Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 03:07 PM

55 posts, read 127,224 times

Advertisements

There's so much good bbq in Kentucky. My favorite is Old Hickory Bar-B-Q Pit in Owensboro for it's mutton and pork. It even won the Kentucky segment of BBQ Pitmasters tv show: Owensboro's Old Hickory BBQ Wins 'BBQ Pitmasters' Cook-off | SurfKY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 11:28 AM

6,456 posts, read 9,828,016 times
I found a great place, Pure Pit BBQ in olive Hill KY, wow he has awesome stuff! we brought back 8 pounds with us to NC because it is so good!

Old 01-02-2014, 06:52 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,321,438 times
I think it is unreal to imagine there is a best BBQ place in Kentucky. They are all superior, or their doors close. Good BBQ can be made from different meats, different sauce bases (heavy tomato or vinegar) dry rub, wet dip, and a 1000 different methods.

I have tasted some bad BBQ, and usually their owners shutter up pretty quickly, but the most common reason for failure of a good tasting bbq place is management.

The quickest way to empty a restaurant in my opinion is to skimp. Price the product so skimping isn't necessary... I'll always pay well for good and plentiful BBQ

Old 01-02-2014, 08:52 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,884,169 times
Well....we don't have too many here in Eastern Kentucky yet but, it would have to be Bubby's BBQ up in Corbin for me. It's a buffet, they are closed on Monday and Tuesday like a lot of BBQ places and have a larger buffet on weekends. A lot of work goes into good BBQ, believe me I know, 12hr. cooks are common but, fun. If you got a good cooker that the temperature can be controlled is a plus. I just got an old wally world cooker so, you know how wally world stuff goes. I have plans to buy a new smoker in a month or so. It takes about three weeks to get it make and a trip gown to Georgia to pick it up. Everybody like's my outback BBQ.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:56 PM

367 posts, read 697,797 times
In Louisville Mark's Feed store .I wish Sonny's was here it's my fave. I also like City BBQ locations in Lex and Cincy.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:45 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,321,438 times
The most difficult business model in the world is to do BBQ as a multi-location restaurant. BBQ is truly a soul food. It requires the love and passion that only an entrepreneur can personally deliver. I watched one of the most recognized BBQ brands in the world try to establish multiple locations, yet, BBQ must deliver the flavor of the pit master's care.

It's almost a religion, if it's good.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:40 PM

63 posts, read 89,537 times
Owensboro, KY, THE BAR-B-Q CAPITAL OF THE WORLD. There's world-famous Moonlight with their tons of sides on the buffet, but as far as the meat goes, true Q-lovers prefer Ol' Hickory! We have lots of Bar-B-Q picnics at churches all around the area each year, and the world-famous Bar-B-Q Festival downtown each year on Mother's Day weekend. People come from all over the country and the world. Small enough to have that good ol' home-town feeling, but big enough to be worth the trip!

Old 02-04-2014, 07:16 PM

118 posts, read 251,277 times
Owensboro is The MUTTON BBQ Capitol of the World. The rest of their bbq is pedestrian. Old Hickory is the best, but I enjoy the buffets of Ole South and Moonlite. The Boro has trouble with getting pulled pork right, and have worked with the gamey-ness of mutton so much that they've developed a penchant for dowsing all chopped meat in sauce. The result is a close to a sloppy Joe, or school cafeteria bbq. You have to get sliced pork in Owensboro for it to be palatable. The city has a unique bbq heritage, and knows how to make old goats delicious, but overall does not deserve the moniker "BBQ Capitol of the World". On a similar sidenote, Monroe County style BBQ, namely thin-sliced shoulder grilled on an expanded metal grill then dipped in a spicy vinegar based sauce, is not true BBQ. I love it, it's delectable, but it is not slow smoked.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:12 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,632,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicewray View Post
There's so much good bbq in Kentucky. My favorite is Old Hickory Bar-B-Q Pit in Owensboro for it's mutton and pork. It even won the Kentucky segment of BBQ Pitmasters tv show: Owensboro's Old Hickory BBQ Wins 'BBQ Pitmasters' Cook-off | SurfKY.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfloyd View Post
Owensboro, KY, THE BAR-B-Q CAPITAL OF THE WORLD. There's world-famous Moonlight with their tons of sides on the buffet, but as far as the meat goes, true Q-lovers prefer Ol' Hickory! We have lots of Bar-B-Q picnics at churches all around the area each year, and the world-famous Bar-B-Q Festival downtown each year on Mother's Day weekend. People come from all over the country and the world. Small enough to have that good ol' home-town feeling, but big enough to be worth the trip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckessee View Post
Owensboro is The MUTTON BBQ Capitol of the World. The rest of their bbq is pedestrian. Old Hickory is the best, but I enjoy the buffets of Ole South and Moonlite. The Boro has trouble with getting pulled pork right, and have worked with the gamey-ness of mutton so much that they've developed a penchant for dowsing all chopped meat in sauce. The result is a close to a sloppy Joe, or school cafeteria bbq. You have to get sliced pork in Owensboro for it to be palatable. The city has a unique bbq heritage, and knows how to make old goats delicious, but overall does not deserve the moniker "BBQ Capitol of the World". On a similar sidenote, Monroe County style BBQ, namely thin-sliced shoulder grilled on an expanded metal grill then dipped in a spicy vinegar based sauce, is not true BBQ. I love it, it's delectable, but it is not slow smoked.

Oh please! Moonlite is better than Ol Hickory hands down!

I agree with tuckessee about the pulled pork, that's why I like Thompson's BBQ in Henderson for pulled pork better.

But if you want good BBQ mutton, you gotta go to Owensboro to Moonlite, I could eat 2lbs in one sitting if you would let me, lol!

Old 02-08-2014, 08:51 PM

118 posts, read 251,277 times
I just ate at Brothers in Campbellsville, and it is spectacular bbq in a great older building. Superbly cooked meats, creative sauces, good sides and sandwich combos. Not so much a traditional Kentucky bbq joint as it is cutting edge, cosmopolitan smoked masterpieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky