Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 08:22 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times

Advertisements

Kentucky is upper south. I have always referred to Kentucky and Virginia as the top of the south. The line gets vague in Missouri and WV, but I say KY and VA are solidly southern.

I know their northern extremes have a lot in common with the bottom of the north but of course they do. That's the border. Doesn't make them northern. In the same way as the other way around does not make Ohio or Indiana southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 09:17 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Hope you'll have a chance sometime to drive around and see more of the state and meet more people. There's a lot to see and do in Ky.
Do you have facebook? If so, look up Map Dot, Ky. A man from Bowling Green started this a few years ago. Everybody knows about the cities, but what about the people that live in little towns that are nothing more than a dot on the map.

http://coryramseyoutdoors.com/

https://www.facebook.com/mapdotkentucky
Thank you for the wonderful links. I had no idea about mapdotkentucky. Just for fun, I looked up Hickman in Fulton County and found another courthouse jewel in Kentucky. Built in 1903.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:55 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Marino, and anybody else who drives down towards Hickman, Ky., take time to go check out Columbus Belmont State Park overlooking the Mississippi River. Columbus-Belmont State Park - Columbus, Kentucky
This was a major civil war battlefield. If you scroll through the pictures and see the huge chain and anchor, the Confederates had plans to stretch the chain across the river to stop the Union supply boats then bombard them from high on the cliffs. The problem was the chain was so heavy they couldn't find anything to hold it up. Amazing view of the river and super amazing view of the sunsetting in Missouri

Old 04-09-2017, 09:52 AM

123 posts, read 190,617 times
That park sounds awesome! It's 350 miles from me so that might be a weekend trip but sounds like it would be worth it! We love exploring parks like this! Thank you for that link! I had never heard of it before!

Old 04-09-2017, 10:51 AM

811 posts, read 889,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlc74 View Post
I have made the move (finally) to the beautiful state of Kentucky. My daughter and I landed in Covington about 6 weeks ago. We are from Florida. My daughter will be working in downtown Cincinnati and I will be working in Florence. Before we moved, I was talking about Kentucky with family and someone said, "there are a lot of hillbillies in Kentucky". I didn't acknowledge the remark because this person is not well travelled and has never been to Kentucky. And I'm not really sure what he was trying to say given his own life and location.

Anyway, someone mentioned earlier in this thread that there are a lot of unique areas to Kentucky and that is very true. We are seeing lots of Ohio influence here in Covington. Our street is very diverse with black, white and a few Hispanic people. Some have heavy southern drawl accents while others are probably from Ohio and say things like "pop" (when referring to soda) with a hint of a northern accent. Covington has a lot of historical houses and buildings. Most of them look like the architecture you see in Cincinnati.

Our neighbors are very friendly and warm. They didn't know us from Adam but were quick to ask if we needed help moving in. Most people speak when they see you and that includes almost everywhere we've been so far. When we walk outside, neighbors speak every time. It's usually something about the weather but they speak. Coming from Florida, this is a new but welcomed custom for us as people in Florida are not as friendly. We also encountered this same level of friendliness in Tennessee so I'm assuming it's a southern way because we see a slight decrease in those friendly greetings when we are in Cincinnati.

Covington is very unique, it's mostly (if not all) city living and definitely different from what some may see as typical Kentucky with rolling hills and horse farms. There's a lot more character in the beautiful state of Kentucky than the limited misconceptions suggest.
Welcome! I have found Kentucky to be a very enjoyable place to live, after moving to here from Northern Ohio. I lived in Florence for a time and the people were very friendly, especially compared to what I was used to in Cleveland, where people look at the ground and dare not talk to strangers. NKY and Cincinnati share a lot of similarities and there are many Cincinnati natives moving across the river into Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties, but make no mistake, you know you are in Kentucky once crossing the Ohio River.

I hope you enjoy the area and get to see all that Kentucky offers, it is truly a beautiful, friendly state. If looking for stuff to see, check out KY's state parks, they are well kept and offer a lot if you are into the outdoors.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:56 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
KY still has a lot of negative myths and stereotypes that people perpetuate about it. While some of them are partially true, especially of some of the rural areas, they are not totally true. For example, the missing teeth thing. You are just as likely to find people with missing teeth in any rural area of any state. IL has Chicago, but rural IL has people with missing teeth.

I also hate that people think Ky is all country. Louisville and NKY are very urban, and even parts of Lexington in downtown are pretty urban.

Also, KY's city's are very liberal and progressive, especially Louisville.

Louisville has the 11th most per capita gays of any large US city.

Why? KY is a beautiful, temperate, and affordable place to live in the right spots!

Old 04-09-2017, 10:53 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
KY still has a lot of negative myths and stereotypes that people perpetuate about it. While some of them are partially true, especially of some of the rural areas, they are not totally true. For example, the missing teeth thing. You are just as likely to find people with missing teeth in any rural area of any state. IL has Chicago, but rural IL has people with missing teeth.

I also hate that people think Ky is all country. Louisville and NKY are very urban, and even parts of Lexington in downtown are pretty urban.

Also, KY's city's are very liberal and progressive, especially Louisville.

Louisville has the 11th most per capita gays of any large US city.

Why? KY is a beautiful, temperate, and affordable place to live in the right spots!
I think my little "status" under my user name speaks for itself in this regard.

I dislike stereotypes.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:49 PM

123 posts, read 190,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Welcome! I have found Kentucky to be a very enjoyable place to live, after moving to here from Northern Ohio. I lived in Florence for a time and the people were very friendly, especially compared to what I was used to in Cleveland, where people look at the ground and dare not talk to strangers. NKY and Cincinnati share a lot of similarities and there are many Cincinnati natives moving across the river into Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties, but make no mistake, you know you are in Kentucky once crossing the Ohio River.

I hope you enjoy the area and get to see all that Kentucky offers, it is truly a beautiful, friendly state. If looking for stuff to see, check out KY's state parks, they are well kept and offer a lot if you are into the outdoors.
Thank you! We love Kentucky! My daughter and I really enjoy the parks and they are well kept! We accidentally found Big Bone Lick State Park this past weekend. What a beautiful place! I told my daughter that the next time we are out that way, I want to go a few miles further and see Rabbit Hash and visit that cute store that just had their grand opening.

I'm glad you mentioned how dismissive people from other states can be - this is what we are use to. Being here in Kentucky has been like a breath of fresh air with all the hospitality. We are very happy!

And you are correct again, even though there are Ohio influences in NKY, you know you are in Kentucky once you cross the river.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:09 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlc74 View Post
Thank you! We love Kentucky! My daughter and I really enjoy the parks and they are well kept! We accidentally found Big Bone Lick State Park this past weekend. What a beautiful place! I told my daughter that the next time we are out that way, I want to go a few miles further and see Rabbit Hash and visit that cute store that just had their grand opening.

I'm glad you mentioned how dismissive people from other states can be - this is what we are use to. Being here in Kentucky has been like a breath of fresh air with all the hospitality. We are very happy!

And you are correct again, even though there are Ohio influences in NKY, you know you are in Kentucky once you cross the river.
That's exactly how I felt when I visited Louisville and KY although it's been a few years now. When I took a day trip to Cincinnati the atmosphere was completely different. The charm and Southern hospitality was gone. I couldn't wait to cross back over the river and return to Kentucky. As much as some people say Louisville is more like the Midwest, it didn't feel like it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky