisville public school system is very large, so I'd imagine you would have opportunities.

Crime doesn't seem too much of an issue in Louisville. Problem areas exist in every city, including Louisville, but seems to be concentrated to particular areas.

I've made more friends in Louisville than in Evansville. People here are very nice and friendly.

Real estate market was rated 2nd best in the U.S. by Fortune in 2009 so prices are very stable.

Evansville is a nice city for families, but is very sleepy. Friends from Evansville often visit Louisville for entertainment. Owensboro is more sleepy than Evansville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky