Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:30 PM

116 posts, read 212,633 times

Advertisements

We're actually moving to Madison County from Northern IL later this summer. Truthfully, I'm not looking forward to it. We were down there last week - very hot and humid. I know I'm going to miss my white, cold winters and everything that goes with them. The school my kids will be attending doesn't have the courses they were planning to take here in IL. As my mom always said - be careful what you wish for ---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:54 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Madison County has been known to receive up to 14+ inches of the white stuff at one time. It's rare to get that much, but it does happen. And you're guaranteed to see several snows of more than an inch or so next winter.

And just wait until spring. Madison County includes the northwesternmost edge of the Appalachians (just outside of Berea)- which translates to spectacular spring ephemeral wildflowers, plus sarvice, spicebush, redbud, dogwood, yellow buckeye, and more. Fall color isn't to be sneezed at, either.

If you're in the Richmond area, check out Eastern Kentucky University's Madison Model Lab. High School. It's very good.

Yes, we're having a hot and humid spell just now, as is the rest of Middle and Eastern America. It will pass. Life goes on.

I hope you'll give Madison County a chance. It has much to offer.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:04 PM

116 posts, read 212,633 times
CraigCreek - thanks for the encouraging words - I will give it a chance, for the sake of my family (who all really want to move there). I just find change a lot harder than they do. I think once I'm able to find a job and meet people/friends, I'll feel better about the decision of moving. I'll still miss IL/WI and all they have to offer - the same way I missed MO and PA when we moved from those two states. Thanks again for not being critical.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:08 PM

7 posts, read 11,739 times
Everyone, just wanted to say thank you for all of the information you have given (and hopefully keeping us in your thoughts, in case you hear of anything opening up). It's a lot to go through and mull over....but didn't want to forget to say Thank you much!!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:42 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
The Louisville area does not get much snow and when it does snow, it is rarely more than 6 inches at a time and it melts off in a day or two....my husband shoveled snow twice last year and the year before. But....it is very cold here during the winter - frigid really. The spring is early and the weather is decent until the first part of July then there is heat and humidity with an occasional really nice day.

We moved from So. California 3 years ago and we love it here...honestly there is so much more to consider than just weather and the Louisville area has so many great things going for it.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 8,592 times
Default Great Home - Great Location

I don't know how far west you are looking to go, but we currently have a home for sale in Paducah (about as far west you can go in KY without leaving the state). We love the home, but are moving to St. Louis area. Home is in a great sub-division & there are several schools offering good education for your children. The city school, Paducah Tilghman, ranks a 6/10 on the great schools website. I think that is skewed a bit because they have a great balance of upper income and low income families attending. School has produced doctors, lawyers, etc. and has good reputation locally & in state. St. Mary's is the main private school, but I don't know much about them. Lone Oak Elementary & MS rank 9/10 and their HS ranks 7/10. Reidland ranks 6 & 8 respectively while Heath ranks 8 for both. Paducah offers the small town feel with a nice lowertown district. The county has about 65,000 residents and offers all the "stuff" you need (like walmart, mall, & variety of dining) while keeping that small town "feel." If Paducah doesn't have it, Nashville is 2hrs, Louisville is 3hrs, and St. Louis is 3hrs. Paducah is just under 1 hour from Princeton. Great town for families. Hope this was helpful for you to understand the far west a little more. If your still in the market for a home, you can check our home out at www.paducahopenhouse.com It's a blog we set up to showcase our home.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:00 PM

5 posts, read 8,592 times
Default Sorry

Just read forum rules & realized that I may be in violation of "advertising." Sorry. Won't happen again.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannkelly View Post
We are a family of 4 plus 2 dogs DESPERATELY searching for a home in Western Kentucky to rent! We are in need of good schools that will challenge our girls academically. We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom home with a garage and fenced backyard. We have been ALL over and have not been lucky enough to find anything. If there is ANYthing anyone can think of to be of help, we would SOOO appreciate the help!!

There are no good public schools in western KY. Huge drop out rate too.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:18 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
d-a-k, you are painting with an extremely wide brush. Are you personally acquainted with all of the public schools in western Ky?

Old 08-27-2011, 06:29 AM

7 posts, read 11,739 times
Everyone, thought I should let you know that we have found a very nice place. I am happy with the school system they are in. Thank you all for the great advise and help, we really appreciate it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky