Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2006, 04:28 PM
lis lis started this thread

5 posts, read 22,693 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am thinking of relocating to Southshore, Kentucky does anyone know of living expenses, and if the town have good schools? Also, is there a catholic church nearby? And, since I am coming from Los Angeles, I am kind of concern of tornadoes. How often does it happen? What are the signs and warnigns of a tornado and what to do during a tornado storm?
Thank you, I really appreciate any guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 04:25 AM

7 posts, read 25,793 times
I have friends in the SouthShore area, but they primarily use the area for deer hunting during hunting season and vacation in their cabins.
My time there was just a short few weeks in summer of 2005. I noticed that many of the older homes DO NOT have basements. To me that's just crazy in a state that has tornadoes, but the locals seem not to be worried. In fact many of the older homes were built in the 1800's. They're still standing, so take that for what it's worth. If you have already relocated and settled already in the area, well this is all old news for you, but if you or anyone else is planning a move to this area hopefully my input will be helpful. As for Catholic Churches, I didn't notice any, but I wasn't looking for a church.
Cost of living is relatively the same as many other places, especially when it comes to food costs. Rents are cheap, as was dining out, but for some reason groceries were not all that cheaper than let's say Pacifica California (where I also lived).
Schools seem to be above average for a rural area (looks wise). I saw two public schools while driving. They looked clean, but don't go on looks alone. You may want to do some research on test score stats for that area. I didn't see any colleges, but then I didn't do a complete drive through South Shores. :-)
I've only been through one tornado in my life and as I recall, the sky was a funny pale green color before the funnel clouds were spotted in the area. I never saw the funnel clouds, but there was a violent thunderstorm prior to the tornado.
Kansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Ohio, Iowa, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri and a few other states are prone to tornadoes from spring through mid fall. I didn't mention the southeast only because this thread is about Kentucky.
By the way this area, SouthShore is closer to a hilly part of West Virginia and I doubt that the threat of tornadoes are too high.
A basement is a must or a least a storm shelter, in my opinion. Don't buy a house without one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky