Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,429 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are traveling to kentucky next week. We just want to see what exactly 40 acres looks like out there, and get a feel for the countryside in winter, as we will be relocating from Chicago. We are done with the snow.

We are looking for a place with plenty of land to grow vegetables and food for our family, and that is private, rural, and relaxed. We are thinking eastern KY because we love the mountains, well, anything but the plains! we want out!

But, I digress.. to the point of the post...

we'd love some reccomendations of places to stay in small towns or medium sized towns that have some character or are fun. We don't have kids, so it does not have to be kid friendly.

Also, we will be doing alot of driving in eastern kentucky, if you have any suggestions for towns or other things to see along the way, we'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 02:57 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,320,651 times
Wow, you are in a candy store and there are 1000's sugar packed choices. Almost anywhere outside the golden triangle (Lexington-Louisville-Covington) will offer you a place. Union/Henderson/Daviess/McLean/Webster are not your place as they are the flatest, but I would likely push you towards the triangle of Covington-Lexington-Ashland. While the hills are not as mountainous as the Ashland-Lexington-Corbin triangle, you'll like the area based solely on your OP.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,562,680 times
Union County and area aren't that flat! True you don't have to have one leg longer than the other to stand up straight like in eastern ky. but it's pretty hilly.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:11 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,497,727 times
I you're asking about small towns with a lot of historic structures and sites... I'd recommend Danville, Bardstown, and Berea.

Both are in or near what is known as the "Knobs" Region, an area of hilly, almost mountainous land formed when the Bluegrass and Pennyroyal Plateaus pushed up against one another. The offer small town charm but are not far from KY's major cities.

Bardstown is home to "My Old Kentucky Home" state park which features a playhouse, and several historic distilleries are nearby. Berheim Forest offers 35 miles of hiking trails in the Knobs.

Danville was the first capitol of Kentucky and is home to Constitution Square.

Berea is known as the "Arts and Crafts Capitol of KY". It is home to historic Boone Tavern (which is CLOSED for renovation until MAY) and several artisan villages. There are some nice hiking trails just 5 miles away on Indian Fort Mountain

Berea, Kentucky Official Web Site! Berea, Ky (http://www.berea.com/artscrafts.htm - broken link)

Bernheim Arboretum & Research Forest
http://www.bernheim.org/images/shady_forest.jpg

The 2007 Community Art Show sponsored by the Berea Arts Council (http://www.bereaartscouncil.org/exhibits/2007/community/community.htm - broken link)
Boone Tavern Hotel & Restaurant

Old 02-22-2008, 12:28 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,794,735 times
If you are feeling wild and crazy:

Wigwam village #1: Horse Cave, Kentucky
Built in 1933 by Frank Redford and 6 more wigwams to be used as guest rooms. The central building and gas pumps are visible on undated postcards. Reportedly closed in 1935 when the nearby wigwam village #2 was opened. This wigwam village was lost in 1982 when it was razed. It is located on US-31E, Horse Cave, Kentucky.

Wigwam Motel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But they must have built another one!

Wigwam Village No. 2, Cave City, Kentucky

Old 02-22-2008, 12:53 PM

241 posts, read 1,336,343 times
If you're anywhere near Northern Kentucky, there's a motel with themed rooms (caves, polynesian, safari, etc.) in Florence right off of I-71/75. You can see some examples here: Wildwood Inn.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:57 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,320,651 times
Default I know Union Co well

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Union County and area aren't that flat! True you don't have to have one leg longer than the other to stand up straight like in eastern ky. but it's pretty hilly.
Kygman... you are right. There is no such thing as a flat Kentucky county, but considering where the writer is coming from, Union County is "flat".

It was the context that I was writing about, not the actual situation. I think I know Kentucky geography very well, especially Union Co as I was a livestock feed salesman there back in the 70's and grew up in McLean Co, farmed in Daviess, traveled often to Hopkins, Webster, and lived in Henderson Co for 11 years.

I apologize for any confusion.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:24 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,811,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post

Built in 1933 by Frank Redford and 6 more wigwams to be used as guest rooms. The central building and gas pumps are visible on undated postcards. Reportedly closed in 1935 when the nearby wigwam village #2 was opened. This wigwam village was lost in 1982 when it was razed. It is located on US-31E, Horse Cave, Kentucky.

This is exactly what I think of when I hear "eccentric motel."

Old 02-22-2008, 03:29 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,760,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPaddle View Post
My wife and I are traveling to kentucky next week. We just want to see what exactly 40 acres looks like out there, and get a feel for the countryside in winter, as we will be relocating from Chicago. We are done with the snow.

We are looking for a place with plenty of land to grow vegetables and food for our family, and that is private, rural, and relaxed. We are thinking eastern KY because we love the mountains, well, anything but the plains! we want out!

But, I digress.. to the point of the post...

we'd love some reccomendations of places to stay in small towns or medium sized towns that have some character or are fun. We don't have kids, so it does not have to be kid friendly.

Also, we will be doing alot of driving in eastern kentucky, if you have any suggestions for towns or other things to see along the way, we'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
Its not a motel, but it is truly one of the nicer boutique hotels I have ever had the priveledge to stay in. I am speaking of 21C Museum/Hotel. It would be worth a stayover in Louisville for a night on the way to more rural locales. Its picture is in the dictionary next to ECCENTRIC :

21c Museum Hotel | Louisville Kentucky's Premier Hotel, Museum and Restaurant Property (http://www.21cmuseumhotel.com/overview/default.aspx - broken link)

Old 02-23-2008, 06:59 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,094,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post

I don't think they are two different ones, I think that it is two websites for the same place. There is another wig-wam village in another state (I don't remember where)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky