Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 02:35 PM

14,764 posts, read 8,093,254 times

Advertisements

The Eleven most dangerous places in Kentucky

An interesting list. The article seems to be causing a lot of controversy and dissension.
What do you all think of the list?

Old 09-16-2016, 03:31 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
There are a lot of rural areas that are a heck of a lot more dangerous than those cities, but I don't really disagree with the places on the list. I usually feel safe anywhere I go, but I'm not a fool, and even if I don't feel directly endangered I do notice the danger if I'm in a wrong place. West Louisville, Richmond, Hazard, Pikeville, Ashland... I can't disagree with those places being included on the list. My spidey sense is cranked up to "11" when I'm in one of those areas.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:48 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Thank you for posting. I often find sites that have the best towns, prettiest towns, safest towns, but rarely have seen a list of the most dangerous towns. It's a good dose of reality and very good to know for people like myself that are not from Kentucky for the purpose future house hunting.
I have noticed a trend though in some or many smaller and medium size towns in becoming safer. Maybe it's just a one or two year trend and time will tell. Danville is a good example where the city in past years has had a fairly moderate crime rate but the latest figures show a significant decrease in crime. I hope these trends continue.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:34 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
Wowie, good article~! I was surprised by some of the towns, like Florence, but not surprised by seeing Louisville. It use to be so safe you could leave your doors open no matter where you lived, but not anymore. Crime happens in the all areas of towns now, which is sad.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:02 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,108 times
I get these "Onlyinyourstate" articles on my facebook page all the time. I lost confidence in the articles when she made mention of mountain top removal in Monroe County. I think Jenn must have a quota to meet and writes about a lot of stuff she is not qualified to write about. Or, just hard up for content.

But, I'll have to admit she got at least one correct....louisville, louisville is not safe during daylight or after dark, anywhere, and, these thugs do cross those imiginary lines we all hear so much about.

And, why wasn't lexington on the list? They have at least one robery, shooting, home invasion, car jacking, murder and the list goes on....every night, sometimes two or three. Not to mention the petty theft and vadalism. Don't believe me? Turn on your TV every morning like I do and watch the news. And, they don't report all of it either, you can take my word for it.

Shew....for something I don't have any faith in sure got all worked up didn't I....sorry.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:22 PM

258 posts, read 299,469 times
I've lived in two of the towns ON this list (one of which being my hometown), and several more not mentioned. I find it incredibly hard to believe they are more dangerous than Lexington or Newport. I'm calling bunk on this article.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:54 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
I didn't know Lexington was that bad. Now and then the local news here does mention some crime there. How sad we all can't get along nowadays and just talk our differences out.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:21 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
The article says "Louisville residents and visitors have a 1 in 158 chance of being in a violent crime" but it doesn't say how risky the safer neighborhoods or more dangerous neighborhoods are. I've lived in Louisville for more than a year and have never actually seen a violent crime, nor even a non-violent crime. But that might be because I don't live in a very dangerous neighborhood even though mine is supposedly not as safe as a lot of Louisville. The figures posted in that kind of article have a high probability of being wrong because they come indirectly through different sources and might not always be copied carefully enough from one source to another. You can never be sure what year the original figures were for.

One way violent crimes between strangers happen is when someone catches someone breaking in to his car, and attacks that person, who fights back. To avoid that kind of violent crime, call the police immediately from a distance and take pictures from a distance but avoid getting anywhere near the criminal. The same situation happens with burglars but it's hard to keep your distance from burglars. You can improve your odds with better alarms, better locks, louder pets, etc. Another situation is when you go to a bar or party and get involved in violence between people under the influence of whatever. And of course there is a lot of domestic violence almost everywhere these days. If you and your family members tend to get drunk often, there is a high probability you will be involved in domestic violence at some point. All of those situations add to the crime statistics. And if your neighborhood has street gangs started by teenagers whose parents don't supervise them, your odds of being a crime victim go up, just by being around them.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:41 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Versailles is normally a quiet, lovely little town - but there have been at least two particularly lurid murders in Versailles/ Woodford County in the last two or three years. Perhaps this has raised the community's rating...

Old 09-20-2016, 03:07 PM

14,764 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Thank you for posting. I often find sites that have the best towns, prettiest towns, safest towns, but rarely have seen a list of the most dangerous towns. It's a good dose of reality and very good to know for people like myself that are not from Kentucky for the purpose future house hunting.
I have noticed a trend though in some or many smaller and medium size towns in becoming safer. Maybe it's just a one or two year trend and time will tell. Danville is a good example where the city in past years has had a fairly moderate crime rate but the latest figures show a significant decrease in crime. I hope these trends continue.
That is one of the main reasons I posted it, because if I were going to relocate here, it is one of the most important factors that I would like to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky