Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Kentucky: retirement, infrastructure, downtown, condos, development.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:46 PM

26 posts, read 135,255 times

Advertisements

Although we know that we're moving to Oldham County, we don't know exactly where yet. (I've posted about this dilema here in the last couple months. Thanks to everyone who has responded!)

We're considering Buckner but I do have concerns. The couple times that we visited it appears that there is really nothing there besides a few subdivisions (which are pretty nice, I guess), soccer fields, a community center (? -- not sure what's in there!), a gas station, a Subway and not much else!

We did see Buckner Elementary and the middle school and high school. Someone here mentioned that the high school was going to be renovated starting this January. Is this for certain? It certainly looked like it needed some improvements on the exterior because it appeared pretty run-down.

I guess I am wondering if anyone knows if there are any plans to continue building up the area? I would think that with so many new subdivisions and homes that more stores, restaurants, etc. would be added to the area. It would be helpful to know if someone actually has some knowledge about this or can direct me to a place where I can call and/or email myself to find out.

Thanks so much for any and all information you can share with me! I appreciate it all and enjoy the responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 8,929 times
My wife and I drove through Buckner just a few days ago, looking at it as a possible retirement place. Like you, we found it strangely lacking in typical town infrastructure...no actual "downtown" or Main Street. The impression we got was that of a would-be town that failed to grow because adjacent La Grange attracted most of the attention and business to become the county seat. As a sort of sop, it seems, several county government agencies are located in and around Buckner, but the real "action", such as it is, is in La Grange a few miles down the road.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:29 AM

7,071 posts, read 16,764,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver30 View Post
Although we know that we're moving to Oldham County, we don't know exactly where yet. (I've posted about this dilema here in the last couple months. Thanks to everyone who has responded!)

We're considering Buckner but I do have concerns. The couple times that we visited it appears that there is really nothing there besides a few subdivisions (which are pretty nice, I guess), soccer fields, a community center (? -- not sure what's in there!), a gas station, a Subway and not much else!

We did see Buckner Elementary and the middle school and high school. Someone here mentioned that the high school was going to be renovated starting this January. Is this for certain? It certainly looked like it needed some improvements on the exterior because it appeared pretty run-down.

I guess I am wondering if anyone knows if there are any plans to continue building up the area? I would think that with so many new subdivisions and homes that more stores, restaurants, etc. would be added to the area. It would be helpful to know if someone actually has some knowledge about this or can direct me to a place where I can call and/or email myself to find out.

Thanks so much for any and all information you can share with me! I appreciate it all and enjoy the responses!
In the next 5-10 years, you probably won't be able to stand the explosive growth in the area. So have no fear, here is just one major development which should break ground pretty soon:

By Andrea Uhde
auhde@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

Construction on a Buckner development that will include 496 homes and 76 office condos could start as soon as next year.Moderator cut: copyright

Last edited by Marka; 01-07-2007 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: give us the link, please

Old 01-26-2007, 01:55 AM

246 posts, read 1,057,945 times
Default highliner

C'mon OLIVER30, give yourself a break, and don't sentence your family to internment in that crappy little hamlet. Madison is bigger, nicer, and more convenient, and I'm not getting paid to say so.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:42 AM

850 posts, read 3,160,535 times
Oliver, I can most certainly tell you that Buckner will explode.
As stx mentioned - the growth plan is in the works - it simply takes time.

As a lifelong citizen of Kentucky,I have seen the growth in that area over the years. While Buckner has grown more slowly than LaGrange, the entire region is a wonderful place to be a part of.

Buckner is, as I am sure you have noticed, only a few miles on thr outskirts of LaGrange. When you venture off the main highway, you will find horse farms, older family homesteads, new developements and even a Buffalo farm.

Buckner, in my opinion - and through what I know from talk - has remained as it is due to the 'want' of the people who live there. As LaGrange grew, there was also a need to keep rural areas intact, and families who have lived in the area for generations owned much of the land.

Lack of expansion, as it is in most rural areas, has been slowed due to the need and want to keep family traditions alive. The predicted growth is due to the new generations wishing to expand. Grandparents have passed on, land has been inherited, and room is being made for growth.

My roots are in Henry County and Oldham County, along with Nelson and Bullitt. I live in the most southern end of Bullitt county, an hour drive from Buckner/LaGrange. The slow growth is true for my town, Lebanon Junction, as well - for the same reasons.
Families who have lived here for generations held onto the land as a way to make a living and to preserve their heritage. It has only been through 'passing of the torch' that development is coming - and coming quickly.

A drive down I-65 to exit 105 will bring you to the border of Bullitt county, and into the bottoms of the Rolling Fork River. There are a few stores (convenience stores), and finally a McDonalds (opened in 2004) - but land newly acquired is scheduled to boom in the next 5 years. Plans for hotels, more food establishments, and rumors of bigger retail chains are in the works.

This has not been an easy change to see for those whose roots run deep in this area. the WANT to preserve Lebanon Junction's old way of life has, for generations, held back expansion. This is most certainly the case in Buckner, too.

If I where to move at this point in my life - other than the historic town of Bardstown - sentencing my family to the hamlet of Buckner would be my closest second choice. I cannot think of another area close to Louisville which would have more potential. The schools are great, the people are wonderful, and blending with the community of LaGrange gives so many opportunities for enjoying 'smalltown America'.

Less than a half hour drive will bring you into Louisville where you can easily enjoy a bigger city feel through arts, entertainment and culture - or a drive just minutes within a few mile radius will take you to some of the most breathtaking country side around. Venture into downtown LaGrange to the quaint shops and restauraunts - or further to the Henry County town of Smithfield (best accessible from the back roads in Oldham and Henry County), established in the 1700's and still sporting the original mill and general store, whih has been revived a shops and a wonderful restauraunt

If you are seeking a small town atmosphere with growth in it's future - you could not find a better region.

Highliner - I am so sorry you feel that way about Buckner and surrounding areas. I wish I could take you on a tour of the hearts and souls of the people who live there so that you could see the vision which has been born. It will be an extraordinary place to be, just wait and see.

KimmieyKY

Old 01-26-2007, 02:44 AM

850 posts, read 3,160,535 times
Default Noticed you are in Central KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
C'mon OLIVER30, give yourself a break, and don't sentence your family to internment in that crappy little hamlet. Madison is bigger, nicer, and more convenient, and I'm not getting paid to say so.
In what town do you reside - or are close to? Curious as to the culture surrounding you.

Have a Blessed day, KimmieyKY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky