Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:56 PM

4 posts, read 10,454 times

Advertisements

What area of KY would you suggest for someone over 60 who is semi-retired but still need to work. Most important would be a clean and safe environment with moderately priced housing. My only family is an outdoor/indoor cat. I do work from home presently and could still continue this but would need to be fairly close to shopping, vet, etc. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 10:10 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,644 times
I am looking at near Bowling Green , KY or Springfield (near Nashville), TN. Both look good, though I am leaning towards Bowling Green. The nice thing is they are about 1 hour apart, so I can enjoy both and live in/near either one.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:11 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,056,436 times
Lexington, Kentucky is clean, safe, and moderately-priced, with work, shopping, and veterinary care. Of course, so are many places. What kind of work do you do? What is your price range for housing?

Old 07-31-2008, 06:18 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Come on down to western Kentucky, down around Murray and Mayfield areas. Murray and the lakes area have consistently been voted one of the top retirement areas in the country. Both have veterinarians. Everything you asked about is close by. Plus Kentucky Lake is about 18 miles down the road if you want to check out the scenery.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucili View Post
What area of KY would you suggest for someone over 60 who is semi-retired but still need to work. Most important would be a clean and safe environment with moderately priced housing. My only family is an outdoor/indoor cat. I do work from home presently and could still continue this but would need to be fairly close to shopping, vet, etc. Thanks.
somerset! my apologies, but i am partial to my home town. somerset is a small town in south central kentucky. it is a growing town with plans to build future I-66 right through town. there is a good amount of shopping & some vets as well. i grew up in somerset & we always had animals.

somerset is a good place to live if you're older. the housing market is down, as it is all over the country but my mom is fixing to sell her house if you're interested! i'm sure if you visited, you would never want to leave.

my husband is from little rock, arkansas. everytime we visit my family in somerset, he is always upset to leave. he loves the small town life. somerset is a dry county but there are restaurants in nearby burnside that sell alcholic drinks with your food. lake cumberland is beautiful & i believe somerset is gorgeous.

let me know if you would like more info & good luck!

Old 08-01-2008, 11:16 AM

389 posts, read 1,657,141 times
you might like Danville its a slower pace of life here.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:20 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,056,436 times
Danville is a wonderful choice.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:16 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,806,863 times
Below are three posts I've written in the past on the KY v. TN issue. As you can see, I have and will continue to recommend Tennessee over Kentucky in everything from education to climate, from people to quality of life, from highway quality to multitude of points of interest.

For someone who is semi-retired, any of the exurban communities around Nashville--say, Dickson, Lewisburg, Manchester, or (especially) Cookeville--would probably all be very nice. Closer to the most booming job-market in the entire mid-South should you and yours choose to take advantage of it. Plus, Tennessee does have some more pines in its vegetation, especially the farther south you go from Nashville and I-40, so it tends to stay green year-round as opposed to Kentucky.

If I were to recommend any places in Kentucky, they would be those with a highly-educated populace and still not far detached from regional centers--Danville, Owensboro, and Oldham County come to mind.

Anyway, here goes...

Quote:
Louisville: I've lived there. The best of what Kentucky has to offer in terms of quality of life, arts, entertainment, recreation, culture, and dining. But, I had some bad experiences there that outweighed the good so much that I haven't forgotten about them. It's a shame, too, but I wouldn't bluntly discourage people from moving there. Since I know some things about it, obviously, I'll give you a little scoop: The arts scene is among the best endowed and most diverse of any comparable-sized city. The Olmstead Park system is one of the largest and most expansive in the country--and most beautiful. Jefferson Memorial Forest is, at 6,200 acres, the largest urban forest in America. Highlands and Crescent Hill are two of the most eclectic, diverse neighborhoods you'll find in the midwest. Old Louisville is mostly on the National Register of Historic Places and is America's largest preserved neighborhood of Victorian homes.

Nashville: home of Vanderbilt, great suburban areas, best nightlife of the three cities, capital of TN, better job market than Louisville, comparable cost of living, no income tax, higher sales taxes, Tennessee is friendlier than KY or NC generally, Tennessee is the most beautiful state in the east! I'd recommend looking into Gallatin, White House, or Lebanon as nice suburban communities.
Quote:
Let's see:

Tennessee doesn't tax retirement. It doesn't have an income tax.

Kentucky DOES tax retirement. It has a steep progressive income tax.

In Tennessee, you're closer to the growing metropolis of Nashville.

In Kentucky, your housing values and property taxes might be a bit cheaper (save for Bowling Green, which is still not that expensive,) but you'll be farther from a great city and top-notch healthcare.

In Tennessee, people are more likely to stop and just strike up a conversation with you. (I think TN is overrated in its friendliness factor, but it's still openly friendlier than 80% of the country.)

In Kentucky, the "random friendly stranger" thing isn't quite as common. It happens, but not quite like it does in the real South.

Tennessee has a thriving job market should you ever want to work part-time to keep from being bored.

Kentucky...uhhhhm, searching for jobs...oh yeah, there's a cashier position that just opened at the new Wal-Mart in Bowling Green.

Both states have natural beauty and clean air.

Both states have many dangerous curves and spots on I-65.

Both states are easily accessible by 50% of the nation's population.

I am a Kentuckian, but for the sake of practicality I would recommend Tennessee for you.
Quote:
Bordering states. Similar cultures (west TN v. west KY, east TN v. east KY, although northern KY not really like the South.) Similar accents. SEC rival universities. Large river cities: Memphis and Nashville v. Louisville. Kentucky's original bluegrass music v. Tennessee's produced country music. These states have many similarities and some differences.

Which state do you prefer and why? Which one is friendlier in your opinion?

I chose Tennessee...and I live in Kentucky! Why the choice?
  • Tennessee's economics are faring very, very well while Kentucky can't seem to get its tax structure and economic development incentives together.
  • Tennessee still has reasonably priced public higher education while Kentucky has just this year surpassed the national average for tuition. (I saw it in this Wednesday's Lexington Herald-Leader.) i.e.: UT's in-state tuition is cheaper than UK's, and UT is a much stronger and more respected institution.
  • As pretty and picturesque as Kentucky is, Tennessee is even prettier.
  • The farther South one goes in Tennessee (especially below I-40), the friendlier the people get; I've never found Kentucky's friendliness level to be quite up to par with some of the Southern tier states.
Kentucky does have one advantage over Tennessee, though: Ale-8-1. Ha!

Last edited by EclecticEars; 08-01-2008 at 10:27 PM..

Old 08-01-2008, 10:27 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,172,192 times
Why would you view Tennesee's climate as better than Ketucky's...it is virturally the same depending on where you live in either state. They don't get much snow, except int he mountains, but neither does southern Kentucky. Also, I don't see the vast difference in beauty between the two states, they look very similar to me...I think they are both really pretty states. Bowling Green offers much more in the job market than Walmart...we were named #12 on Forbes list of best small cities to work or do business in America. You really seem to have a problem with Kentucky because of your own bad experiences, but you shouldn't put the whole state down because of your own individual problems with it. I can see why people in Kentucky might not be all that friendly with you since you come with quite an attitude that I am sure you don't try to hide.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:41 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Let's see:

Tennessee doesn't tax retirement. It doesn't have an income tax.

Kentucky DOES tax retirement. It has a steep progressive income tax.
OK, but TN does have a much higher sales tax and I believe, though you may correct this, a tax on dividends, etc. Plus higher property taxes?

Quote:
In Tennessee, you're closer to the growing metropolis of Nashville.
In my case it looks like I could be in Bowling Green or Franklin, Ky and still be "close" to Nashville. Is living in say Springfield or similar all that better?

Quote:
In Kentucky, your housing values and property taxes might be a bit cheaper (save for Bowling Green, which is still not that expensive,) but you'll be farther from a great city and top-notch healthcare.
Humm, It seems Bowling Green is not that deficient in available health care and if necessary Nashville is not that far away. Is it a big problem?

Quote:
In Tennessee, people are more likely to stop and just strike up a conversation with you. (I think TN is overrated in its friendliness factor, but it's still openly friendlier than 80% of the country.)
OK where is KY in that issue? 10% 75% or???

I live in California and it is NOT even 10% friendly as an example I have lived on my street for 8 years, visited all my neighbors when moving in and still only have two speak to me or anyone on the street. I am a very nice person and my wife is nicer, so there.(Note, I am a native Californian)

Quote:
In Kentucky, the "random friendly stranger" thing isn't quite as common. It happens, but not quite like it does in the real South.
Define not as common and how big a deal is it in any event. Being a "Yankee" though with family roots in TN, GA and VA, I may be able to slip under the radar, except for my "accent".

Quote:
Tennessee has a thriving job market should you ever want to work part-time to keep from being bored.

Kentucky...uhhhhm, searching for jobs...oh yeah, there's a cashier position that just opened at the new Wal-Mart in Bowling Green.
I will be retired so who cares about a job. Just means less traffic.

Quote:
Both states have natural beauty and clean air.

Both states have many dangerous curves and spots on I-65.

Both states are easily accessible by 50% of the nation's population.

I am a Kentuckian, but for the sake of practicality I would recommend Tennessee for you.
OK, how about for me??????? Is TN still better and if so why in your opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky