Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 05:02 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,901,949 times

Advertisements

Okay, maybe hate is a strong word, but it seems like many people in KY dislike the Jackson Purchase area of the state. It almost seems as if they do not want to acknowledge the JP as part of the state. For instance, someone wanted to know where to live in KY and the replay was start from Cadiz and work their way east. I just wanted to get some perspective from residents across the state as to why the JP area seems to be treated like a red-headed stepchild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 06:49 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,086,477 times
I disagree. I love all of Kentucky and am proud of this wonderful state!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:34 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,876 times
I really haven't seen much dislike for the Jackson Purchase part of the state at all. That area does have a little history of separation from the rest of the state, that's true. (Sided more with the Confederacy during the Civil War than the rest of the state.) They seem to have more emotional ties with Tennessee than with other parts of the state. And there is the normal city-rural rivalry you see in any state.

But really, not much, imo. That area of the state is beautiful and I've recommended to to several people looking for a place to retire.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:59 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,750 times
I live in the JP and I'll tell you why we have a separation from the rest of the state. It's because the ONLY TIME you see any politician or get any help/jobs/improvements/anything is during a election. To Frankfort and most of the rest of the state, the JP is a mythic land that only people have heard of but never been to. That's fine, I like here and I like the fact it's not that crowded.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:55 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,011,129 times
Western Kentucky, Southern Illinois. and Southeast Missouri all share the same bias from the more populated areas of their states. Pretty much a shared situation in this region. Northwest Tennessee seems less affected in this way.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:01 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,086,477 times
I guess I am not sure what y'all mean but I have never noticed an animosity in that way. I can understand what you're saying though, certain parts of Louisville are favored(the wealthiest) by the city government and the rest are just left to their own devices.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:23 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Okay, maybe hate is a strong word, but it seems like many people in KY dislike the Jackson Purchase area of the state. It almost seems as if they do not want to acknowledge the JP as part of the state. For instance, someone wanted to know where to live in KY and the replay was start from Cadiz and work their way east. I just wanted to get some perspective from residents across the state as to why the JP area seems to be treated like a red-headed stepchild.
I sympathize with your position of feeling disliked and left out...I am from Eastern Kentucky....

Old 12-31-2007, 07:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Western Kentucky, Southern Illinois. and Southeast Missouri all share the same bias from the more populated areas of their states. Pretty much a shared situation in this region. Northwest Tennessee seems less affected in this way.
you hit that nail quite nicely! Having lived in 2 of the areas, and also NW Tn, I totally agree with you. The only time anyone pays attention to these areas is election time.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:51 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,876 times
BTW, I am reading an excellent book on growning up in the Jackson Purchase area in the 50's by Bobbie Lee Mason. If you like memoirs, it's a good one. (She wrote In Country that was made into a movie with Bruce Willis.)

Amazon.com: Clear Springs: A Family Story: Books: Bobbie Ann Mason,Random House Inc.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:51 PM

149 posts, read 764,438 times
Quote:
I am reading an excellent book on growning up in the Jackson Purchase area in the 50's by Bobbie Lee Mason.
Is that 1850's or 1950???

Reason I'm asking: areas that included JP region were virtually barbarian lawless and uncivilized inhospitable way back circa 1850 until after the civil war.

Y'all remember Jayhawk Redlegs and Quantrill Raiders doncha?? These were ruthless crazy sons of ******* from the West that reached about to Dixie Hwy literally burning and pillaging everything they found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky