Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 01:11 PM

442 posts, read 540,397 times

Advertisements

I spent a lot of my childhood growing up in rural Appalachia and I've been left jaded about the state of Kentucky. Anyone want to make any recommendations of any beautiful vistas, great restaurants, fun events that I could see in the next few weeks in order to rekindle my pride for being a Kentuckian?

I've also felt very out of place by realizing how conservative this state is. Where are Kentucky's liberal meccas? I know Louisville probably fits that bill, but Louisville just seems kind of sprawly. Are any of the NKY cities liberal? I've noticed that there were several Confederate flags draped on porches in Newport and Covington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 01:33 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
LIke neighboring Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky tends to be largely conservative politically and socially.

Berea has a bit of a liberal vibe, but it leans more towards a creative-arts-and-crafts-traditional-music-intellectual-green-tie-dye-Birkenstocks-Appalachian-folk-scene. Hard to describe - you gotta be there and meet the locals to experience it. Great place for a daytrip, btw, especially during the Christmas season. Eat lunch or dinner at Boone Tavern, go out and hike up Indian Fort Mountain, visit the Kentucky Artisan Center and the craft shops on the Square and in Old Town, check out the antique shops on Chestnut Street, take a tour of the college campus, peek into Union Church's sanctuary with its gorgeous Christmas decorations...full day.

Shakertown is also very much worth a visit, and Old Fort Harrod and Beaumont Inn are in nearby Harrodsburg. You can't go wrong dining at either Beaumont Inn or Shakertown's Trustee's House, as both offer delicious traditional Southern favorites in elegant settings. The scenic Kentucky River Palisades can be viewed just up the road from Shakertown.

Check out the Southern Lights drive-through spectacle at the Kentucky Horse Park outside of Lexington, and tour the museum and other attractions. Take a carload with you and don't forget to tune your radio to accompanying Christmas carols.

A brand-new outdoor ice skating rink has just opened in downtown Lexington's Triangle Park, and is extremely popular. Admission is $10 and includes rental skates - oddly, there's no discount if you wear your own skates (which makes no sense and is off-putting -someone needs to rethink that policy).

Other places - where will you be based? There are attractions of various kinds throughout the state, with many in and clustering around the Bluegrass. There's mountain scenery just to the east of the Bluegrass, with the Red River Gorge's amazing geological formations fully revealed in winter, and Natural Bridge State Park's lodge offering good food in a beautiful setting. There are museums and historic house museums throughout the state.

There are lots of concerts and musical events in various places this month - see the Sunday papers or their online editions for more information. You won't lack for things to see and do in Kentucky around Christmas, which should restore your faith in your native state.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:28 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,317,232 times
A good liberal city is supposed to allow free thinking. Even if you don't like Confederate flags or what they might imply, if you are a true liberal, then the way I understand liberal mentality, you should be ok with the flag flying.

I am sick of the so-called liberal community thinking that their way is more correct than anyone elses then get upset when some one disagrees.

By the way, I don't fly a Confederate flag, never have, but I believe that in America, even if the flag is offensive to some, it is a form of free speech, and that above all else is what the Stars and Stripes stands for.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
A good liberal city is supposed to allow free thinking. Even if you don't like Confederate flags or what they might imply, if you are a true liberal, then the way I understand liberal mentality, you should be ok with the flag flying.

I am sick of the so-called liberal community thinking that their way is more correct than anyone elses then get upset when some one disagrees.

By the way, I don't fly a Confederate flag, never have, but I believe that in America, even if the flag is offensive to some, it is a form of free speech, and that above all else is what the Stars and Stripes stands for.
I guess I'm not a true liberal. I guess I'm looking moreso for a place in the state that is nice to visit that is dominated by a mobile, young, active population and doesn't really have that "churchy, old south" vibe to it.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:20 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,317,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
I guess I'm not a true liberal. I guess I'm looking moreso for a place in the state that is nice to visit that is dominated by a mobile, young, active population and doesn't really have that "churchy, old south" vibe to it.
Thank you for redirecting your question. While in my opinion, it is that old "churchy, old south" aspect of Kentucky that makes it so beautiful, I would suggest that Danville would most likely give you that liberal freedom, unfortunately, the stately Victorian era still permeates the city. You'll also be surprised with the next two. One is Owensboro, and the other is Henderson. Two old river towns with liberal arts education attitudes.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Thank you for redirecting your question. While in my opinion, it is that old "churchy, old south" aspect of Kentucky that makes it so beautiful, I would suggest that Danville would most likely give you that liberal freedom, unfortunately, the stately Victorian era still permeates the city. You'll also be surprised with the next two. One is Owensboro, and the other is Henderson. Two old river towns with liberal arts education attitudes.
I'll check those out! I'm going job searching soon.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:16 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,903,307 times
I would bet that all cities in KY with a good sized university (Murray, Richmond, Bowling Green, etc) would have tolerant point of views.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:46 PM

63 posts, read 89,507 times
I love the Cumberland area, the Falls, the Daniel Boone National Forest, Renfro Valley, Kingdom Come State Park, Jenny Wiley State Park, Breaks Interstate Park, etc. Breathtakingly beautiful!!!

Old 01-19-2014, 03:15 PM

42 posts, read 72,069 times
Lawson Bottom Rd is lovely-one of my fave parts of USA alongside Great Neck New York

Old 01-20-2014, 06:57 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,655 times
Great Neck NY?? I'm from LI and while I've never been to the town of Great Neck, I'm very familiar with the Island in general. There are some spectacular places on LI, for the most part due to the fact that it's an island and the beaches, shorelines, harbors, etc. are beautiful areas. Not disagreeing, but wondering what would put Great Neck at the top of your Favorite Places in the US List?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky