Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 06:25 PM

257 posts, read 881,744 times

Advertisements

i agree about the traffic. louisville traffic is nothing compared to that of lexington. lexington has one of the most inefficient road systems for a city of its size. i still like it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 07:52 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post
I'll give you a one-word answer, from the perspective of a Meade Countian.

Yes.
My granparents, their grandparents, and so on were from Meade county. What's your last name?

Old 04-24-2009, 08:17 AM

9 posts, read 24,479 times
Well I have to start by saying I grew up an hour south of Lexington so therefore it was closer for the shopping experience to go there. However, I now live north of Frankfort and am right in the middle of either city. I have been to Louisville many times over the last 6 years and IMO Louisville is a little dirty but then again Lexington has it's dirty parts as well. I can remember that Lexington used to be smaller than Louisville however according to the last that I report I read it is now larger. I think it's because it has more room to grow as Louisville sits on the river and has no room to go anywhere. I guess i like either city just as well as the other. I especially enjoy 4th street live and the waterfront, however on the Lexington side I like the fact that it is easier to get around the traffic is not nearly as congested.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:33 AM

200 posts, read 807,222 times
Lexington is no where near as large as Louisville. Back before the merger of county government in Jefferson County, and only the population of Louisville proper was counted an already merged Lexington-Fayette would have surpassed Louisville as the larger city..... Last I checked Lexington Fayette still hasnt cracked the 300,000 mark.... while Louisville Metro is right at 710,000..... Thats a HUGE difference. And when you look at the entire metro area, Louisville has a metro area of about 1.3 million people.... Lexington.... around 500k

Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 AM

9 posts, read 24,479 times
I guess we all get info from different sources and we all have our own opinions. The subject was if rural KY hated Louisville, I don't. All of Kentucky has it's good with it's bad is no different than anywhere else.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:31 PM

37 posts, read 84,261 times
I have heard of many non-Louisville residents who wouldn't mind seeing Louisville become a part of Indiana.

But I ask you this: Can you imagine what KY would be like without Louisville?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:24 PM

141 posts, read 752,703 times
What would KY be like without Lousiville? Darn near perfect.

I have this idea that if we could reroute the Ohio River to cut off Jefferson, Kenton, and Boone counties, we'd be much better off for doing so. I'd gladly give Kenton and Boone counties to Ohio and Jefferson County to Indiana.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:52 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
Quote:

I have this idea that if we could reroute the Ohio River to cut off Jefferson, Kenton, and Boone counties, we'd be much better off for doing so. I'd gladly give Kenton and Boone counties to Ohio and Jefferson County to Indiana.
Not true, only parts of Jefferson county should go to Indiana. Then again, I have heard that people in Indy think anyone south of them in Indiana should become part of Kentucky.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:35 AM

200 posts, read 807,222 times
There are so many things wrong with this statement. What would Kentucky be without the Kentucky Derby? Or the University of Louisville? Or that giant Florence Ya'll water tower in Florence that greets drivers on I-75 south? These are just a few icons of those areas that you mentioned.

Quote:

Old 04-28-2009, 01:37 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenoa01 View Post
I guess we all get info from different sources and we all have our own opinions. The subject was if rural KY hated Louisville, I don't. All of Kentucky has it's good with it's bad is no different than anywhere else.
There is no other source for population than the US Census. Sorry if you can't see that Louisville is nearly three times larger than Lexington, but it is.

Louisville city population 710,000
Lexington city population 269,000

Louisville metro area 1.25 million
Lexington metro area 450,000

Can't you just feel by the downtown, the urban hoods, the traffic, the freeway system, and the substantially better cultural options that it is a much larger city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky