Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 06:56 PM

26 posts, read 139,483 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am seriously considering buying land to build our retirement home in E0Town, Ky and I need your informed advise about the following:
1) What areas are considered desirable?
2) How much should I reasonably expect to pay per acre?
3) How are the residents attitude towards 'minorities' (I am one)?
4) What are the 'pros' and 'cons' for the area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 04:33 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,129 times
Default Elizabethtown!!!

First - Welcome!

I can tell you - attitudes toward minorities are the same as anyone else - we welcome you with open arms. Seriously. There may be undertones I am not aware of - but I have yet to hear of anything negative about this issue from E-town.

To me - having lived in the area all my life - there are no cons - other than the need to drive to Louisville or Lexington if you are flying out for vacation. E-town is centrally located to each. And, honestly, I cannot think of an area I would caution you about - except maybe around the mall or I-65 where traffic can get a little heavey at times. The shopping choices have grown considerably, with everything form Sears, J.C. Penny, Walmart, Target, Bed bBath Beyond, Barnes and Noble Books, Pier One - lots and lots of things. Many little shops in the town square area - and you MUST visit 'Back Home' a restaurant and antique store all in one.

Try the following sites - and you should find what you are looking for:
http://www.elizabethtownky.org/home.shtml
http://www.etownchamber.org/

I believe these sites should get you on the road. So happy to have you join us! Good luck on the move, an I really do not think you will be disappointed.
Going over there myself today to check out a new little store with lots of antiques and 'fun things' !

KimmieyKY

Old 02-07-2007, 09:57 AM

Default First - Welcome Reply

Hi kimmieyky,

Thanks for such a warm welcome! I appreciate it and let me say I am very impressed with the friendliness of the people in the KY forum. I am from CA and we have friends in E-Town that we visited last Aug. Our purpose for that visit was to assess if we thought we could adapt to the summer humidity/temps. Well, were coming back again this Apr for another visit but this time to look at acquiring some land to buy for our future retirement home. Let me say that first time we visited (Aug) the people were so friendly it almost took us a back! For example, we would drive down into various subdivsions just checking things out and people would wave from their drive ways or if another car was passing they would wave/smile/acknowledge us! In contrast, living in So CA, this is rarely if ever the case that one would receive such a greeting so we were a bit astonished/surprised! We are friendly people too so we were immediately made to feel at ease. We were still abit leary going in to stores because of the 'being in the South' thing...but again, we encountered people with what appeared to be genuinely friendly dispostions. We were not expecting such warmth and friendliness and I guess we were still trying to assess 'Is this for real"? I guess I am painting a bad picture for So Californians however our environment here is so fast paced that people rarely take the time to extend the courtesies and friendly gestures that we encountered in E-Town. It's like someone pinch me and tell me if that experience was a dream? PS- We fell in love wiht Rafferty's restaurant and the honey dripped croissants! I am convinced the people in E-Town are truly some of the nicests I've personally ever encountered and it appears like a place we want to spend our 'golden years'. Since we are returning for an Apr visit for a land purchase, are you able to provide some recommendations for subdivisions? We've seen Brentwood, Firefox, the Woods, Fernwood and they are all nice areas (we've seen a couple more that I cannot recall off of Ring Rd). Are there any pros and cons to the subdivisions that anyone (perhaps living in one) can offer?

Old 02-07-2007, 01:29 PM

Wayne - you are not dreaming. Kentucky really is that way in the majority of the areas. I am ashmed to say that some remote areas still cling to the old southern ways - but the rest of us - we are as open and honest as you witnessed. Look at me - chatty cathy- I always strike up a conversation in line at walmart or wherever and can learn someone's life story in 5 minutes.The kids hate it! Ha!

I am so happy you are coming to E-town. You will be about 15 minutes from my house in Lebanon Junction (Bullitt Co., north of E-town). It's funny to talk to you about Ring Road - it's such a small world.

I went to Florida in October - to a little shop on Bradenton Beach - and the guy working said, "where ya'll from?" He was very chatty - and it wasn't long before we discovered he grew up here in L.J, and still has family here. He and my dad got to talking about who they knew, places they knew - it was really funny. I thought his accent sounded familiar!

I cannot think of any cons about any area of Elizabethtown. The developments are all great, all the amenities you could want - and don't EVER be leary of going in a store around here. If someone treats you bad - they are having a bad day - things just aren't like that where I am.

Oh - and the 'waving thing'. It will wear you out!! I grew up that way and didn't think anything about it - and the first time I drove into Louisville and waved - I got the finger! What a shock - and how different 40 miles can be! But, the people in Louisville are good people, just moving fast, alot of newcomers from other states - and the southern charm that used to be Louisville is falling into the ways of all big cities - too busy to take the time to be nice, even though they are. But it's okay, just don't take it personal.

When you get here in April - be sure and let me know. I'll let you in on all the Derby Festivities that will be going on then - and you may be here for Thunder over Louisville. The parking can be tough - but it is so worth it. The Zambellis' do such a great job.

I am so happy you are coming here. I think it's great. Anything at all I can do - let me know. I'll try to have some packets together by April for you to really checkout the developments. The only cons may be above ground vs. underground utilities - although most are below fround now.

And I agree about Rafferty's. I have to stay away from that place or you'll have to roll me out the door! lol! I am so excited that I am going to have a new neighbor - from California no less! Cool!

Take care, Kimmiey

P.S. - I'll stay in touch - and if I discover anything in the meantime I'll let you know.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:10 PM

Default E Town

Hi KimmieyKy,

Thanks again for the add'l insight! We are excited about coming back and its nice to know the friendliness is genuine and even more that it is through out the state! Our friends like E Town and they also were former CA residents and have said nice things about the area too.

Thanks again, any future info regarding neighborhoods and subdivisions are appreciated when possible.

Also, we are working with a local realty to find the parcel or subdivision we think we would like and we hope to buy our land this year and build in another 6 years (complete our relocation from So CA)!

One last thing, our friends took us to a quaint restaurant in Glendale (I think) called the Whistle Stop. We found there were very friendly folks managing and operating the restaurant and lots of antique shops on the street so that may be an area you want to check out (you probably already know the street/area I am referring to).

Thanks again!

Old 02-09-2007, 08:52 AM

Oh my gosh - the Whistle stop is the greatest! I haven't been there in years - but it is wonderful. I have hit the other anitque stores in Glendale though - I could stay for days!

So glad you enjoyed it! Lookforward to having you around!

Kimmiey

Old 05-15-2008, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 9,913 times
Default Hardin County Jail

Hello everyone...

My wife and I are seriously considering moving to Hardin County, KY. If it is not too much to ask, I would like to e-mail anyone who is employed at the Hardin County jail. I am a Deputy Jailer/Sworn Peace Officer who wants information with regard to employment opportunities.

If you wouldn't mind receiving an e-mail, then please let me know.

Thank you and I hope to hear from you.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:15 PM

63 posts, read 313,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_ask39 View Post
Hello everyone...

My wife and I are seriously considering moving to Hardin County, KY. If it is not too much to ask, I would like to e-mail anyone who is employed at the Hardin County jail. I am a Deputy Jailer/Sworn Peace Officer who wants information with regard to employment opportunities.

If you wouldn't mind receiving an e-mail, then please let me know.

Thank you and I hope to hear from you.
I have sent you a PM.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:20 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne G View Post
Hello! I am seriously considering buying land to build our retirement home in E0Town, Ky and I need your informed advise about the following:
1) What areas are considered desirable?
2) How much should I reasonably expect to pay per acre?
3) How are the residents attitude towards 'minorities' (I am one)?
4) What are the 'pros' and 'cons' for the area?

Thanks!
1. Any place within or right around E'town ought to suit your fancy (including Cecilia, Vine Grove, Boston, Glendale, Millerstown, and Lebanon Junction.) Radcliff and Ft. Knox are a bit run-down, but they're not "bad" areas, just areas that have grown around the growth of the military since the 1920s.

2. Depends on the tract, its proximity to the "beaten path," and how close it is to the E'town limits. Anywhere from $25K-55K per acre. You'll just have to shop around and find something that suits your fancy.

3. Don't worry about racial strife, I've only heard one story of any overt racism in Kentucky within my lifetime, and that was about four hours southeast of E'town. E'town is not known for its racial problems.

4. Pros:
a. Lots of shopping options for a county (Hardin) of only 100,000.
b. E'town and Hardin Co. School Systems rank among the state's highest in accountability test scores.
c. Close to Louisville for anything you want yet distant enough that E'town is its own self-sufficient mini-regional center, of sort.
d. Well-planned and -developed bypass system. 31W on the westside, with one more exit-ramp, could pass as a smooth-flowing, limited-access highway. Ring Road (KY 3005) connects the east-central, north, and far west sides of the city and is great now, but its bypass purpose may begin to falter as more large buildings, shopping centers, and stop lights are added.
e. Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, Barnes & Noble, a mall, a cinema, and a slew of your everyday suburban restaurants are right there.

Cons
a. Have to drive to Louisville, Lexington, or Nashville for even cross-country flights.
b. Economic growth has dropped since about 2003-04.
c. Not much employment in Hardin Co. relative to its population; many folks commute to Louisville, and that's not a great idea considering gas prices. (Of course, if you're retiring, that may not matter to you.)

Old 05-18-2008, 11:19 AM

237 posts, read 848,918 times
WayneG,

You have picked the perfect place for the retirement lifestyle I think you are looking for! It may take you a while to 'gear down' to the slower lifestyle there but that is what retirement should be.
We will almost be neighbors as I have a little piece of land on the river just outside of Morgantown in Butler county. My wife is from Illinois and fell in love with the local people and landscape during a visit a few years ago. Oup plan is to retire there in about 10 years or so.
Good luck on finding the property you want, and welcome to Kentucky!

Digger~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky