Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 8,273 times

Advertisements

My husband leaves next week for Richmond,KY to start a new job. We're looking for a small town, great schools and land.....(affordable land) about an hour outside of Richmond,KY. Where would ya'll suggest we start looking? I've been all over the internet and now I'm confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 03:56 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyfirewife View Post
My husband leaves next week for Richmond,KY to start a new job. We're looking for a small town, great schools and land.....(affordable land) about an hour outside of Richmond,KY. Where would ya'll suggest we start looking? I've been all over the internet and now I'm confused.
A small town outside of Richmond? How about Berea just 10 minutes south. Richmond is having a lot of growth, I was up there a couple weeks ago and was surprised by just how much is changing there.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:08 PM

149 posts, read 764,080 times
KFW, is yer husb paid firefighter? If so then he'll soon learn the neighborhoods startin next week from best insider perspective. What I'd do if firefighter was me is crash at cheap furnished microwave/fridge motel a week or so to start work - and then haul you and the kids into the area for house shopping on weekends after gettin a handle on best locations, housing values, schools etc from cronies at work.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 30,649 times
Kentuckyfirewife,
If you are looking at an hour from Richmond that gives you a VERY wide range as there are lots of small towns within an hour from here. Most of those have affordable housing and land. One thing to keep in mind is the further north you go from Richmond the more expensive the housing and land become. As far as small towns go you could check Berea, Mt. Vernon, Danville, Irvine, and Winchester. I am not sure how small of a town you are looking for, as Berea, Danville and Winchester at least have a Wal-Mart. The other two do not but are within a 30 minute drive of one. And all have some quaint little restaurants. Now as for schools White Hall Elementary is number 6 in the state for the 06-07 school year for testing. However, about any school district in Madison Co. is a good school. I am not really famililar with the schools in other counties but I would say they rank pretty well. I hope that this information helps and Welcome to KY!!

Old 05-04-2008, 01:02 PM

486 posts, read 1,896,569 times
Land in Fayette County and Jessamine County are more expensive yes, but land in Clark County, Harrison County, or Scott County is just as cheap as land in Madison County. As mentioned above, there are numerous towns to chose from. You need to take a look to see which town will best suit your needs. If I had to recommend towns, I'd look at Berea, Danville, Nicholasville, or Mt. Sterling. The schools in those towns are on the whole good, with the exception of Nicholasville (Jessamine County Schools are terrible). I know you're a bit confused now because you're overloaded with information, but I would look at GreatSchools.net for school information.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:52 AM

3 posts, read 19,533 times
I would definatly look in Berea, Irvine and Waco for land. Berea would be the best bet for finding large land while staying close to Richmond and having alot of shops and resteraunts. It's a very artsy town. Irvine is also great, there is a ton of places right outside of town where you can find land pretty cheap, but it is a railroad town and VERY small with few stores and resteraunts. Waco is the smallest town ever but it's quaint.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:36 PM

310 posts, read 1,209,312 times
Default Richmond Move

I agree with other posts that Berea is a great community to check into. If you are renting, you may want to try going to craigslist and checking out rentals in advance.

Here is the link to craigslist.

craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums

Old 06-23-2008, 11:27 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986
I'm not a Richmond fan. Some of the townspeople don't, uhmmmm...keep up with appearances. Meaning, Richmond is not a poor or lazy community but some choose to dress in a scroungy manner thinking it's more "country," when in fact it really isn't "country." [It's trashy.] I think a person from out-of-state could only move here and live a while to really begin to understand it.

EKU has a beautiful campus and a large shopping center is going up along KY 876. Otherwise, Richmond isn't a very nice town at all.
One of my prior posts about Richmond...

Old 06-24-2008, 06:36 AM

439 posts, read 1,232,116 times
I live in Lexington and want to move back to Richmond. I find Lexingotn to be snobby overall, while Richmond seems to have a nicer set of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky