Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 08:56 PM

9 posts, read 33,605 times

Advertisements

I want to attend Western Kentucky University next year, but I've been researching peoples opinions about the school; it seems to be mixed. I don't want to attend anywhere else because it's the only college in the State of Kentucky and Tennessee that majors what I want, and that's Meteorology. I've been hearing that it's a great school with fairly hard classes to one of the worst schools with easy classes.

I've looked at several websites from (though a lot of websites I found had good reviews about the school, but some claim that it's not a good idea to attend)

Some of the worst things said about the school are located on Studentsreview.com, this website: WKU Student Reviews - Boring Green, Kentucky the home of WKU, and a few others.

I just want to know if I'm making the right choice to attend.

Oh, does anyone know how good the Meteorology program at WKU is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 09:48 PM

53 posts, read 124,230 times
Go Hilltoppers!!! I am a WKU graduate and proud of it! I went through the education dept. and did a double major in Elementary Ed. and Special Ed. I first started in Interior Design but then switched majors, only because I wanted to be guaranteed a job when I graduated. I have a friend that did get her degree in Interior Design and liked it too. I also have a sister that finished up her undergrad there in Art and then went on to love the photography classes there that she got a second degree in Journalism, which they are well known for. I don't know anything about the Meteorology program there, but just go to the school, tour and ask some students. It is a great campus too! Good luck and hopefully you will be able to figure it all out soon!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:57 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
I did some graduate work at WKU, but that was about the time Christopher Columbus was rowing his boats. You need to ask people who graduated from WKU in your chosen major. Ask them how a WKU education helped or hurt them. People in education, agriculture (mine), chemistry, etc are not practical for your major. They are wonderful for the social interaction, but not a good measure of the particular quality of your major.

As far as a social and academic site, WKU is a good place to develop social skills. I found the professors to be more interested in their student's than their research, too.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 AM

508 posts, read 1,511,985 times
School is usually what you make of it during your time there and the work ethic you develop & take to your first job. The school is one of the few that has your major so that should take priority.

Who cares what some other students say? The world is full (just read this forum) of experiences and places that some like and some dislike.

My brother and sister both graduated from WKU and both are doing well (I went for 1 yr). One even partied hard & had a total blast during school but also had good work ethic & good networking skills he developed @ WKU and is now making 6 figures. So much for poor academics and poor social life.....

My take from the reviews:
People do go home on weekends
People are from all over KY (mostly W KY) and Nashville area but I still thought there was a wide variety of people - hippies, farm types, Greekers, more urban types, etc.
BG is small but Nashville is very close
Lot of chain eateries there if that matters
Cops doing their job - what a shocker!

It almost sounds as if some of these reviewers attended without ever visiting BG/WKU

Old 11-15-2010, 03:03 PM

Thanks guys!

Sorry if I waisted your time, I'm just a skeptical person. Another reason why I'm attending there is that it's one of the only colleges in the Country that has a program for people who have Autism/Asperger's, and a well recognized program too (yes, I've got asperger's). I just want to make a solid choice towards my education.

I'm proud to be in Kentucky, and proud to be a Kentuckian!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro View Post
Thanks guys!

Sorry if I waisted your time, I'm just a skeptical person. Another reason why I'm attending there is that it's one of the only colleges in the Country that has a program for people who have Autism/Asperger's, and a well recognized program too (yes, I've got asperger's). I just want to make a solid choice towards my education.

I'm proud to be in Kentucky, and proud to be a Kentuckian!
Yoro, you have not wasted anyone's time! You had concerns that warranted your questions and that is what this forum is for. We gave you the advice you sought, but in answers that you didn't expect. Sorry that we sent you forward, but it was forward to find more information.

I don't think there is one person on this forum that would do anything but wish you well in your education, career and life.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Yoro, you have not wasted anyone's time! You had concerns that warranted your questions and that is what this forum is for. We gave you the advice you sought, but in answers that you didn't expect. Sorry that we sent you forward, but it was forward to find more information.

I don't think there is one person on this forum that would do anything but wish you well in your education, career and life.
I understand that, and thank you.

Anyway, it's off topic but I've been reading on your account that you have ancestors that lived in Kentucky.

I also have ancestors that lived in Kentucky that dated back to the Civil War. I'm related to a high ranking General in the Confederate Army.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro View Post
I understand that, and thank you.

Anyway, it's off topic but I've been reading on your account that you have ancestors that lived in Kentucky.

I also have ancestors that lived in Kentucky that dated back to the Civil War. I'm related to a high ranking General in the Confederate Army.
Excellent... Most of my people were on the Southern side of things too.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:54 PM

50 posts, read 165,430 times
Two of my colleagues in medical school went to WKU and loved it! it is one of the schools I would like my daughter to attend....heard nothing but good things but sure there are naysayers.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,863 times
can any one tell me how good is the masters in public health program(MPH) at western kentucky university????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: